Hesitation (jolt)

Rx330driver

Ok...so all this talk about "hesitation" has gotten me interested. I currently own a 2003 Rx330 and I just want to make sure this hesitation applies to me before I go to the dealership. Im experiencing a kind of "jolt" during the beginning of acceleration, between 0-5 mph and occasionally, but very slim, during slow speeds. The car cannot respond to the rate of acceleration that I need, and it tries to make up for it causing a jolt forward. This usually happens during repeated stop sign action, as during a "rolling stop" you try to accel, but instead get the hesitation. Please tell me if this applies to the transmission hesitation.

On a totally different thing, some people say they dont experience the window wind rattle, but I still do!!! :blink:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean a 2004 Rx330? Or a 2003 Rx300?

As for the rx330, yes there is this "jolt" inlow speed accleration. I have it on my rx330, and i think everyone else does too. It's just the way the rx330's seem to be.

Do you mean a 2004 Rx330?  Or a 2003 Rx300?

As for the rx330, yes there is this "jolt" inlow speed accleration. I have it on my rx330, and i think everyone else does too. It's just the way the rx330's seem to be.

I don't experience a "jolt" per se; however, it is slow to shift between 1st and 2nd gear.

Ok...so all this talk about "hesitation" has gotten me interested. I currently own a 2003 Rx330 and I just want to make sure this hesitation applies to me before I go to the dealership. Im experiencing a kind of "jolt" during the beginning of acceleration, between 0-5 mph and occasionally, but very slim, during slow speeds. The car cannot respond to the rate of acceleration that I need, and it tries to make up for it causing a jolt forward. This usually happens during repeated stop sign action, as during a "rolling stop" you try to accel, but instead get the hesitation. Please tell me if this applies to the transmission hesitation.

On a totally different thing, some people say they dont experience the window wind rattle, but I still do!!!  :blink:

Yeah i have the 2004 rx330, i got it when it first came out...i also want to know if theres anyways to fix it because im thinking of telling the dealership on my 30K check-up sorry for the mix-up

my guess would say that your car is just shifting gears

ok...how to explain this...it doesnt happen during acceleration...but right when u push the pedal at 0mph. Maybe im pushing the pedal too hard :blink:, and the car cannot respond and so it tries to make up for the loss, causing a jolt about 2 seconds after the pedal is pushed.

I experience this on my 2005 RX330 that I purchased in December. I was planning to discuss it at my 5,000 mile service which is coming up.

This is not normal from my perspective, although I dont believe I have driven a by wire system before.

• 4 weeks later...

This drives me absolutely nuts too. No one knows what the problem is? This problem alone makes me much prefer my 5 sp 9 year old Civic econobox.

This is a problem, design or not.

Example: you are coming to make a right hand turn and you have the green. You slow enough to take the turn (it's clear) and you move from brake to gas to accelerate out of the turn. BUT unless you baby the accelerator with a feather touch (and slow acceleration), you get the jolt as the transmission engages.

I noticed that the transmission seems to be one gear too high and the jolt is the downshifting. I can't figure out how to tell the car that I want to stay in the lower gear without resorting to shifting to 2L.

"Example: you are coming to make a right hand turn and you have the green. You slow enough to take the turn (it's clear) and you move from brake to gas to accelerate out of the turn. BUT unless you baby the accelerator with a feather touch (and slow acceleration), you get the jolt as the transmission engages."

Wait till ya try that doing a left hand turn . . .

firm slowing to "time" the hole in traffic to make the left turn . . .

Step into it . . .

nada

vehicle 'coasts' out into on comming traffic

vehicle didn't do squat until 'foot off - slowly back on' accelerator...

Scared the living sh... out a me !

Never had any of the other 3 Lexus rigs do that !

We also have it 'feel' like it'sa cycling to neutral (or slow between gears) when creeping around parking lots, etc...

It's bogus !

This drives me absolutely nuts too. No one knows what the problem is? This problem alone makes me much prefer my 5 sp 9 year old Civic econobox.

This is a problem, design or not.

Example: you are coming to make a right hand turn and you have the green. You slow enough to take the turn (it's clear) and you move from brake to gas to accelerate out of the turn. BUT unless you baby the accelerator with a feather touch (and slow acceleration), you get the jolt as the transmission engages.

I noticed that the transmission seems to be one gear too high and the jolt is the downshifting. I can't figure out how to tell the car that I want to stay in the lower gear without resorting to shifting to 2L.

Dude, finally, someone who knows what im talking about. It happens everytime i go down and hit and turn into a flat road...everytime, 100 percent....and i live in San Francisco...so hilly. Anyways, sometimes that happens during stop and go traffic also. :unsure:

I totally agree with chimchim. His example is the same experience with me. I have to train myself to do feather touch on the accelerator. It is really not a pleasure drive because of this rough transmission shifting.

This didn't happen to my previous Lexus. Is this because of the 5 speed transmission?

• 4 weeks later...

:cheers:

They finally fixed this problem on my 2004 RX330 with new software update

Here is what's on the work order at the dealership service dept:

Condition : Customer advises from time to time transmission hesitates & jerks.

Cause : Old CAL. ID 34818200, 54806100

Correction : updated and reset ECU. New CAL. ID 34874000, 54828000

Now the problem is gone.

:cheers:

They finally fixed this problem on my 2004 RX330 with new software update

Here is what's on the work order at the dealership service dept:

Condition : Customer advises from time to time transmission hesitates & jerks.

Cause : Old CAL. ID 34818200, 54806100

Correction : updated and reset ECU. New CAL. ID 34874000, 54828000

Now the problem is gone.

hmm, so i just go to them and say hesitation/jolt...and they should fix it? did they charge you money? thanks in advance :lol:

I had the same issue in my 330. I told them what I read here and they fixed it. Here is what my invoice reads:

A CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A HESITATION WHEN ACCEL

CAUSE: 29/99 HESITATION WHEN ACCEL TSIB TC005-03 BULLETIN APPLIED

TC3001 RECALIBRATION ECM ENGINE & TRANSMISSION

Much better. Thanks everyone.

I've got my ECM reprogramed as well 2004 RX330. Now the hesitation issue is goone.

I had the same issue in my 330.  I told them what I read here and they fixed it.  Here is what my invoice reads:

A CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A HESITATION WHEN ACCEL

CAUSE: 29/99 HESITATION WHEN ACCEL TSIB TC005-03 BULLETIN APPLIED

TC3001 RECALIBRATION ECM ENGINE & TRANSMISSION

Much better.  Thanks everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Had this done on Friday and it definitely helps a great deal. MUCH better, but still not great. I haven't had many hard shifts, but it still doesn't feel as smooth as you'd think it should. That being said ... from what I've experienced SO FAR, I would recommend the tranny recalibration.

Husker

• 5 months later...

I finally got the reflash done (while taking the 04 rx330 in for the brake booster recall). I was warned that once I flash, there's no going back.

After the reflash, the hesitation is significantly reduced. If you step on it for 50% or more throttle out the turn, you'll still feel a jolt as it downshifts into a lower gear. However, in general it seems to engage quicker AND smoother.

I was never able to get any information on what the negative trade offs to this reflash would be

I would think that with the smoother shifting, it's better on the transmission. Although, I don't know if more clutch slip is involved.

I can't believe I missed this thread before. I'm taking mine in this weekend.

The TSIB TC005-03 states:

To improve the transmission shift feeling during specific operating modes, the Engine

Control Module (ECM) (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) calibration has been

revised. These improvements include:

-Reduced downshift lag when accelerating at speeds from 10 to 20 mph.

-Less gear hunting when driving on/off accelerator pedal at 20 to 30 mph (for example: during heavy rush–hour traffic).

-Improved response rate during heavy acceleration from a stop.

Applicable Warranty*:

This repair is covered under the Lexus Federal Emissions Warranty. This warranty is

in effect for 96 months or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s

in-service date.

* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer’s specific complaint.

That describes exactly what I feel.

COZ, where did you get that from, because i need to tell me dealer as well. I am also experiencing all these things. But first, can someone tell me the "bad" things that can occur because as chim chim stated, it cannot be reversed...what if i dont like it? lol

See attached TSIB below. I don't see how you can't like it. It has to be better than the way it is now. But, worse case they would have to give you a new ECU with the original setting on it.

For $10 and a day with nothing to do you can get all the TSIB info and the complete manuals at http://www.techinfo.lexus.com/