Firestone May Have Really Messed Up!

Gumart1

AC is blowing warm. Had the car in for an AC performance check for $30. Just noticed on my receipt that they put in 1 pound of 134a for another $30. My system is the original R12!

My car was never converted to my knowledge (how can I check?). I'm afraid if I tell them that they made a mistake, they in turn will just say that they wrote the wrong info on my receipt to cover their butts. I hope they have not messed up the entire system!

One thing I don't understand is why they did not run the leak dye test for $15 that is part of the performance check. If they did indeed add freon it did nothing at all, air is still warm, unless it is related to my "dash door to evaporator core not opening" (see my next post).

If your compressor now goes into lockup and the green light starts flashing then they did add the wrong fluid which causes the 2 to mix and foam and the compressor locks up.

To repair it the cars needs to be fixed right away or the the fluids will eat the seals they are supposed to lube and the whoel a/c system will have to be completely replaced.

5000-6000 minimum for the amount of work involved

atoyo, you are correct about the years for r12. Sorry I didn't specify this was my 92LS, not my 98. Just spoke to the manager and he confirmed that my system had been converted to 134a at some point, however strangely enough he said that it was only a "partial conversion" and that only the low pressure side was changed and that the high pressure didn't have the adaptor fittings. He claims that he completed the conversion and added a pound of 134a, so everything should be fine now. I don't know why the conversion wasn't complete or what he did to finish it off without charging me anything, but hopefully he did it properly. It sounds like if he did make a mistake with the freon he would have admitted it now instead of having to replace my whole system due to their mistake.

The high pressure side is behind the passenger headlight. There are 2 fittings near the firewall and both are low pressure. It's easy to assume one is high and one is low. "Finishing the conversion" simply means that adding a 134a fitting on the high pressure side ($3-5). Without attaching gauges to correct outlets they would not have gotten good readings on pressure.

Does that mean you don't have a problem with air duct control? Is it all fixed?

One can convert 12 to 134 with no issues.. Most places use 134 since the profit margin and enviormental regulations..

I would think when they repaired your LEXUS they tested the temp.. Now from there to home it died or leaked...

Why would you be cautious to approach them about fixing a fix they did not fix. Cheers, Chris

Ohhh sorry I did not read your updated note... If they reclaimed the R-12 they would have told you.. My concern if it was converted in the past that means it had AC issues? Maybe a new compressor.

you can't put r-134 unless the system has already been converted. The r-134 guages will not go onto the r-12 fittings, unless the adapters have been installed. You need to go back to the shop and make sure they use the right type of refrigerant if your not sure.

should have answered this on my last post. This is the easiest way to tell if your system has been converted to r-134. On the low pressure port where you put refrigerant in (on the passenger side, back of the fire wall) if it is r-12 the the hook up point will be a screw on hook up. If it is converted, then it will be a quick connect fitting.