Install An Additional Battery?

A question for the '98 ES300 owners.

My car seems to drain the battery very quickly and when I mentioned this to my Lexus Dealer he said,

" Yes, that model does that, nothing you can really do about 'cept disconnect the battery if your not going to drive the car for a few days or install a second battery."

I do not claim any expertise in automotive systems but what exactly does the car need to draw power from the battery while parked in my garage and if it does what could posssibly need so much power that it drains the battery in a matter of days?

Thanks for your help,

js

have the battery load tested, usually free from Sears and Autozone. It may be the battery is not holding full charge to begin with.

have the output from the alternator checked, it may be the battery is not being charged to potential. May be the voltage regulator (usually inside modern alternators) is faulty.

If replacement of alternator or battery is not the solution then read on.

This appeared in my Thurday "Ask the Doctor" auto column in the local paper. It is written by a very knowledgable local mechanic with a nationally aired radio show on Saturdays.

Q: After only 18 months of ownership, I had to have the battery replaced on my 2001 Buick Park Avenue, and shortly thereafter, the alternator. The car has only 14,000 miles on it. I called GM and was told that I do not drive the car enough.

Some things in the anwer may apply to you, I copied only the ones that applied to the battery stuff.

A: Because today's vehicles have a lot of electronics, the battery can drain down to a very low state if the vehicle is left sitting for several weeks or longer. Also, driving short trips will cause short battery life. I suggest using an automatic trickle battery charger. Check with you local Interstate bettery dealer for the small automatic trickle charger. The cost is less than $50.

steviej.