Engine Block Drain Plugs

ED.

and another thing, I will also be replacing the transmission fluid/filter. My new filter said not to put any sealant on bu tthe write up on lexusls said I should. What do you all think? And my gasket is diferent than the one I saw used. His looked rubber and mine is like paper?

Thanks

and another thing, I will also be replacing the transmission fluid/filter. My new filter said not to put any sealant on bu tthe write up on lexusls said I should. What do you all think? And my gasket is diferent than the one I saw used. His looked rubber and mine is like paper?

Thanks

Take a look ;) :

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...topic=15395&hl=

I am going to drain the fluid in the rad. on Wed. and I was wanting to know if you have to open the drains from the block or will the one from the radiator work fine?

Depends on what coolant is currently in the system. If the factory original coolant mixture (50% Toyota Long Life Antifreeze + 50% distilled water) was used by the previous owner at replacement time, then you can just drain the radiator and refill with this same mixture.

However, if an aftermarket brand of coolant has been used in the system then yes the two engine block drain plugs must be removed as different brands are not compatible with one another and also aren't compatible with the factory original coolant mixture.

Owner failure to use the factory original coolant mixture at replacement time is one of the leading causes of premature Toyota / Lexus engine failure.

Well I just fully read through the write up. Seems like no one else has ever use a paper gasket. Just the rubber one or that stuff. I am gonna try that paper one. If something happens I will get a rubber one from the dealer. I am guessing it will be fine since they dont come with a gasket anyway... ?

Thanks

Thanks for the url blake!

VGR, the color of my coolant is orange. Phew, now I wont have to drain the block. Thanks guys! I cant wait untill tomorrow!

Thanks

Hey Ed..............at last check, my coolant is pinkish/red...it is original toyota coolant. I would drain the block - and use distilled water....

It's really no big deal....just a little more time....

Thanks for the url blake!

VGR, the color of my coolant is orange. Phew, now I wont have to drain the block. Thanks guys! I cant wait untill tomorrow!

Thanks

I would drain those orange stuff out of your cooling system and get Toyota coolants.

JP Importz

Toyota antifreeze is red / pinkish. Havoline Dexcool and Prestone Dexcool are orange with a rather radically different chemistry. So you should get rid of all the orange by removing the block drain plugs. Also a good time to change the thermostat and thermostat gasket

I thought Toyota coolant was orange. Crap! Well, I'll see how much it is at the dealer tomorrow. I have to get the taran fluid. I think I'll get 3 quarts. Just to be safe. Yeah, I should replace the thermostat. Dam. I gonna be taking out the radiator anyway to vacum it. Another question. Do I really have to follow the procedure thats written on the expansion tank? If yes them I guess I will add the coolant drive it around then when it cools add the water?

Thanks

Measure the amount of old coolant drained so you'll know exactly how much new coolant is needed. If you don't measure there is a danger you will underfill the system and harm the motor. In a separate container, premix a 50/50 blend of Toyota Long Life Antifreeze and distilled water and add it to both the 17mm coolant filler nut opening above the thermostat housing and to the radiator overflow jar opening.