• 22.0-22.9
    • 23.0-23.9
    • 24.0-24.9
    • 25.0-25.9
    • 26.0-26.9
    • 27.0-27.9
    • 28.0-28.9
    • 29.0-29.9

Please enter your gas mileage on the most recent tank of gas. You should reset your mileage on the Consumption screen when you fill up to get this data.

This poll will generate a composite of many different driving styles, degrees of Hybrid system breakin, etc, but still will be interesting. Later we can do this again for drivers with more than 2000 miles on the car, etc. to get more nearly optimal numbers.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that VERY hard to believe. You sure you're not reporting Kilometers per Gallon ;<).

Also, while it is possible that for a period of time at high speed, going downhill for example, that the car will run on batteries even at high speed (I've seen this at speeds over 70 MPH), and that this will generate PEAK gas mileage figures that are very high, the average of a full driving cycle is what we're interested in here. Real world, day to day stuff.

Thanks,

Neuromancer

Your check boxes are not complete.

Cruising at 120 MPH on the German autobahn the car returned 25.2 MPG

With the cruise control set at 70 MPH on a UK motorway it returned 36.4 MPG

Happy motoring

I find that VERY hard to believe.  You sure you're not reporting Kilometers per Gallon ;<).

Also, while it is possible that for a period of time at high speed, going downhill for example, that the car will run on batteries even at high speed (I've seen this at speeds over 70 MPH), and that this will generate PEAK gas mileage figures that are very high, the average of a full driving cycle is what we're interested in here.  Real world, day to day stuff.

Thanks,

Neuromancer

Your check boxes are not complete.

Cruising at 120 MPH on the German autobahn the car returned 25.2 MPG

With the cruise control set at 70 MPH on a UK motorway it returned 36.4 MPG

Happy motoring

Isn't the gallon a different measure in the UK. I believe the imperial gallon is larger than the US gallon. I think it is 10 pounds of water rather than 8 pounds of water or 25% more which at least partially explains the difference.

Your approach is overly simplisic. Example: I tow with mine and get 20 mpg at 65mph towing a 1400 lb boat and trailer and 25 to 29 when not in mixed drving.

You need at least a speed range or driving conditions, towing, mountains etc.

On the UK numbers I expect the difference is the gallon size. A UK gallon is approximately 1.20 times a US gallon.

Ron

I have now driven a little over 1000 miles on my RX400h with a mixture of city and highway miles. I have really been babying this car, coasting whenever possibe, starting of from red lights like a grandma (sorry grandma). No matter what I do the very best average MPG is 25.2. This is with no passengers and no air conditioning.

I find it very hard to believe that other RX400h vehicles are getting vastly different mileage.

jj, how has the temperature been since you got the car? AC adds a significant load. With our recent high temps, I've been running a bit under 25 mpg.

We were running something between 26 and 27 before the weather heated up. Also short trips hurt mileage and the combination of short trips and lots of AC is even worse.

jj, how has the temperature been since you got the car? AC adds a significant load. With our recent high temps, I've been running a bit under 25 mpg.

We were running something between 26 and 27 before the weather heated up.  Also short trips hurt mileage and the combination of short trips and lots of AC is even worse.

I'm surprise that short trips hurt the gas mileage, I had the impression that hybrids do real good (mpg-wise) on short trips because of all the stop & go's.

We were running something between 26 and 27 before the weather heated up.  Also short trips hurt mileage and the combination of short trips and lots of AC is even worse.

I'm surprise that short trips hurt the gas mileage, I had the impression that hybrids do real good (mpg-wise) on short trips because of all the stop & go's.

Hybrids do really on very slow (city-type) trips, not short as in a quick 2-mile trip to the grocery store-trips. There is a difference in that the slow trip beyond a certain distance ensures that the oil is fully heated (less viscous = more horsepower).

NEWSFLASH! Oil prices have surpassed $61 per barrel and fuel prices continue to skyrocket, silencing naysayers of the whole hybrid phenomenon in which Toyota has invested so much. Our payoff time continues to drop! :cheers:

My 21.06 mpg came at 2,307 miles!

Odom. MPG

546 22.27

866 22.89

1,100 21.38

1,409 21.95

1,715 21.14

2,026 22.32

2,307 21.06

This all is calculated and not from the car MPG readings. I was told to give it 5,000 miles before drawing any conclusion. Almost all of this was in city with some freeway miles. :angry:

Patt, sorry it has taken me so long to respond, haven't been on lately. The temperature has not been a factor. I live in San Diego by the beach and I have rarely used the AC.

It seems that no matter what I do, I can't push the Average MPG past 25.2. I think that the people that report higher MPG must reset their computer frequently and take the best average. That is really not the way to do it. I believe that once you reset (using the Nav Screen) to remove the factory and dealer testing miles, you should not reset the average MPG. A true average should be over a long period of time, not just one tank. I now have about 1300 miles on the RX400 and have filled the tank three times. ;)

It seems that no matter what I do, I can't push the Average MPG past 25.2.  I think that the people that report higher MPG must reset their computer frequently and take the best average.  That is really not the way to do it.  I believe that once you reset (using the Nav Screen) to remove the factory and dealer testing miles, you should not reset the average MPG.  A true average should be over a long period of time, not just one tank.  I now have about 1300 miles on the RX400 and have filled the tank three times.  ;)

I've been resetting the computer for specific trips and I'm able to get more detail on where the mileage goes. One thing is for certain, short trips kill your mileage! Even more than highway miles, which is now at around 26-27mpg depending on speed.

I have nearly 1000 miles on it now. I clocked 33.7 mpg on a trip 13 mile trip through 35-40 mph suburban roads with the average hills and stop signs/lights. Coming back I didn't reset it and got 31 mpg total for a 33 mile round trip.

When I drove it during the week to work and other short ~2 mile trips, the mileage goes down quickly. If I reset the computer to check on those "short hops around town" -I get barely over 24-25 mpg which is lower than my highway mileage.

Well I wasn't alowed to vote because I "already voted". But we just got the car Thursday 7/7 and I haven't voted yet. In just under 450 miles we are averaging 25.8 MPG with 70% highway, 30% city-like driving. Without breaking in I would say thats pretty good. I'm pleased.

In just under 450 miles we are averaging 25.8 MPG with 70% highway, 30% city-like driving. Without breaking in I would say thats pretty good. I'm pleased.

I am curious Lexbone, do you drive on fairly flat terrain? I noticed that a LX400h owner from Florida seemed to get higher mileage also.

I am now right in between 24.9 and 25.0 MPG and it seems to be a real battle to try to keep it over 25. I am wondering if it is because I live on a hill in San Diego with many hills and canyons.

One thing I am convinced of; the car definately gets better MPG on the freeway. Once a week I take a 50 mile round trip and can get the average up about .1

The LX400h was supposed to get better mileage around town. The fact that it does not is disapointing. The electric motors were supposed to work a little harder and ease the burden on the ICE.

If anyone gets the Wall Street Journal, check out the article on our Hybrid! If you don't get it, let me write a short thing on what they said

2006 lexus 400h

epa fuel economy 31/27

miles driven 271

our test: trip odometer /fuel calculation: 27.2/27.198

comments: since most of the test was on state highways, we also let the car sit in painfully slow detroit rushhour traffic: over six miles, it averaged 34.9mpg

Well, there you have it!

2006 lexus 400h

epa fuel economy 31/27

miles driven 271

comments: since most of the test was on state highways, we also let the car sit in painfully slow detroit rushhour traffic: over six miles, it averaged 34.9mpg

Let me know what you get after a couple of more tank fulls. Make sure to not reset your MPG counter on the Nav Screen. It sounds like you have been resetting it which does not give you an accurate average. A longer average should include short trips to the store and such.

If you still get such great MPG, let me know why you think my MPG is so much lower.

Please ... no posts from Lexus employees. <_<

"I am curious Lexbone, do you drive on fairly flat terrain? I noticed that a LX400h owner from Florida seemed to get higher mileage also."

Mileage has been in suburban and rural Maryland, so gentle hills are the norm. Some stop and go on a trip to the Eastern Shore. We will try out the 400h on a long trip to Colorado with some altitude driving there in August. I will give another accounting then.

2006 lexus 400h

epa fuel economy 31/27

miles driven 271

Let me know what you get after a couple of more tank fulls. Make sure to not reset your MPG counter on the Nav Screen. It sounds like you have been resetting it which does not give you an accurate average. A longer average should include short trips to the store and such.

If you still get such great MPG, let me know why you think my MPG is so much lower.

Please ... no posts from Lexus employees. <_<

That wasn't me, but whoever tested it and wrote the article in the Wall Street Journal. I average around 25-26mpg, but then again, I do all highway

Let me know what you get after a couple of more tank fulls.  Make sure to not reset your MPG counter on the Nav Screen.  It sounds like you have been resetting it which does not give you an accurate average.  A longer average should include short trips to the store and such.

Please ... no posts from Lexus employees.    <_<

Short trips in the 400h kill your mileage.

Am I wrong in suspecting that is the cause of most complaints?

"Short trips in the 400h kill your mileage.

Am I wrong in suspecting that is the cause of most complaints?"

I think you are on to something there Philly. Someone else mentioned that the oil viscosity is higher at cold temps. Maybe that explains the disasterous mileage on short trips.

However, everone has to go to the store, to school, to work, to the tennis club. Lexus should have considered this when they posted the 30/27 MPG. Remember that the 30 MPG was supposed to be around town...i.e., short trips.

First of all, short trips will kill your oil quickly, so avoid them like the plague. Secondly, it doesn't matter what vehicle you are driving (except pure-electrics) - short trips kill mileage. The beauty of full hybrids is that you can get stuck in daily traffic and actually gain mileage compared to just cruising at highway speeds.

As a general rule-of-thumb, make sure all trips are at least 8-10 miles long or are combined to achieve this distance.

My 21.06 mpg came at 2,307 miles! 

Odom.      MPG

546 22.27

866 22.89

1,100 21.38

1,409 21.95

1,715 21.14

2,026 22.32

2,307 21.06

This all is calculated and not from the car MPG readings.  I was told to give it 5,000 miles before drawing any conclusion.  Almost all of this was in city with some freeway miles. :angry:

What section of the country do you live in ?? I found that the HOT weather with the AC on really has an affect on the milage. I'm getting 22 -23 in 90º weather. I' not thrilled either

Greetings,

I often get just above 27 mpg on round trips to work with mix driving conditions and air conditioning turned on.

About 22, less than 15 minute trips in town during 100 to 110 F temparatures and air conditioning turned on.

About 30.2, round trips to work with air conditioning turned OFF.

Best mileage occurs after first 5 minutes and driving 35 to 60 mph.

Sincerely,

BillT