Brake Pedal Depth?

Hey all,

I don't really have the money to address it right now, but on my '98 GS3, my brake pedal seems to travel awfully deep when foot pressure is applied.. almost to the floor.

I don't know if it's normal on these cars as mine is the first I've owned, and bought resale last year. But this has always sort've interested me.. Lexus techs have been through the car on 4 occasions for multiple checks and what not, and they've never mentioned a problem with it.

Is it a worry with no reason? A problem with a fix? Or an adjustment that can be made somehow, even by me?

Thanks in advance,

TEK

If the brake pedal sinks to within an inch or so of the floor then whomever last worked on the brakes might have gotten some air bubbles in the brake fluid. The solution is to bleed the brake fluid as described in the factory manual. The factory manual also give the spec for the proper brake pedal height. This all assumes you have factory pads and rotors. If they are aftermarket, then the factory manual can't necessarily be used to diagnoise aftermarket brake wierdness.

Toyota brake master cylinders last at least 20 years so the chances of one being bad are extremely remote.

If the brake pedal sinks to within an inch or so of the floor then whomever last worked on the brakes might have gotten some air bubbles in the brake fluid.  The solution is to bleed the brake fluid as described in the factory manual.  The factory manual also give the spec for the proper brake pedal height.  This all assumes you have factory pads and rotors.  If they are aftermarket, then the factory manual can't necessarily be used to diagnoise aftermarket brake wierdness.

Toyota brake master cylinders last at least 20 years so the chances of one being bad are extremely remote.

Aha... thanx Monarch..

Well thank you all for your input.. this can be a really great place somedays.. lol..

They are factory.. so I'll have a look at the manual.. and maybe get 'em checked out.. it isn't as close as an inch to the floor.. but it does travel awfully deep..

thanx again, ya'll..

“Toyota brake master cylinders last at least 20 years so the chances of one being bad are extremely remote.”

As with most things there is always an exception, I had a master cylinder go out on a 87 Toyota Cressida after 5 years.

Win