Whining Noise In Rx330 A/c

gucha

I have a Lexus RX330, 2004 model which i bought in july 2003. Ever since i bought the vehicle on a hot day when i turn on the a/c after parking the car in the sun, i start getting a whining noise in the a/c. I have taken the car 4 times so far to Lexus Santamonica (which is where i purchased my car to start with) and the last time i even complained to the LEXUS head office to get this problem fixed. They said they have identified a problem in the a/c high pressure hose bracket and said that they are going to remove and replace it and it will be fine. But again last week when i took the car out i started hearing this whining sound. Has anyone had a similar problem like this in their RX330. Help me out here folks. :(

I've heard that same sound in my 2004 RX330. However, I tried to make sure I can reproduce it all the time before I take it in. I haven't had much luck reproducing the same whining noise all the time.

Keep me posted on your progress with the dealership.

I recently purchased a 2005 RX330 and upon using the a/c hear a whining or groaning sound when the compressor kicks in. I've only had the vehicle two weeks. I plan to take it in for service. I don't believe a vehicle in this price range should sound like a go-cart. I've owned cheaper cars with a/c and never heard such a sound. It's not the sound of a quality vehicle. I'll let you know my results.

Having worked on this a/c whining issue with Lexus Santamonica, the technician who came to my work place to ride the car with me to see if we can recreate this scenario mentioned about a new fix that Lexus found for a particular problem in the a/c high compressor valve (detailed below)

"At about 1200-1400 rpm when accelerating the car from a signal/stop, this whining sound starts in the a/c and once we cross the 2000 rpm then the sound stops. Again when we brake and decelerate and when the RPM is around 1200- 1400 the sound starts and stops once we go down below 1000 RPM. "

After i took this cue from this technician i tried to drive my car in the 1200-1400 rpm which is what it will be in when ur driving on surface roads at 35-45 miles/hr speed, i heard this whining sound and then it disappeared above 2000 rpm and the reverse happened too. So now i hv called up the service center and hv talked to the technician and we have setup an appointment for next tuesday for this problem to be fixed. will update all of you guys after that.

:unsure::rolleyes::excl:

Hello

This is my first post but I've been lurking around for a couple of years.

Just had the A/C noise taken care of by my dealer.

Reading from the invoice "Replaced A/C line bracket per TSB"

Not sure what TSB they're referring to.

Parts replaced:

88892-0E010- Protector,Cooler.

90044-64009- Clamp.

88688-0E011- Bracket Cooler.

88569-0E030- Clamp,Piping.

90080-17186- Nut,Flange.

AC whine is completely gone and car is quite again. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I think this is exactly what the dealer did to my car last week. So far nothing. But i will take a note of the part numbers for reference.

Hello

This is my first post but I've been lurking around for a couple of years.

Just had the A/C noise taken care of by my dealer.

Reading from the invoice "Replaced A/C line bracket per TSB"

Not sure what TSB they're referring to.

Parts replaced:

88892-0E010- Protector,Cooler.

90044-64009- Clamp.

88688-0E011- Bracket Cooler.

88569-0E030- Clamp,Piping.

90080-17186- Nut,Flange.

AC whine is completely gone and car is quite again. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a Lexus RX330, 2004 model which i bought in july 2003. Ever since i bought the vehicle on a hot day when i turn on the a/c after parking the car in the sun, i start getting a whining noise in the a/c. I have taken the car 4 times so far to Lexus Santamonica (which is where i purchased my car to start with) and the last time i even complained to the LEXUS head office to get this problem fixed. They said they have identified a problem in the a/c high pressure hose bracket and said that they are going to remove and replace it and it will be fine. But again last week when i took the car out i started hearing this whining sound. Has anyone had a similar problem like this in their RX330. Help me out here folks. :(

Mark,...go to RX300 / RX 330 forums. See note by Jasper regarding AC noise.

The dealer replaced the compressor. Part # 883100E010. All quiet now.

Jasper

• 3 weeks later...

:cheers:

After reading about the whinning problem on the RX330, I took my 2004 330 into the Lexus dealer in Raleigh, NC for a fix. I told them about the TSB referenced in other reports and they had the fix installed in short order. Reading about the problem in the forum was a great help.

TG in MD

:cheers:

• 2 years later...

Our 04 Rx330 has been growling only when cold (goes away after about 5 minutes) for about 75,000 miles now. Sooner or later the compressor will give out. I have been waiting for it to go and now I'm like Kramer waiting to see how far I can get before it craps out.

• 2 weeks later...

I took our 2005 RX330 in for the groan/howl and JM Lexus of Margate quickly diagnosed it (even though it was intermittent) and performed the TSB under warranty. No more groan/howl for us.

• 3 weeks later...
I took our 2005 RX330 in for the groan/howl and JM Lexus of Margate quickly diagnosed it (even though it was intermittent) and performed the TSB under warranty. No more groan/howl for us.

Would you guys characterize the noise as a screech?

My wife's 01 RX300 makes a very intermittent screech (when she tries to vocally copy the noise its more of a screech or loud squeal) it does it intermittenly when she starts it up after work out in the parking lot. It does it so rarely that I've never heard it.

Does it seem like she has the same problem?

• 3 weeks later...

My wife's 01 RX300 makes a very intermittent screech (when she tries to vocally copy the noise its more of a screech or loud squeal) it does it intermittenly when she starts it up after work out in the parking lot. It does it so rarely that I've never heard it.

A high-pitched squeal, intermittent or sustained, is normally a slipping belt. If she only hears it occasionally and only at start-up, then I would just about guarantee it is a slipping belt. It could be that the belt is loose, or one of the components driven by the belt may be hard to turn over initially, thus causing the noise. Dampness seems to bring on the squealing also.

The a/c noise everyone is hearing is more of a low moan, not very loud, and happens at low engine revs.

I have a 2005 doing the same thing

I bought a 2004 330 early last year and brought it with me overseas. The one-and-only dealer here doesn't want to discuss problems....they don't exist. Or, if I'm unhappy with the 330, he'll be happy to sell me a 350. Uh....no thanks.

My car had 42,000mi on it when I bought it and has only 48,500 now, but the noise has been present all along. We need the a/c almost year round...especially now that the daily temps are in the mid-120s to low 130s every day. The a/c system doesn't seem to handle heat like that very well at all. It takes about 10-12 miles on the freeway before it finally gets the temperatures down.

No, that doesn't sound like the same problem ..... in fact, per the TSB, it was for 2004-2006 RX's.

I would think a screetching noise is a belt.

• 1 month later...

Screech sounds much more like loose belt, especially at start up before tightening.

I've posted a couple of times before about ALLDATADIY, an online service giving access to TSBs, parts and service prices, diagrams, general info, and troubleshooting for specific vehicles. I've used it for a few years now for 240 Volvos and found it to be very worthwhile, even though I don't do much of the work myself. I added the RX330, but have not used it much for it so can't say how good it is. If nothing else, I can sound like I have a clue when talking to a service manager. I have no connection with it at all.