Paint Quality, Issues With Paint

tiki43

Anyone having severe and 'unusual', chips, nicks, clear coat cloudign with their IS300? I am and I notified Lexus, but unfortunately, there's no TSB because enough of us have not brought it to their attention. Let's get together a FORMAL campaign to get LEXUS to fix the shoddy paint on the IS300. This is not acceptable!!!

I've noticed that the paint seems unusually soft. Yesterday I called the dealer to order a bottle of "touch up" paint and was told that the Crystal White is on back-order and it will take about 6 weeks to get it. It seems to me that if touch-up paint is on back-order for a 2003 color that there is definitely a problem. I just got my 90 day customer satisfaction survey and I am going to let Lexus know exactly how I feel about this paint. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

yes.

I bought my is300 last september and i have complained about the crappy paint job.After washing the car over the winter season i notice scratch marks on the doors and hood. I washed the car at a coin pressure wash place. My car has never seen winter. This coin wash i have being going to for 12 years with my talon. that car never scratched from the wash. I`wash my car every week. Know i have do it by hand. The dealership says nothing.

I got a chip below my drivers door on the panel were the alum. plate is a couple days after buying the car.

I know exactly what you guys are talking about. My Black IS300 I just got 4 months already has to bad chips on the hood! I mean my 92' Toyota Corolla did not getting any chips. I think they did weak paint job on the car. But the chips might be just coincidence. 8( :pirate:

I would agree with you. I think the paint and clear coat looks great, but chips too easily. Not only that, I have the graphite coated (or whatever you call them) wheels and the graphite is chipping really bad too.

As far as the scratches go in the clear; I haven't had this problem at all, but always wash by hand. I would NEVER consider using the brush at the car wash. You never know what the person washed with it before you!!

Hi Everyone... newbie here :D

Anyway, I agree that the paint is really thin and very easy to chip. I have many stone chips on the hood so I'm considering getting the plastic cover for it. I used to drive a Corolla and I've never had that problem before.

And be careful of the wash bays. Don't go too close with the power sprayer or you might take off some paint!! :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I talked to my dealership about it and they said that its a problem with all lexus cars not the lexus SUVS. The guy said that there cars are more aerodynamic so the rocks slide on thema nd cause more damage done would a rock hitting straight on (i.e. the suvs). The best to do guys is to contact your dealership and talk to them about Clear Shield. Its a great product to protect your hood and everything int he front, cost money but its worth preserving your car before its to late <_< .

I agree with most in this string - the paint durability on my '02 IS 300 is terrible. I've had mine just over a year and it has far more paint chips than any other car that I've owned. I have a VW Golf as well, with five times as many miles on it, and it has just a few paint chips on its front end.

I have also asked the dealership and Lexus about this, but got the runaround from both. The same "because the front end is slanted" excuse was given. Logic says to me that a flatter, more square front end would get more chips, as it creates an opportunity to create a more direct hit that would cause damage.

It's embarrassing to spend $30k plus on a brand with a reputation for quality and get this. Makes me want to consider a G35 or S4 next time around.

I just placed a special order today for an IS300. I was told that all Lexus models with the Black Onyx exterior paint does not have a clear coat ! All the other colors do though. I even touched an IS300 in black and another IS300 in a different color and you can definitely tell the difference. This makes a huge difference in the longevity of paint on a car. This was the main reason I didn't choose black. My father has an LS400 in a pearl white color and the paint is incredible. Due mostly in part by the thickness of the clear coat.

I agree with most in this string - the paint durability on my '02 IS 300 is terrible.  I've had mine just over a year and it has far more paint chips than any other car that I've owned.  I have a VW Golf as well, with five times as many miles on it, and it has just a few paint chips on its front end.

I have also asked the dealership and Lexus about this, but got the runaround from both.  The same "because the front end is slanted" excuse was given.  Logic says to me that a flatter, more square front end would get more chips, as it creates an opportunity to create a more direct hit that would cause damage. 

It's embarrassing to spend $30k plus on a brand with a reputation for quality and get this.  Makes me want to consider a G35 or S4 next time around.

Trust me.. you don't want a g35.. especially not the coupe. I test drove one last weekend and the car is just not setup right at all. Very loose suspension for the amount of hp in it. Okay, so it's a sport luxury coupe....but why put a 280bhp in it if the chasis can't handle it.. also, a lot of engine noise in the cockpit.. So I settled for an '04' IS300.. I can't wait to get it...

I just placed a special order today for an IS300. I was told that all Lexus models with the Black Onyx exterior paint does not have a clear coat ! All the other colors do though. I even touched an IS300 in black and another IS300 in a different color and you can definitely tell the difference. This makes a huge difference in the longevity of paint on a car. This was the main reason I didn't choose black. My father has an LS400 in a pearl white color and the paint is incredible. Due mostly in part by the thickness of the clear coat.

Unless you want to end up like the rest of us, highly recommend you see if your dealer has a clear film kit available to protect the hood. Get it installed as soon as you take delivery. Otherwise, you'll likely end up irritated at the pock marks that result from every little stone, and I have a silver IS, not a black one.

Hi,

I have a 93 ES300 and it has to be the best finish I've seen on any car. Most people think it's brand new. So whatever dealer said that it's a problem with all Lexus cars is full of it. It looks like you guys are up for a helluva fight, and don't quit - I want to buy one of those IS300s in a couple of years, so make sure you get them to fix your cars!

Lexus is in the process of repainting my Topaz color 1999 LX470, due to fading paint on the hood and roof. The factory rep indicated that this was not the first issue with this color, but they have been very cooperative and helpful on resolving the defect.

How did you contact the factory rep? I have tried with the dealer and with the online customer service staff, with nothing more than "It's because the hood slopes so much". I want to press on.