Shock Absorber

Thi

Recently, my 97 LX 450 makes some noise during turning or acceleration (sometimes); from what I can tell, it sounds like underneath the passenger side & center console. I have been looking for anything loose underneath the truck, but could not find anything yet. I'm thinking about replacing the rear shock absorber. Does anyone know if stock Landcruiser shock absorber will fit the Lexus 450? Any other suggestion related to the noise or shock absorber are welcome. Thanks.

Thi

Could you describe the noise? Is it a rattle? A clunk? A banging sound?

A description would help. It could be the heatshield from the catalytic converter if it's a rattle.

Yes, Toyota Land Cruiser shocks for a 1996 or 1997 Land Cruiser will fit the LX 450, no problems at all.

Determining whether the shock is loose at the mounts is easy enough check. Just grab it around the top or bottom and give it a good jerk. If it moves, it's loose. Repeat top and bottom, each corner.

I had a mysterious clunk about a year ago. Thought it was something in the driveline. Someone suggested a loose shock. Sure enough, crabbed the top and gave it a jerk and it moved. Tightened it up... no more clunk.

Thanks guys for the fast replies. It's more of a clunk sounds. More accurately, it's a series of clunking sound in a row then stop, not real cloud, but enough to be ennoying <_<

I checked around the muffler, pipe, various heat shields, and did not see anything unusual. I'll check the shock absorbers and see if any of them loose.

One more note, the transfer case has a bracket that has a big chunk of square rubber piece attached to it (under the passenger side near the catalytic converter). There's a bolt that goes from the bottom, then through the piece of rubber, and bracket. There's a big gap between the bolt and the piece. It looks kind of unsual, does your truck have the same set up? If needed, I can take a picture sometimes and post a link here.

Thi

Thanks guys for the fast replies.  It's more of a clunk sounds.  More accurately, it's a series of clunking sound in a row then stop, not real cloud, but enough to be ennoying    <_<

Hmm... is it a recipricating clunk? You might take a look at how close your exhaust pipe is to your driveshaft. If the pipe has been bent or is too close to the driveshaft, if can press against it under flex and acceleration. It this is the case, you will see marks on the exhaust pipe where it is hitting.

Rookie.

Brake calipers have been known to come loose and cause a clunk and/or vibration when stopping. It should be easy to determine if they're the problem - remove each wheel and check each brake caliper -- if it's loose, tighten back up. You could check or retorque the caliper bolts.

The plate you're referring to is the OEM transfer case skid plate. I removed mine and replaced it with one that's MUCH stronger. I did this because of the somewhat hard core off-road travel my truck sees. For most people, there's no need to ever change/replace this skid plate. Based on your description of the skid plate, I would say that it's in its normal position.

Thanks guys.  I'll look some more and will report back with any new finding.

Thi

I said drive shaft,... but more specifically the pertruding portions at the u-joints and the slid yoke area. Based on you're latest description, that's were I'm putting my money.

Rookie

Rookie,

Do you think that it's loose/going bad or hitting something? I just put some more grease in the joint figure that it helps the thing operates more smoothly.

Doug,

When I brake the car does not make the noise so I don't think that it's brake related. The rubber block that I mentioned is position on the left side (passenager side) of the transfer case. I also see a big plate right underneath the transfer case also. I don't think that I'll go off road anytime soon :D

Thi

Rookie,

Do you think that it's loose/going bad or hitting something?  I just put some more grease in the joint figure that it helps the thing operates more smoothly.

When I bought my rig, a part of the exhaust pipe had hit something and was slightly bent towards the driveshaft. They didn't hit each other under normal driving, but if you turned hard and accelerated, you'd hear it hitting kind of like you explain. Again, you'd be able to see marks on the pipe if this is happening in your case.

I don't think the joint itself could be loose enough to bang against the pipe. The pipe would probably have to be bent from hitting on a rock or something.

Rookie

Well, I've looking at the U-Joint, Exhaust, control arm, but still not see anything rubbing with each other. One thing that I noticed is one of the bushing of the leading control arm worn out. Anyone replace the bushing before? Can I get by without any special tool?

I took the car to Lexus over the weekend. They said that my car was in a wrech before (I knew that); so body & suspension parts are rubbing against each others. They said that they cannot fix it, and refer me to a body shop. It seems like they did not know exactly where's the exact noise source though.

It did not make the noise when I bought the car; so some part must be worn out or something.

Thi

Can I get by without any special tool?

I believe you'll need a press tool and 20 ton press, or have a suspension shop do it for a nominal charge. I imagine the install is similar to this:

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_ome.htm

Go to the bottom and read where it talks about caster correction bushings. This is the proceedure for installing their correction bushings when putting in a lift.

You can probably get the OEM replacement bushings from Cruiserdan over at IH8MUD.com.

DougJohn can give you better feedback on it. I'm pretty sure he would of had his bushings replaced.

:cheers:

Rookie