Not An Audio Thread

Okay. Have been driving my 95 sc400 for 6 months in total silence. Don't know if the HU or the amp is fried. Was hoping to do some minor audio stuff:

I'd like to drop in a pioneer HU: DEH-P3700M

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/prod...9245002,00.html

to take a look.

My questions for you lexmasters:

1. How do you put a 1 din into a custom sc400 2din dash?

2. Will this hu be able to control the radio antenna?

3. If my amp is blown, can I use this HU to power my stock speakers?

4. What about the sub?

Okay here are the parameters of my situation:

Am in grad school, just had a baby 4 weeks ago. Have very little cash! But have been loosing it a bit, and a few minutes of music a day could really help. I know I'm not approaching anything resembling audiophile domain. I'm just looking for a sound system in my lex to play burnt mp3 discs... at that level of quality (though some sub would be nice).

I've been searching and searching here and havn't really found the right info. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Okay. Have been driving my 95 sc400 for 6 months in total silence. Don't know if the HU or the amp is fried. Was hoping to do some minor audio stuff:

I'd like to drop in a pioneer HU: DEH-P3700M 

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/prod...9245002,00.html

to take a look.

My questions for you lexmasters:

1. How do you put a 1 din into a custom sc400 2din dash?

2. Will this hu be able to control the radio antenna?

3. If my amp is blown, can I use this HU to power my stock speakers?

4. What about the sub?

Okay here are the parameters of my situation:

Am in grad school, just had a baby 4 weeks ago. Have very little cash! But have been loosing it a bit, and a few minutes of music a day could really help. I know I'm not approaching anything resembling audiophile domain. I'm just looking for a sound system in my lex to play burnt mp3 discs... at that level of quality (though some sub would be nice).

I've been searching and searching here and havn't really found the right info. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Does the Hu power up ? Check the amp and see if it has signs of being wet. I think the amp is blown.

The HU doesn't power up, the amp was never wet.

My question is can I put that Pioneer in the car, and what is necessary to do that?

Fuses ? Check all the connectors?

My question is can I put that Pioneer in the car, and what is necessary to do that?

If you really wanted a new radio what I'd do is wait for free installation at a place like BestBuy (if you want it nicley done, go to Tweeter - $45 for install).

But they will have to rewire your stock speakers coming from your new headunit because it can't go through the amp.

I'm not sure how to fix the stock one I just know about the aftermarket ones because I just had one put in.

BTW, I know my BestBuy has last years models SIGNIFICANTLY discounted. The $249 model was $139 at checkout, real nice

This was it: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/prod...0622995,00.html

If you really wanted a new radio what I'd do is wait for free installation at a place like BestBuy (if you want it nicley done, go to Tweeter - $45 for install).

But they will have to rewire your stock speakers coming from your new headunit because it can't go through the amp.

I'm not sure how to fix the stock one I just know about the aftermarket ones because I just had one put in.

BTW, I know my BestBuy has last years models SIGNIFICANTLY discounted. The $249 model was $139 at checkout, real nice

This was it: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/prod...0622995,00.html

BTW, if your headunit does not power up, there is a problem with the headunit not the amp. If the headunit powers up and appears to work, but there is still no sound then there is a problem with the amp then.

So, should I run this new pioneer HU into my old amp, or let the 50 watt mofset (don't have any clue what that is) power my stock speakers.

BTW - I'm going to leave the sub for later, any opinions about how passable the sound will be without the sub?

Hey Tmaxx - when did you get that deal at best buy?

Just picked up the HU from BestBuy, but can return it. The price went up, but now they've got free installation... works out better for me I guess.

Thx all

So, should I run this new pioneer HU into my old amp, or let the 50 watt mofset (don't have any clue what that is) power my stock speakers.

BTW - I'm going to leave the sub for later, any opinions about how passable the sound will be without the sub?

I would not try to connect the head unit to the amp directly. The head unit uses bridged outputs and the amp expects inputs with a common ground. An installation shop can wire it up that way, if you want, but it'll likely be noisier and may have reliability issues unless they put in some additional parts. Personally, I would use the head unit to drive the speakers directly.

This page shows the amp output pins - your head unit could be wired to the amp harness to simplify matters some.

http://www.intellexual.net/faq/lexusstereo.swf

You will have very little bass without the sub. The midrange speakers are 4" cones and simply can't make much bass below 100 Hz.

BTW, a MOSFET is a Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor. It's like a regular transistor but safer for high temperature applications, so head units and amps use them a lot.

sluggo

Are the rear speakers 4's. I was hoping they were 6's :censored:

Okay, so HU wired directly up to stock speakers without a sub - will that sound like a boom box, or like a transistor radio?

So I can't use my old amp just to power the sub...

Any suggestions on the best, CHEAPEST! sub amp, to drive the stock subwoofer?

Thanks again.

Are the rear speakers 4's. I was hoping they were 6's :censored:

Okay, so HU wired directly up to stock speakers without a sub - will that sound like a boom box, or like a transistor radio?

So I can't use my old amp just to power the sub...

Any suggestions on the best, CHEAPEST! sub amp, to drive the stock subwoofer?

Thanks again.

Aye, very certain that the rears (and the door speakers, for that matter) are 4" units, as I replaced mine a few months back. The rear deck cutouts are large enough to accomodate up to 5.25" drivers easily and maybe 6.25" units - depends on the frame of the 6" and you may have to drill some new screw holes.

It'll probably sound like the very best boom box you've ever heard. Good high end and midrange, with as much bass as it's possible to get from a 4" cone.

The subwoofer already has it's own amp - it doesn't use the amp module that's under the CD changer. The sub amp is mounted on the rear deck near the sub. If your head unit has a seperate sub out or a full-range line out, you would connect that to the sub amp's input. If it only has powered outputs, take it to an installer shop and they can hook you up.

sluggo

So, I'm taking it to best buy for installation. God I hope they don't F*ck up my car.

Yeah, the pioneer I'm getting has 2 sets of pre amp outputs - so I should have them run one of those to the sub amp!

That is very good news. Does the sub amp have a low pass filter in it or something?

• 1 month later...