Oem Rear Spoiler

DB S600

When I purchased my LX470 I liked the look of the rear spoiler but did not want to part with $2500 to purchase the Night Vision / Spoiler package. I figured that I could do without it at that time. However, after owning the LX for one year I have become annoyed at how easily the rear window builds up road "dust" - as after getting a wash and doing three days of minimal highway commute driving the rear windows builds up an obvious film of dust.

Those of you who have the rear wind deflector on your LX's / LC's do you find your rear window becoming dirty easily? - or, besides for looks, is this what the deflector is actually intended for - to keep the rear window clean? And, if so, does it work?

Besides the dealer and ebay, does anyone have suggestions as to where I can find a good deal on an OEM spoiler?

ALSO - Has anyone come across pricing for the new 06 LED tailamp units and front grill assembly. I inqured at my dealership today and parts had no clue. Thanks!

When I purchased my LX470 I liked the look of the rear spoiler but did not want to part with $2500 to purchase the Night Vision / Spoiler package. I figured that I could do without it at that time. However, after owning the LX for one year I have become annoyed at how easily the rear window builds up road "dust" - as after getting a wash and doing three days of minimal highway commute driving the rear windows builds up an obvious film of dust.

Those of you who have the rear wind deflector on your LX's / LC's do you find your rear window becoming dirty easily? - or, besides for looks, is this what the deflector is actually intended for - to keep the rear window clean? And, if so, does it work?

Besides the dealer and ebay, does anyone have suggestions as to where I can find a good deal on an OEM spoiler?

ALSO - Has anyone come across pricing for the new 06 LED tailamp units and front grill assembly. I inqured at my dealership today and parts had no clue. Thanks!

Yes, it does keep the rear window clean. My wifes LX (UZJ100) doesn't have the spoiler and my Toyota UZJ100 has it. My window stays cleaner much, much longer than hers.

It might have some very minor aerodynamic benefits for economy as well (stated by boat dealer on pulling trailers).

Can't say if it keeps the window cleaner as I do get some of the rear window dirt you talk about from dust roads. And it does look cool. B)

I installed on a few years ago on an old 4runner. Before, when driving on dirt roads (about 300 mi at that time), a lot of dust would collect on the rear window, so much so that I'd have to blow it off, and still, some would fall between the rubber and window (ie, into the tailgate), causing the window to squeak a little when being lowered. I installed the type you see on pre '03 4runners and LC 100. Now, there's only a little dust on the rear window. The other benefit is (although the rear window on the LC doesn't lower like on the 4runner), if you drive with your front windows down, normally, your hair blows all over. But once you crack the rear window, the wind deflector alters the air turbulence behind the vehicle, so your hair doesn't blow around, and it's not as noisy. Also, you don't smell the rear exhaust when the rear window is open.

Now the LX's and '03+ LC's have a different kind (plastic, color-coordinated) wing like the new 4runners/RX's/highlanders that allows the air to flow more rearwards than downwards. I can't vouch if that design works as well, but it does look better. The old, black aluminum ones on the LC look weird, like it's too small/slim for the width of the rear. The disadvantage is, if you live in the rust belt, more holes in the exterior means more places that can rust over time. Some guys w/ old LC 80's have mentioned rust around the mounting holes on their roof racks and rear wing.

I believe that the rear wing changes the airflow around the back of the car (we have one on our Sequoia and 4Runner), to direct exhaust gas away from the back of the car, when the back window is opened. We used to have a 1996 4Runner with no wing, and when we had both the 96 and the 02 at the same time, you could tell that little or no exhaust fumes were coming into the rear window of the 02, compared to the 96.

• 6 months later...

Hello everbody, I'm new to the forum but not new to lexus. Over the years I have driven an ES250, LS400, and 2 LX470's.

I had an 1999 LX470 w/o spoiler and the back window stayed dirty and dusty (I live on a dirt road) We now have a 2003 with the spoiler and the window is much, much less susceptible to dust and spray. The washer is also much more functional than the '89's. I had considered adding a spoiler to the '89 a few years ago and was quoted a price of $750.00 for the spoiler plus paint and installation.

I have spent the last couple of days reviewing the forum and am quite impressed with the helpfulness of the members and your lexus knowledge.

Drawbacks are, there are 4 more holes in the rear hatch that are susceptible to leaks/rust, especially if you live in the rust belt, and it doesn't look good if you have one of those traditional safari-type roof racks. Also, since the rear window doesn't retract into the door like on the 4runners, dust getting into the rubber seal at the bottom of the window isn't an issue. I'm guessg the reason why the LC/LX does not have a retracting rear window is reliability, as rear window motor in the 4runners has a tendency to eventually fail, especially if you live in areas w/ salted roads, lots of freeze-thaw cycles.

even small spoilers can make a big difference in the air flow around a vehicle. The reason the dust is not forming is beacause of the improved aerodynamics. It will also get better mileage... not sure how much. It should also help the car stay under better control at high speeds, alghough in this case, it is probably minimal.

They don't have a moveable rear window because they can't. There are two doors that open in back, so there is no place for the window to go.