Where Can I Find A Chrome Grille?

Well I just got done with it about 30 minutes ago. It took me about 1 1/2 hours and it was easier than I thought. I ended up using some stuff called Citristrip.....it worked. B)

I don't have a digital camera but here are some pics off my camera phone. I wish I had the patience to do a little bit more of it......maybe someday soon. :whistles:

The first two pics are before and the last two are after....

before1.jpg

before2.jpg

after1.jpg

after2.jpg

Since the surface you chromed is not flat, it has a rolled or bevelled edge, how did you get a straight line down the sides?

I was looking at mine trying to figure out how to make it perfectly straight. Only idea I have so far is taping, and hoping the gel doesn't seep beneath the tape.

Close up pics of a single slat would be great.

The stuff I used wasn't really all that strong. Even after letting it sit on the grill for 15 minutes the paint still didn't just wipe away. I had to scrub with the steel wool and work at some smaller areas to get it off. So I really didn't have to worry about it taking the paint off in areas I didn't want it to.

I will try and get a closeup for you later today.

The stuff I used wasn't really all that strong. Even after letting it sit on the grill for 15 minutes the paint still didn't just wipe away. I had to scrub with the steel wool and work at some smaller areas to get it off. So I really didn't have to worry about it taking the paint off in areas I didn't want it to.

I will try and get a closeup for you later today.

Great, thanks.

Did the steel wool scratch up the painted surface on the sides?

go on ebay and in the search column type in lexus gs300 and there is one that is $175.00. I bought 1 for my car in know u have a gs300 but the grill will fit ur car. Also i bought H.I.D's 8000k & they are bright !Removed! sh*^. if u need the link to that site or the number holla @ me. The hid's was 305 shipped. :cheers:

• 1 month later...
go on ebay and in the search column type in lexus gs300 and there is one that is $175.00. I bought 1 for my car in know u have a gs300 but the grill will fit ur car. Also i bought H.I.D's 8000k & they are bright !Removed! sh*^. if u need the link to that site or the number holla @ me. The hid's was 305 shipped. :cheers:

I decided to remove the paint off of the vertical grille slats. It took 1/2 hour being careful with Zip Strip gel paint remover. Apply a little at a time and the paint just wiped off then I finished with superfine steelwhool and it looks like NEW. Yippee !!!

Before, During, After pix.

post-1634-1124130656_thumb.jpg

post-1634-1124130666_thumb.jpg

post-1634-1124130680_thumb.jpg

Most likely the first one to do this mod over a year ago.  B)

Is there chrome under the grille paint of the first gen LS400'S ?

Well, I'm not sure about LS 400's but, check out your center emblem, if it has that grey textured coating that matches the rest of the grille then you can most likely take it off. You see, Lexus manufactures the entire grille chrome and then masks off the emblem and the outside ring, everything else is painted over with a black/gray coating (paint). I found out about my car when about a year and a half ago I wanted to make a mesh grille, I did, and it looked bananas - really hot. But after a few months the finish on the mesh that I was using became dull, so I took it off... I had it fastened over my existing grille. When I took it off I noticed a lot of scratches, but they looked chrome! So I said F&&k it, let me scrape it down and see if there is chrome under the whole thing. I figured if worst comes to worst ... if I screw it up, it will give me an excuse to buy an aftermarket grille. So there, that is the whole story. Hey .... I had to tell someone. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...