Rx300 Roof Rack

Dave_02RX300

I checked the FAQs and did several searches, and I checked the owner's manual, but I coudn't find any instructions on how to remove the horizontal (right to left) pair of bars. I read about noise issues, and even one post regarding the fact that the wide edge of the bar faces forward (kinda obvious I would think).

It should increase my mileage (yeah, right) by increasing aerodynamics and decreasing vehicle weight.

They will take up room in the garage rafters.

I suppose this will invoke a poll regarding whethere the car looks better with or without them.

Is it an easy job to remove the bars? I appears you just remove the thumb-screws and they come off? Or do I need to mess with the track (as in remove the track end-pieces to get the bars to slide off)?

Thanks

-Dave

I checked the FAQs and did several searches, and I checked the owner's manual, but I coudn't find any instructions on how to remove the horizontal (right to left) pair of bars.  I read about noise issues, and even one post regarding the fact that the wide edge of the bar faces forward (kinda obvious I would think).

It should increase my mileage (yeah, right) by increasing aerodynamics and decreasing vehicle weight.

They will take up room in the garage rafters.

I suppose this will invoke a poll regarding whethere the car looks better with or without them.

Is it an easy job to remove the bars?  I appears you just remove the thumb-screws and they come off?  Or do I need to mess with the track (as in remove the track end-pieces to get the bars to slide off)?

Thanks

-Dave

Check out the threads about "wind noise", I recall someone posted detail instructions there.

I used both hands (actually thumbs and index fingers) to grab a knob firmly and just turn counter clock wise.

For hwy driving, better aerodynamic definitely helps to increase mpg and reduce wind noise.

If anyone does not believe aero-dynamic plays a part, just take off RX's mud guards. Mine has paint cuts because head wind turned plastic edges of mud guards as sharp edges. I will put 3M clear spa for better paint protection if I decide to install them back for winter.

They are safely boxed and packed away in the rafters of my garage. I thought I would have to remove the track end pieces, but the plates under the rack just slide out the back. I marked where they go on the track (hidden from view) because they were in the perfect no-wind-noise positions.

-D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 15 years later...

Aw crap!  I need to put the cross bars back on (now 16 years later!)  I need to figure out which direction they go, and how to do it - next time I'll take photos and write this stuff down...  doh!