Detail Advice

I bought a Black Onyx 2006 Lexus GS300 a few weeks ago and need some advice on how to keep it as good looking as possible. This is the first car I've owned worth being proud about, so I know next to nothing about proper car care.

I've read countless documents about detailing, polishing, waxing, etc, but have no idea how to create a good routine based on my needs and limitations.

I park outdoors and the black seems to pickup dirt very quickly.

I got a membership at the local hands only carwash. They do an OK job, but there's much more room for improvement.

I'm a workaholic most of the waking day and go to school the rest. Any suggestions how I can get into a process of using the carwash as a pre-clean and possibly polishing and waxing afterwards myself... considering time as a factor?

Thanks!

It would depend upon the condition of the vehicles surface and what you consider a level of detail you would be satisfied with.

An approx time estimate for detailing:

Wash 1.0 –1.5 hours

Clay 1.5 – 2.0

Polish 2.0 – 3.0

Apply sealant 1.5 – 2.0

Apply wax 1.5 – 2.0

Interior 2.0 3.0

Tyres / wheels 1.5 –2.0

Once the vehicle is fully detailed regular maintenace would ensure that this level of detail could be maintained without this much of a time commitment

JonM

quote=Butta,Jun 16 2005, 11:53 PM]

I bought a Black Onyx 2006 Lexus GS300 a few weeks ago and need some advice on how to keep it as good looking as possible. This is the first car I've owned worth being proud about, so I know next to nothing about proper car care.

I've read countless documents about detailing, polishing, waxing, etc, but have no idea how to create a good routine based on my needs and limitations.

I park outdoors and the black seems to pickup dirt very quickly.

I got a membership at the local hands only carwash. They do an OK job, but there's much more room for improvement.

I'm a workaholic most of the waking day and go to school the rest. Any suggestions how I can get into a process of using the carwash as a pre-clean and possibly polishing and waxing afterwards myself... considering time as a factor?

Thanks!

Taking care of a properly cared for car is easy!

I would recommend the following.

Use detail clay to prepe the brand new paint for waxing or sealaing.

(Yes you need to use detailing clay).

Here is how to use detail clay.

To prepare the clay, break the bar into two or three smaller pieces.

Then flatten one piece into a small pancake.(keep the other pieces as a back up if the first piece becomes to contaminated)

Use the detailing clay lube that comes with the clay. Work one small 3’x3’ area keeping the paint saturated with the lube. If you feel the lube not gliding easily, spray more lubricant.

With the paint lubed, rub the clay with “slight” pressure. You will feel the clay grabbing the contaminants as it may feel like you are rubbing over “sand” Keep rubbing until the paint feels smooth as glass. Now once each section has been clayed, wipe the lube off with a micro fiber towel.

Now the paint has has all the contaminates removed,

the next stwp is either mild polishing or waxing.

If there are any spiderwebbing scratches or other minor scratches these will need to be polished out.

The first step I would suggest is a mild polish like Sonus SFX-3. This polish is safe for clear coats and will remove the white spots.

Just apply a quarter size dab to a Micro fiber applicator and polish the paint.

Do one 2’x2’ area at a time.

Oncce the entire hood and roof is cleared up, follow up with the SFX3 using the same technique.

This can be done by hand. But The Porter cable is THE BEST easiest way to polish paint.

The Klasse is what I use on all of my vehicles.

I also add the Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze over the AIO.

Then for daily clean ups I use the Sonus Acrylic Spritz quick detail spray.

Apply Klasse All In One over the entire vehicle, then go back to where you started and buff off the residue.

Apply a small dab (like a quarter size dab) on another applicator and spread it in back and forth motions working one section at a time.

Apply the Klasse high Gloss Sealant glaze so thin you will have to look very hard to see where you applied it.

The last step will be applying the Klasse High Gloss Sealant glaze.

Both of these products like to go on very thin and even.

Then once the whole vehicle has been covered wait at least one hour then wipe off the product.

You can add more layers of the Klasse if you wait 24 hours between applications.

If you have any spots that won’t come off, take a damp towel and wipe the are then follow up immediately with a dry Buffing towel

The last step would be upkeep.

I use quick detailing spray at least once every week or sooner if needed.

Sonus Detailing clay starter kit

SOnus SFX-3 Finishing Polish

SOnus Der Wunder Buffing towels

Klasse ALL In One

Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze

Sonus Acrylic Spritz Quick Detail Spray

post-10338-1119044669_thumb.jpgpost-10338-1119044690_thumb.jpgpost-10338-1119044704_thumb.jpgpost-10338-1119044717_thumb.jpg[

Butta,

I just bought a black RX 400H, so I'm in a similar situation. We traded in my wife's black 2000 ES 300 that she parked outside during the day. So, I have some experience on which to base my expectations for a black auto.

I think it will be a challenge to keep it perfect, given your constraints -- keeping the car outside and time being the biggest. In other words, all else equal, keeping the car outside would require more time in maintaining the best finish. But, time is at a premium. So, what follows keeps this in mind.

My experience has been that keeping the wax on the car current is a good preventative step -- contaminants wash off easily on a car that has fresh wax. I polished and put two coats of wax on my RX 400H two days after bringing it home. I can honestly say that it looked better than it did at the dealership. The hope is to keep the wax current and keep the contaminants from sitting on the car (i.e., washing when dirty). We weren't as vigilant with my wife's ES 300 (because of time), and it showed. A weekend of care (doing the full cleaner/polish/wax routine) per year could restore it fairly well, but not as well as if we had kept it waxed and washed properly during the year.

I use Maguiars products -- cleaner, polish/glaze and carnauba wax. I don't have experience with Klasse or synthetic waxes, but others can chime in on how they might help in your particular situation. I also use an orbital buffer to apply and buff. I used a fairly cheap one before, but just purchased the Porter Cable 7424 -- it is a huge time-saver. I managed to do the cleaner, polish, and wax on my 1999 RX 300 in about 8 hours.

My routine: I expect to polish about twice per year (maybe more, since it is so easy with the 7424). I will wax every 2-3 months, but this is because my RX 400H is garaged, night and day. If it weren't garaged, I'd probably wax more often. I will do the paint cleaner step only when needed (by feel of the car's finish). I'm not trying to say that others' advice of doing every step every time is wrong. Rather, for me, the tradeoff in time and results is right.

I think you can cut your time by letting the hand-wash place do the washing step. At the very least, it will cut the time it takes for you to wash it after (especially if you don't have to do the wheels). My problem with others washing my car is that, if they're not careful, they can put minor scratches in the finish, that will typically require the paint cleaner and polish steps to correct.

In terms of time, waxing is the quickest for me - about 2 hours, maybe less. Polishing takes a bit more time -- it takes a bit more effort to remove.

Have you considered a car cover? If you park under trees, I would count it as a must-have.

One last tip, don't let the dealership wash your car when you have it serviced/maintained - their machines defintely scratch and don't do a great job. Since you have a membership at a hand-wash place, I would just take it to them. Just tell the dealer not to wash it and ask them to put a note on your records to this effect.

The GS is a beauty. Congrats and enjoy it!

Ahhh, the joys of a black car. :P They sure are a pain in the a-ss to keep up but nothing looks finer or more elegant that a clean black car.

A word of warning. Some here use detailing as a form of foreplay or sexual release. The only foreplay I want to see in my car is in the back seat not on the rims. Its almost like they don't have women in their lives. Just kidding.

You got to admit detailing a car for 10 hours is a bit strange. If you don't get off on using Q-tips on emblems then wash it, dry it and wax it. Carefully of course.

I got a black 01 ES300 and thankfuly I have a garage.

George

Why is spending 10 hours detailing a car more strange than spending 10 hours playing golf, or painting, or writing, or gardning, or cleaning your house, or building model airplanes, or cooking? Lots of people, including me, find detailing a relaxing stress reducing activity. Just like lots of people find all those other things relaxing stress reducing activities.

And it doesnt take 10 hours if the car is well cared for. I just did my full twice yearly detail on my car and it took 6 hours inside and out. I look forward to it and enjoy it immensely too. I spend an hour to an hour and a half on each car every week washing and vacuuming etc, I spend probably an extra hour on top of that waxing each one once a month, and 4-6 hours doing a full detail twice a year. Whats the big deal?

Its just a hobby like anything else, if its not your hobby thats fine but no reason to make fun of those for whom it is.

As for women...detailing is a way of getting AWAY from the women lol

You've received excellent advice here. The most important is that 90+% of the final appearance is the prep you do before applying the protectant (wax, sealant, etc). Each of us has our own favourite line of products. And those of us who share the trials and tribulations of owning and keeping up a black car sympathize with you. As a confirmed Zaino Zealot, I'd suggest a visit to www.zainostore.com Since you park out doors, Zaino is generally conceded to provide the most durable protection via their Z-2 PRO with ZFX. (also check out the detailing forums on www.autopia.org; many of the contributors are professional detail folks and many of the tips there are priceless. They also have product reviews and ratings which can help you to match your needs.)

Final comments: each geographical area seems to have its own unique detailing needs. See what the other detailers (professional and fanatic) in San Diego recommend. And stay away from those "car wash" places. If you watch, you'll find that they use the same towels, sponges, etc on the whole car with infrequent changes. That causes swirls, scratches, and blemishes which are magnified on a black surface.

As for women...detailing is a way of getting AWAY from the women lol

This is sooooooo true!!!!

Glad Im not the only one who thinks this way!!

Mine stays away for a few hours then insists on asking me questions........

Kids, what do I want for supper, etc. It like I KNEW she couldnt stay away the entire time!

Re: women: And don't forget how they roll their eyes at our spending 6 hours in one weekend on the car. Then, guess which car they want to drive on the next errand or out to dinner? Guess who brags about how nice the car looks? And, when it is their car that gets detailed...

I took Geo's lines as a joke. However, I'm sure my neighbors truly feel this way when they see me washing/waxing every other weekend. But, SW03ES said it well. Most people don't think that sitting in front of the tele for 6 hours a week WATCHING golf is strange. At least we have something nice to show for our hobby, and probably a little extra value, as well.

I hate doing lawnwork. So, it gets "outsourced." But, there is very little that is as relaxing to me as working carefully on trying to make our cars look nice. It is even better when I can listen to a baseball game on the radio while doing it. A great stress reliever!

• 3 weeks later...

I formerly owned a black Mitsubishi Eclipse before I purchased my white RX 300. When I sold my Eclipse, the paint was still as sharp as the day I purchased it. One thing that would help is to try to keep it out of the sun. Depending on where you live, the elements can really cause a lot of paint fade. I use car covers on my cars when I need to park them outside. They're a pain in the butt, but they really help keep the cars looking good.

Like everyone else, I would also keep up on your polishing and waxing. I usually use Mother's or McGuire's wax, but my only authority is what others have told me. Additionally, you may want to use a sun screen to help keep the dash / car cooler. For giggles I put a thermometer in my car to see if it made a difference, and it was about 30 degrees cooler (120 degrees).

As for time dedicated to cleaning a car, I don't think there is an excessive threshold. My wife like to spend hours watching re-runs of Friends and Buffy ... so what's the problem with spending some time on your car? Every year I spend about two days cleaning my cars including washing, waxing, polishing, and detailing the engine. If possible I even remove the seats and carpet clean the entire vehicle. This may be excessive to some, but I enjoy it. I just put on some good music and go to it. My uncle is a doctor with several successful offices around the Dallas area, and he still changes his own oil and details his own cars. If he can do it, I certainly can find the time. :)

Congrats on your car! Lexus makes an awesome product and I'm always proud to be in mine.

D.J.

A well maintained and cared for automobile not only looks good but also worth much more when the time comes to sell it. Every week-end you’ll find people washing and cleaning their vehicles, some doing the bare minimum and some who find it therapeutic; washing away the stress of daily life (some have even called it their ‘golf’)

JonM

As far as paint fade from the sun, every year thats less and less of an issue as carmakers put more UV protection in their clearcoats. Modern clearcoats act as sunscreen for the color coat beneath, which almost iradicates the problem of paint fade.

That said, Lexus black has no clearcoat. A car cover is definately a good idea.

As far as paint fade from the sun, every year thats less and less of an issue as carmakers put more UV protection in their clearcoats. Modern clearcoats act as sunscreen for the color coat beneath, which almost iradicates the problem of paint fade.

Steve...Are you saying that no black Lexus, e.g. RX400h, has clearcoat?? I'm asking because my brother's brand new RX400h is black and he parks outdoors most of the time. Also, can you point me to a reputable (i.e., reasonably priced) source for a car cover?? Sounds like he may need one.

I'm far from an expert on car washing but if I owned a very expensive, black Lexus, I don't think I would let the hands-only car wash touch it. One wrong move and your brand-new paint is swirled or scratched. :( :cries:

In Texas, just about every silver car that I have seen has oxidized paint. Does the Lexus clearcoat solve that problem?? Should one be "nervous" about owning a silver Lexus?? Does it all depend on how the vehicle is cared for??

In Texas, just about every silver car that I have seen has oxidized paint. Does the Lexus clearcoat solve that problem?? Should one be "nervous" about owning a silver Lexus?? Does it all depend on how the vehicle is cared for??

what EXACTLY is oxidized paint? and once a paint becomes oxidized can the shine be recovered? SW03es knows about the issue that i have with my black ls and im still trying to find a reputable detail shop here in the city that will do the the job correctly so i can start to take car of my car myself after te paint is brought back to life( my hood has a light greyish white color forming at the front)

what EXACTLY is oxidized paint? and once a paint becomes oxidized can the shine be recovered? SW03es knows about the issue that i have with my black ls and im still trying to find a reputable detail shop here in the city that will do the the job correctly so i can start to take car of my car myself after te paint is brought back to life( my hood has a light greyish white color forming at the front)

Webster's dictionary defines "oxidize" as a change in the molecular structure of a compound, perhaps through the addition of oxygen.

I'm not a paint expert but what I consider "oxidized" is when the car's finish is basically gone and there is no shine left. The paint has "disintegrated." I have seen this more than once on my GM cars and I have seen it many, many, many times on a silver vehicle. In my case, the "disintegration" started small and spread to the rest of the car, sort of like a cancer. Keep in mind that I live in TX and the sun here is brutal.

To remedy the problem on my GM cars, the car had to be repainted. The shine could not be "recovered." Of course, I would never compare a GM paint job to a Lexus paint job. There's no comparison. I hope that helps.

that certainly helps i saw some pictiures on the autopia website where they show you how to use the pc 7424 and there were some before and after pictures of a car whose paint was heavily oxidized but after working on it with the pc the paint was looking realm good i dont know how to get the pictures to place them in this post but your telling me its not possible and they say it is so which is it

that certainly helps i saw some pictiures on the autopia website where they show you how to use the pc 7424 and there were some before and after pictures of a car whose paint was heavily oxidized but after working on it with the pc the paint was looking realm good i dont know how to get the pictures to place them in this post but your telling me its not possible and they say it is so which is it

sha4000...Since I'm not a paint and body person, I would definitely have to defer to the pictures you saw on autopia that indicate that the pc can revitalize paint that has "oxidized" and say it IS possible if they say it is.

In my case, the dealer repainted one of my GM cars TWICE at no cost to me because the finish went bad. So, I wasn't complaining. There was no discussion by the dealer of refinishing the vehicle using a pc or similar device.

For some reason, this knowledge makes me worried -- thinking that it will be more difficult to keep a black Lexus in good shape compared to any other color (and not just because black shows more imperfections).

What are the implications of this? Are chips more likely? Why isn't there a clearcoat on Lexus black? Is this standard for other manufacturers (e.g., MB, Jaguar, Acura, etc.)?

Are there any differences in how a black Lexus should be treated? For example, is a glaze more or less effective for a black Lexus? Is it easier to scratch (I mean micro-scratches) a black Lexus? Or, is there just no difference in how to maintain the car's finish (other than an increased imporance on a car cover or garage)?

Thanks for the info. If not for this forum, I'd be blissfully ignorant (instead of just plain ignorant ;))

sha4000...Since I'm not a paint and body person, I would definitely have to defer to the pictures you saw on autopia that indicate that the pc can revitalize paint that has "oxidized" and say it IS possible if they say it is.

In my case, the dealer repainted one of my GM cars TWICE at no cost to me because the finish went bad. So, I wasn't complaining. There was no discussion by the dealer of refinishing the vehicle using a pc or similar device.

i didnt think that you were complaining its just that i was thinking of buying a pc this black is pretty at times and it looks a mess at others and i generally dont trust people to do what they say that theyre going to do until they actually show and prove. my old 91ls was pearl white and was real easy to kep up with

I'd say 99% of all Black Lexus vehicles have no clearcoat. Lexus bright red and yellow also have no clearcoat. SOME black Lexus do have one, but thats an abnormality.

As for car covers, I'm far from an expert on them as I've never used one but someone can point you in the right direction.

I agree with you, if you're going to buy a black car and you want it to look good over the long haul you've got to learn to either wash it properly yourself or pay a professional to care for it.

I'd say 99% of all Black Lexus vehicles have no clearcoat. Lexus bright red and yellow also have no clearcoat. SOME black Lexus do have one, but thats an abnormality.

As for car covers, I'm far from an expert on them as I've never used one but someone can point you in the right direction.

I agree with you, if you're going to buy a black car and you want it to look good over the long haul you've got to learn to either wash it properly yourself or pay a professional to care for it.

or you might end up with my paint problems :censored:

• 1 month later...

As posted earlier, I have a black onyx RX 400h and was curious about conflicting reports that it doesn't have clear coat -- a member of Autopia insisted that newer (>2003) black Lexus vehicles have clear coat.

So, I filed a question on the Lexus customer support web site asking the direct question to Lexus regarding my black onyx RX 400h. Here's the response:

"The black RX 400h does have a clear coat. "

Hope this helps to clarify things, at least for the RX 400h black onyx.