1998 Es-300 Won't Start (battery, Starter?)

My 1998 has 115,000 miles on it and the original battery which cranked perfectly strong and well the last time I used it. Today, however, when I tried to start it all I got was clicking noises and ALL of the warning light lit up as I was attempting to start.

The headlights all turned on, but I couldn't judge form their intensity whether they were at full power or much diminshed.

Anyone have a similar experience? Thanks!!!!!!!!

My 1998 has 115,000 miles on it and the original battery which cranked perfectly strong and well the last time I used it.  Today, however, when I tried to start it all I got was clicking noises and ALL of the warning light lit up as I was attempting to start.

Anyone have a similar experience?  Thanks!!!!!!!!

OEM battery in a 1998? Wow, that last longer then mine. I thought mine was doing great with it started to die in 2004.

If you hear a clicking that is good, means your battery is dead. Could be bad plates, bad cells, etc or bad alt. I would buy a new battery (since you need one after 7 years) and call it a day. I baught an Optima....Lexus starts like on crack! :)

To test charge it up and see if the car starts or put another battery in (from another car) and see what happens. I would guess (99%) sure, it is a bad battery. I would do that since you again need one and it is cheaper then buying an alt from the start.

The clicking is the solenoid clicking and the starter does not have the power to turn engine/flywheel over.

My 1998 has 115,000 miles on it and the original battery which cranked perfectly strong and well the last time I used it.  Today, however, when I tried to start it all I got was clicking noises and ALL of the warning light lit up as I was attempting to start.

Anyone have a similar experience?  Thanks!!!!!!!!

OEM battery in a 1998? Wow, that last longer then mine. I thought mine was doing great with it started to die in 2004.

If you hear a clicking that is good, means your battery is dead. Could be bad plates, bad cells, etc or bad alt. I would buy a new battery (since you need one after 7 years) and call it a day. I baught an Optima....Lexus starts like on crack! :)

To test charge it up and see if the car starts or put another battery in (from another car) and see what happens. I would guess (99%) sure, it is a bad battery. I would do that since you again need one and it is cheaper then buying an alt from the start.

The clicking is the solenoid clicking and the starter does not have the power to turn engine/flywheel over.

Thanks Mike! I think using only synthetic oil helped extend the battery life.

In the past I usually replaced batteries at 3-4 years whether they needed it or not. It just I've heard more recent stories about new ones crapping out and with mine turing over so strongly I thought there was still plenty of life left in it so I keep it for these many years (and it made it though the last NJ winter parked outside!).

Thanks again - Stan

How long would you suggest that you keep a battery in the car, before getting a new one? My 91 es still has the original battery :blink: (has all the Lexus stickers still on it), and i don't think Lexus offers replacements with their logo on them. Or i could be worng. But that would mean that my battery was somehow recharged if it is infact the original. And when it comes time to replace, what battery do you suggest?

How long would you suggest that you keep a battery in the car, before getting a new one?  My 91 es still has the original battery  :blink: (has all the Lexus stickers still on it), and i don't think Lexus offers replacements with their logo on them.  Or i could be worng.  But that would mean that my battery was somehow recharged if it is infact the original.  And when it comes time to replace, what battery do you suggest?

You could have had new acid in the battery when maybe they serviced it?

I like the Optima (Red top) since it was $129 shipping to my house, more CCA and looks cool....

Sunbeam- I had a similiar experience with my '98 about 10 months ago. It seemed it was starting great and then one day while getting an oil change it would just make those loud clicking noises. I too still had the OEM battery. Once I replaced it I was amazed at the difference. It started much quicker, I guess I had just gotten used to it. I bought the $80 one from autozone, but now if I had it all to do over again I would of bought OEM. No particular reason, this one's been great so far, but for a battery to last that long it makes me think twice about putting something else in it. Good Luck