Cruise Control

Sbest

<_< Has anyone experienced the following w/their gx470? Our 2005 has less than 1500 mi yet downshifts in cruise control when encountering slight hills. Downshifts may occur 2-3 times before the hill (or rise) is negotiated. We're not talking about steep grades. All other cars we have owned (even 6 cyl) don't do this like this vehicle

<_< Has anyone experienced the following w/their gx470?  Our 2005 has less than 1500 mi yet downshifts in cruise control when encountering slight hills.  Downshifts may occur 2-3 times before the hill (or rise) is negotiated.  We're not talking about steep grades.  All other cars we have owned (even 6 cyl) don't do this like this vehicle

I drove my GX 4000 miles from Wisconsin to Phoenix and back in March. I used the cruise control almost all the way, through flat land and mountains. It did downshift on occasion on steep hills in the mountains, but I never noticed that happening where I wouldn't expect it to. That 4.7 liter V8 has tons of torque and should not need to downshift on slight hills at all.

I don't think yours is performing like it should..I'd mention it to my dealer at my next service visit.

• 2 weeks later...
<_< Has anyone experienced the following w/their gx470?  Our 2005 has less than 1500 mi yet downshifts in cruise control when encountering slight hills.  Downshifts may occur 2-3 times before the hill (or rise) is negotiated.  We're not talking about steep grades.  All other cars we have owned (even 6 cyl) don't do this like this vehicle

I have the same problem with my 2005. When in cruise control, it continuously downshifts and upshifts all the way up a gently incline. It shifts 10-15 times up a long hill. It is not tolerable and I just turn it off on a hill. I sent it to the dealer and just got it back. But the note just says the cruise control is operating as designed. SOME DESIGN! I talked to the service manager and she said that Lexus has not issued anything on it.

And by the way, it still clunks after having a new driveshaft installed.

I believe that the barbaric way to fix this is to disable over drive, and then enable cruise control so it is cruising at a higher RPM, and then when the road flattens out, turn over drive back on.