Trac Light On

I have a '93 sc300, after start up, a few miles down the road, the TRAC light comes on in the Tachometer. No other lights are on, and it even comes on with the traction control off. I notice nothing different in the way the car rides or sounds. The owners manual says to take it to the dealer,,,, no way! Ive heard that they just disable the light and charge you a grand.

Does anyone know why this light comes on? Thanks for any help.

It can be several things. It is tied into the engine performance and the braking system. Make sure the brakes have no problem since the service engine light is not coming on. Usually the service engine light comes on when this problem occurs...

it could be in the engine compartment. you have to take off the lid and look at the picture of the fuses. it could also be in side by the drivers feet(left side?) but check the engine compartment first.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a '92 SC and have the same problem - the "trac" idiot warning light keeps coming on. Freakn' manual says "take it to dealer" without any indication of what the problem might be. Dealer wanted $105 just to diagnose - damn, I HATE DEALERS. Fuses all fine. Any other suggestions? I've got the optionaly traction system, but don't think this is related to that system? Thanks

• 9 months later...

I have a '93 sc300, after start up, a few miles down the road, the TRAC light comes on in the Tachometer. No other lights are on, and it even comes on with the traction control off. I notice nothing different in the way the car rides or sounds. The owners manual says to take it to the dealer,,,, no way! Ive heard that they just disable the light and charge you a grand.

Does anyone know why this light comes on? Thanks for any help.

Many of us are having the same problem. I "fixed" mine for a year or so by disconnecting the ABS and TRAC computers. I have the problem again and am trying to fix it following Forum advice by disconnecting the battery for a few days. I also think that cleaning the ABS and TRAC sensors in the wheels might be the problem. I will try that next if my fix doesn't work.

The TRAC light will come on if the service engine light comes on for any reason, it will also come on if there is problems with the brakes since the brakes are it's main function, if the brake pressure on the TRAC Control module is low.

If you have a TRAC light on, and no CHECK ENGINE LIGHT on, you have a problem in the TRAC system. Pulling fuses or disconnecting the battery will not fix it. Jump pins TC and E1 and read the code.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my 92 SC400. Finally decided to tke to dealer, but gave following one last shot.

Pulled fuse for Trac, left it out for a week. Drove the car as normal, TRAC light on all of the time. Put fuse back in, no light, drove abot a mile light came back on. Next day while driving I noticed the light was NOT on, that was about a month ago. Light is still not on.

I know the 'system' is working because,

The light blinks when I lose traction, just as the manual says. I have seen it blink/flash when going over slippery railroad crossing, and other such things.

Worth a shot

I had the same problem with my 92 SC400. Finally decided to tke to dealer, but gave following one last shot.

Pulled fuse for Trac, left it out for a week. Drove the car as normal, TRAC light on all of the time. Put fuse back in, no light, drove abot a mile light came back on. Next day while driving I noticed the light was NOT on, that was about a month ago. Light is still not on.

I know the 'system' is working because,

The light blinks when I lose traction, just as the manual says. I have seen it blink/flash when going over slippery railroad crossing, and other such things.

Worth a shot

I did a similar thing and mine went off for almost a year, then back on. Again, Traction control is identifying a problem with a system. Can't figure out what it is finding. Code is 54 and 43.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a 92 sc 400 with the same problem and there's no issue most of the time. The traction control is engaged about 50 percent of the time upon starting, but usually I get the light after a few kilometers or aggressive acceleration. One thing I noticed however: when your key is turned but before you start your engine, you should be able to turn the trac on and off. do this about 5 times and start it with the light off, and usually it stays off while driving.

I believe that the TRAC light comes on for many problems. Mine came on within a month of purchasing my 97' a few years ago and it turned out to be a fouling spark plug (dealer fix). Most of the problems i read on this forum involve a TRAC light. I don't know what the deal is but to me it seems like a check engine light! good luck.