Anybody Ever Paint Their Hubs And Calipers?

I've got to paint the hubs (definate) and calipers (good possibility) next. The new wheels show to much rust on the hubs and the calipers would look nice the same color.

I was thinking of going with VHT paint (900° paint).

The color would be silver to match the car or black to match the tires. Haven't decided yet.

Has anyone done this, and if so, got any tips?

steviej

I had the shop that installed my new 17" Milles paint the calipers. The tech and I had hit it off when I was ordering the wheels, so he agreed to paint the calipers during the install as long as I brought my own paint. I used silver engine spray (1500 degrees F, I think). Unfortunately, a couple of weeks later, a caliper got bent from hitting a pothole on the freeway (at least the rim was unscathed, I had it professionally examined :), although the CV boot and halfshaft were damaged too and needed to be replaced ). I had the caliper replaced, but the shop didn't have time to repaint it that day (although they gave me a sweet discount--they've been trying to kiss up to me after all the delays on the rims). Luckily, it's brand new, so it just looks a bit darker.

I was going to do the rear rotor hats (the part where the e-brake fits into was rusty), but I knew I was replacing the rear rotors soon anyway (did so on Tuesday).

A buddy saw my calipers, and wanted the same on his Pontiac. We just masked off the fenderwell and things behind the caliper, and sprayed away. Some people recommend pulling the brake pads, but we were concerned about getting the shims perfectly aligned afterwards, so we just masked those, too. We did three coats on each caliper, since that what the tech at the shop said he did to mine. When the weather cools down a bit, I may very well go back and do that replacement caliper on mine.

the vht ( very high temp)

is crap

use it and you will be redoing it sooner or later

even on brand new and clean rotors and calpiers

used it once and it flaked off slowly

also a real pain to remove the left over in creases

i love the folia tech stuff

also rebagded by tire rack

it is a 3 component kit

1 can of brake clean spray

and a resin and epoxy to mix which becomes hard liek rock

it also has a slight mettalic to it and dries with a clear coat of sorts

it is ttruley amazing looking and lasts

the tire rack stuff was more than 4 times more expensive but is brush on.

Anyway, turns out the painting will have to wait.

I am getting all new rotors and pads from Lexus at no cost on the 19th. The dreaded brake pulsation problem has fallen upon me.

Turns out, the 02-03 have a material mismatch problem and whent he brakes are heated up, they pulsat and if left too long, the rotors will warp.

I will paint after that.

steveij

once you pick the car up just brush it on since it is nice and clean no rust or mild corrosion to worry about

oh ayh the stuff it 4 times more expensive about $45 here and $8 for the can

but like we all know you get what you pay for

I thought of just getting the parts and doing it myself, but the service guy said he has to install them to keep in line with the Lexus protocal for no cost service work.

I will paint shortly thereafter though, as you all noted.

The tirerack stuff is $38/kit.

steviej