Heating Works Only On Max-heat

I have a 1992 SC 400.

Had it for a year with about 105k miles on it.

Since last week, the heating does not work. Ran a diagnostics, and came up with code 21.

Funny thing is that the heating works only when I turn the knob to MAX_HEAT. Even one unit below that will blow cold air.

Any suggestions on what to do would be helpful.

Thanks

Mohit

I have a 1992 SC 400.

Had it for a year with about 105k miles on it.

Since last week, the heating does not work. Ran a diagnostics, and came up with code 21.

Funny thing is that the heating works only when I turn the knob to MAX_HEAT. Even one unit below that will blow cold air.

Any suggestions on what to do would be helpful.

Thanks

Mohit

Code 21 is the solar sensor and most likely means it was dark when you ran the test. My car did not blow heat also. I found that by adding a little coolant to the system (even though it appeared full) made my problem go away. It's real easy to try it.

I've got the same car - same year .. and have had that same problem .. sorry to say I don't have a solution for you. Mine seems to be intermittent and actually hasn't had that problem for a while ... I checked the coolant level to make sure that wasn't related. Good luck and I'll stay tuned to the responses you get ...

I've got the same car - same year .. and have had that same problem .. sorry to say I don't have a solution for you.  Mine seems to be intermittent and actually hasn't had that problem for a while ... I checked the coolant level to make sure that wasn't related.  Good luck and I'll stay tuned to the responses you get ...

Ok, thanks for the tips. adding coolant seems to do the trick. I am not sure if the air is as hot as it should be, but it is definitely warm.

Thanks

Mohit