Speedometer And Tach Stick At 0

akewlguy

• 4 months later...

• 1 month later...

Celica XX -

The problem with the tachometer and speedometer is not fixed by Jim Walker's capacitor replacement job.

I have discussed this problem with Jim, and he is aware of it. However, as far as I know, he has not come up with a fix for it.

• 8 months later...

Hey ladies and gents..

My speedometer and tach are sticking at 0??

Any ideas.. I tap the dash and they move to proper readings... Somtimes it takes after 30 seconds sometimes after 2 minutes..??

Did you ever find a solution to this issue?

Joe

Hey akewl,

Have same problem with my 93. Check out ebay. One of the instrument panel repair guys says he can fix and will guarantee for 5 years. Only catch its $450 not $150 as the teaser says.

Here is the reference:

Top Picks from bo268 (27) 100.0% Positive Feedback

1 items listed on eBay

LEXUS LS400/430(93-06) speedometer cluster repair

US $150.00

Shipping: +US $30.00

End time: Aug-19-06 17:23:11 PDT

Good luck All

Ron

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone. First of all, I want to thank all of you Lexus owners that have put your trust in me and my repairs over that past several years. I have repaired many hundreds of these (probably well over a thousand, I lost count). I appoligise for not coming onto this forum more often to clear up a lot of the mis-information that crops up all too often. It seems that if someone writes some misleading information it gets repeated by others without verifying if it's true or not. If something gets repeated enough, it seems to be eventually accepted as fact. I don't mean to offend anyone that may be doing this, I'm sure they are just trying to help.

Case in point - The sticking speedometer problem WILL NOT, I repeat, WILL NOT be fixed by cleaning the silver eyelets on the circuit boards. Those eyelets carry the high voltage to the needles to light the needles. They have absolutely nothing to do with the deflection of the speedometer or any other gauge for that matter.

The ONLY sure cure for the sticking speedometer gauge problem is to replace the speedometer gauge assembly with a brand new Lexus factory speedometer gauge. Being a Lexus Factory part, you can expect to pay quite a bit. I stock those speedometer gauge assemblies and I buy them in quantity to get the best price that I can get. I pass that savings on to my customers.

That is just one example of some of the mis-information that is being tossed about on the internet. This forum is one of the best sources of information that I have ever seen. However, there are a few people that insist on spreading mis-information even here.

LOC is the greatest! Keep up the good work!

Jim Walker the Lex-pert

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jim,

How do I get a hold of you? i have a 93 ls400 with speedometer and light flickering problem.

Thanks,

jt

Jim Walker can be reached at: jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net

There is an extended thread about this problem in the "sticky" section of the LS 400 forum.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey ladies and gents..

My speedometer and tach are sticking at 0??

Any ideas.. I tap the dash and they move to proper readings... Somtimes it takes after 30 seconds sometimes after 2 minutes..??

I had a 94 LS that did the same thing. The idle speed sensor(i believe) is what went bad. Replacing That resolved the issue for me

Hi,

Can you provide more details about the idle speed sensor ? eg. price, where to get it, what does it look like, where is it on the car, easy to replace?

Thanks

VH

91 LS400

Oh geez, it was about 4yrs ago. If i remember correct the part was "only" 90-120$ I had the luxury of having a cetified toyota guy who worked off the clock back then. What i do remember was it was removed and replaced from under the car, not to mention he did this in his driveway! Unfortunatly he has since moved so i can't reference him on the details. I would call lexus service and ask about the part and its location. I'm sorry it's so blurry, but i hope it helps:)

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Every little bit helps. I will check with Lexus Service dept.

Have a wonderful Xmas / New Year everybody :cheers:

VH

Hi,

Can you provide more details about the idle speed sensor ? eg. price, where to get it, what does it look like, where is it on the car, easy to replace?

Thanks

VH

91 LS400

Oh geez, it was about 4yrs ago. If i remember correct the part was "only" 90-120$ I had the luxury of having a cetified toyota guy who worked off the clock back then. What i do remember was it was removed and replaced from under the car, not to mention he did this in his driveway! Unfortunatly he has since moved so i can't reference him on the details. I would call lexus service and ask about the part and its location. I'm sorry it's so blurry, but i hope it helps:)

• 4 months later...
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Every little bit helps. I will check with Lexus Service dept.

Have a wonderful Xmas / New Year everybody :cheers:

VH

Hi,

Thanks

VH

91 LS400

Whatever you do, I would not recommend DASHUSA for any speedometer or any repair of any kind. DashUSA Auto Electronics & Speedometer http://dashusa.com/ . They have had my instrument cluster for over a month and three weeks ago they were paid and was told by Steve's rep that the cluster would be shipped that day. Its now three weeks later and I have called them various times and left messages. The last two times (about two weeks ago) was the last time I talked to STEVE himself and he told me both times that he would call me back, and to this day has not. I am unable to use my car for over a month now. I left them a message to either send the repaired item back or refund the money and send back the cluster and I can take it elsewhere for repairs, but no luck. They have caller ID, so they are avoiding my calls. This is a sad way of doing business. I found out that I was not the only one complaining about DASHUSA, they have had complaints filed with the Better Business Bureau so I decided to file one myself. BUYER BEWARE OF DASHUSA I just found out through this site that they have a toll free number. I would hate for you to send in your instrument cluster and go through this. If anyone can get a hold of this place let me know. I will be contacting Jim Walker and hear nothing but GREAT things about him especially online...I bought this car for my wife and now its sitting in the driveway...

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.

I am going to purchase the sensors (2) from Autozone but am still waiting for the detailed location (somewhere near the transmission). I requested Lexls to reply but no luck so far.

Thanks

VH

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.

I am going to purchase the sensors (2) from Autozone but am still waiting for the detailed location (somewhere near the transmission). I requested Lexls to reply but no luck so far.

Thanks

VH

Those must be the vehicle speed sensors. I will be watching for your results!

speedsensor.pdf

• 2 months later...
Hello everyone. First of all, I want to thank all of you Lexus owners that have put your trust in me and my repairs over that past several years. I have repaired many hundreds of these (probably well over a thousand, I lost count). I appoligise for not coming onto this forum more often to clear up a lot of the mis-information that crops up all too often. It seems that if someone writes some misleading information it gets repeated by others without verifying if it's true or not. If something gets repeated enough, it seems to be eventually accepted as fact. I don't mean to offend anyone that may be doing this, I'm sure they are just trying to help.

Case in point - The sticking speedometer problem WILL NOT, I repeat, WILL NOT be fixed by cleaning the silver eyelets on the circuit boards. Those eyelets carry the high voltage to the needles to light the needles. They have absolutely nothing to do with the deflection of the speedometer or any other gauge for that matter.

The ONLY sure cure for the sticking speedometer gauge problem is to replace the speedometer gauge assembly with a brand new Lexus factory speedometer gauge. Being a Lexus Factory part, you can expect to pay quite a bit. I stock those speedometer gauge assemblies and I buy them in quantity to get the best price that I can get. I pass that savings on to my customers.

That is just one example of some of the mis-information that is being tossed about on the internet. This forum is one of the best sources of information that I have ever seen. However, there are a few people that insist on spreading mis-information even here.

LOC is the greatest! Keep up the good work!

Jim Walker the Lex-pert

\

Jim, my tack stays on 0...I recently installed a new cluster and it blew out the tack gauge again....seems like a short somewhere....has this happen to you before

The instrument panel repair facility known as Mr. Whizard has come to the conclusion that the sticking tach and speedometer needles is caused by a combination of heat and the effect heat has on a lubricant used internally in the instrument panel.

Read the following posting on their website:

http://www.mrwhizard.com/Repair%20Pricing.cfm#Start

After their home screen comes up, click on the Lexus section of the website.

Note the cost of their repair.

• 4 weeks later...

Mr Whizard here:

Regarding the sticking Speedo and Tach needles. I previously stated on my website that the sticking was caused by viscous lubricant in the motors - this was incorrect. With further evaluation we finally have a fix for the problem. It does not involve changing the individual gauge motors but rather applying a modification to the gauges. The modification does not alter the look of the clusters ie no visible items are added.

We have priced this repair what we feel is very reasonable as there is considerable work to apply the modification.

Pricing: Repair sluggish needles: $189; Repair backlighting, fuel gauge problems, partially lit needles and sluggish needle modification (complete rebuild): $289

For more info visit our website http://www.mrwhizard.com