Kaboom! Time For 100k Suspension Work On 98ls

Gumart1

I'm about to hit 100k and my front end does not handle like it should over bumps. I'm not mechanically saavy, so I'll need to take it to a mechanic for a better look. I'm thinking a shop that specializes in suspension work is preferable to a general mechanic. My general feeling about bringing it to my dealer is that on top of the fee to assess the problem, they usually end up taking the safe road and telling me to replace more than I really need. Also regarding suspension, most shops will inspect for free. I know that typically on my generation LS the front end usually needs work around now. I've read posts that seem to feel that the newer LS suspensions wear out faster than the first gen. I don't know if there is truth to this. Aren't the newer LS's lighter?

My main symptom is a general roughness over bumps, more feeling in the steering wheel over the rough roads, and some loud noises over abrupt bumps in the road that don't lie straight across. In other words, if one wheel hits the road bump a second before the other, the noise is especially loud and the car feels like it loses control for a second (control arm or ball joint?). I don't have any low speed clunks.

Some people recommend replacing just about everything and driving another 100k. What area should I hit first or should I do it all?

Also, are all suspension components related to each other? In other words, if something is on the verge of needing replacement will it compromise or damage the other components?

I just replaced front strut rods, ball joints (lower) and rear carrier bushings. It made a huge diffrence in the way it drives, sounds and handles. Total cost of parts and installation $ 1100.00 all new Lexus parts!!! Don't use anything else they are the best for your LS. At 100K it's well worth the money, :cheers: good luck

I have a '96 with 123k. I have just replaced the front strut rods and stabilizer bar bushings; as RCRFAN3 said, it made a big difference in the way the care handles and annoying noises are now gone.

I have a '97 LS with 87k and I replaced the struts (shocks) and springs. I used Lexus springs but made the BIG mistake of using KYB shocks! It made it much stiffer than I wanted, but resolved the bottoming out problem that I had. So stick with Lexus parts whatever you do.

I have a '97 LS with 87k and I replaced the struts (shocks) and springs. I used Lexus springs but made the BIG mistake of using KYB shocks! It made it much stiffer than I wanted, but resolved the bottoming out problem that I had. So stick with Lexus parts whatever you do.

I changed the outer tie rods, lower ball joints, and stabilizer links. No more steering vibration, even after lowering the car. Got a great deal from Darrel at swell, so I changed them all. Labor was about $230 but that included installation of my L-sportline shocks and springs.

NOTE: my dealer wanted to charge me $167 for the lower ball joint (part only), and I got them for around $68 from swell, so avoid your dealer at all costs.

i have a 96 ls with 111k miles and i havnt changed anything exept wheels, oil, and umm thats about it :D and it still has a soft ride no shaking or anything i was doing around 100 on local road with alot of bumps and i flew right over them :lol:

My guess is its at least the ball joints, while they're in there might as well have them do the struts too if you can afford it. I think my dad had the ball joints done at 100k also. 100k is a long life for struts...

KYB's - :angry: - the previous owner of my 90' LS400 had installed the KYB GR-2's on the rear and the ride from the rear suspension was extremely stiff and harsh. I could feel every bump on the roads. I changed them out with the OEM Toyota struts (also made by KYB, but much softer) and the ride was superb.