LS 400 GPS (Navigation System)

gerald dyer

• 11 months later...

I have a LS400 2000 model and i am trying to get my Nav update but the dealer, where i bought the car from, refused to do it and the sales already left the company. It's the hard drive version which is difficult to get it update. I wonder is there any way that i can update my nav without going through the dealer?

Thanks a million.

• 6 years later...

:cry:

I have a 1998 LS-400. When I attempt to use my navigation system for directions, It gives me the following message: "CHECK HARD DISK".

Please Help....any advice will be appreciated.

Did you replace the hard disk? Did it work?

• 8 years later...

Apologies for bringing this post from the dead, but it was the most applicable to my situation.  1998 Lexus LS400, VIN JT8BH28F1W0120418, 

I get this same error in my car, and I know why. The hard drive unit within the GPS/Nav computer has been removed. My question is, does anyone know where I can source the actual hard drive from?  I'm not talking about the Nav computer, which is PN 8684150040 and physically installed in the vehicle.   

Ive been looking online for the past couple of days and I find absolutely no reference to the actual hard drive unit itself which should be installed in the GPS computer.  

Thanks for any help. 

1 hour ago, PaulM73 said:

Apologies for bringing this post from the dead, but it was the most applicable to my situation.  1998 Lexus LS400, VIN JT8BH28F1W0120418, 

I get this same error in my car, and I know why. The hard drive unit within the GPS/Nav computer has been removed. My question is, does anyone know where I can source the actual hard drive from?  I'm not talking about the Nav computer, which is PN 8684150040 and physically installed in the vehicle.   

Ive been looking online for the past couple of days and I find absolutely no reference to the actual hard drive unit itself which should be installed in the GPS computer.  

Thanks for any help. 

A salvage company may be your only option or maybe advertise for one on this or the "other" Lexus forum.  Some people have replaced their in-dash nav units with modern systems and may be willing to sell or even give you their hard drive.  The last update (hard drive exchange) from Lexus was in 2004.

Jim,  Thanks for the response; that's what I kind of figured. I'm aware that the last update was 2004, but would like to get the nav running as more of a nostalgia thing. That, and I'm working on restoring the car to as close to "like new" condition as I can. I'm about 85% of the way and getting a hard-drive for the NAV would be icing on the cake, as that's the only factory option on the car that doesn't function properly. 

This car and I have a very long history and many more years ahead of us. 

Thanks again! 

I am thinking to upgrade my stereo with modern functions like Apple Play and Android. With  Apple & Google Maps, no longer need NAV updates. Do you guys have any recommendation about Brands?