Alarm Remote Problem?

flash213

I'm having problems with unlocking passenger doors.On the factory alarm remote you are essentially to "double click" the unlock button for the passenger doors to unlock. My car/remote seems very tempermental as to when it works. Sometimes I'll have to double click several times for it to fianlly unlock the other doors. Also standing at certain angles to the car it doesnt seems to work at all. Do I have faulty remote? Is this a common problem? Thanks for any input.

Mine does it too sometimes, got a 95 as well. I think it's just the nature of the beast. Sometimes it works perfectly, sometimes I have to slow down and do it again.

uhhh the cars are about 10 years old now i bet the battery in the remote is almost dead after all something is powering the remote and its not going to last forever

Does your remote have an LED on it? My '99 remote has an LED so I know if the keys are working. The unlock key (button) on my factory master remote is very temperamental to the point that I have to push it quite hard to get the LED to illuminate. If the LED isn't illuminating then the remote isn't transmitting. For this reason I bought another couple of used keys from eBay. I then cut off the metal key where it meets the plastic body, added the remotes to my vehicles "memory" and then use them with the valet keys. It's crude but it works. The keypads on the "new" remotes work very well compared to my original master key.

:)

There is no led on my remote.I pretty sure that the remotes switched over to joining the keys in the later generations.I would love to able to switch over to the remote like yours but I dont think it is possible. Thanks for the input though. I think nc211 has it right that it is hit or miss.

it couldnt be hit or miss because i have a 96 and we have the same remotes and i can be inside the house and it still works sometimes and it always works outside when im near the car

I don't think it's a distance thing with flash as much as it is a hassle to unlock all the doors. Mine will work at GREAT distances to unlock the driver's side, or lock the car. But getting it to unlock all the doors requires hitting the "unlock" button twice, and it sometimes takes the computer in the car a second to read that command. Sometimes it works perfectly, sometimes it takes a couple of tries. My battery is new as well, replaced by lexus dealer when I bought the car last year. It's just a funky glitch, I think maybe related to interference from outside sources. I notice it happens more when I'm in the grocery store parking lot by my house. Maybe due to the automatic doors on the store, like how they will set off a radar detector. Like mentioned before, they're 10 years old, and a lot of new radio waves are out there now a days compared to back then. It's not battery related.

One old-school trick to increase distance is put the thing against your chin, it will increase the distance. Uses your head as a transmitter I guess. It's always worked for me, and I've had several of these things over the years.