The Free Mod Series - Part 1: Faster Shifting

jragosta You've missed a few things because you either didn't know them, or didn't know there is a bigger picture than you are looking at. It's no big deal.

Yes, the bigger picture is that you're recommending modifications which void the Lexus warranty and have the potential to damage someone's car. Other people have reported engine and transmission damage after doing the mods you're recommending.

Yet you insist that there's no risk to doing the things you recommend. IOW, you have your eyes closed tight and refuse to acknowledge the there's a world out there that you're too blind to see.

I don't mind people posting suggestions. What I mind is Toysrme's ignoring the risks involved when he posts all his suggestions. Readers need to know that changing the car to do things it wasn't designed to do carries risks.

I agree and have wondered if Toysrme ever purchased a Toyota brand new and drove it hundreds of thousands of miles without doing any Mods in order to find out the reliability and durability capabilities of the various components of an unModified Toyota? Then I clicked on his name and found out he was born May 18, 1983. This means Toysrme is 22 years old and has 6 years worth of driving experience.

My sister has been driving for over 50 years and she doesn't know diddley about working on a car.   :rolleyes:

She doesn't claim to know all about cars, either ;) The point here if you claim to know everything there is to know about cars, you gotta have experience to back it up with :geek: Not saying that the person in question is, in fact, ill-qualified for making the kinds of claims he does, but it is a very good point that having loads of experience works in his/her favor. Why do you think when you looking for a job, everyone asks for experience? ;) It's common sense, dude :cheers:

Toysrme has a 1993 ES300 which is mechanically the same car as a 1993 Camry. Here's an owner testimonial of the engine and transmission durability capability of an unmodified 1993 Camry: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/cam.jpg So that's the sort of durability standard I think Toysrme should go by when he claims this or that mod (like adding hardware store Acetone and Seafoam to the gas tank, removing the EGR valve, modifying the transmission shifting, etc.) will not adversely affect long term component reliability and durability.

Toysrme has a 1993 ES300 which is mechanically the same car as a 1993 Camry. Here's an owner testimonial of the engine and transmission durability capability of an unmodified 1993 Camry: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/cam.jpg  So that's the sort of durability standard I think Toysrme should go by when he claims this or that mod  (like adding hardware store Acetone and Seafoam to the gas tank, removing the EGR valve, modifying the transmission shifting, etc.) will not adversely affect long term component reliability and durability.

Exactly. Transmission and engine failures in that car are rare. A transmission failure after implementing the suggested change is VERY suspicious.

You can scream all you want. The facts are simple:

1. Lexus spends many millions of dollars designing their cars, testing them, and guaranteeing them based on their design.

2. Changing that design without an equivalent amount of testing is just as likely to cause problems as to improve things.

3. People have reported problems with the things you're suggesting. While it's impossible to prove that the problems were cause by the mods you're suggesting, you also can't prove that they weren't.

4. Given #3, I'd default back to #1. Lexus knows what they're doing. There's no evidence that you do.

I think it would be incumbent upon you to document (prove) any of these cases of problems/damage due to any of these mods being done as instructed. Therefore I am now asking you for that documentation. After all, we are adults here and any reasonable person would understand what risks, if any might be involved, and any reasonable person would also understand his own skill level and any limitations he might have in doing such mods.

You've got it completely backwards. The person suggesting that someone should violate their warranty and implement some changes that the factory doesn't approve is the one who has the burden of proof to show that their change won't hurt anything.

Leaving it alone will certainly not hurt anything - as shown by the number of Lexus vehicles which go past 200 K miles without problems.

So where's the proof that your modification won't hurt anything - particularly in light of the fact that people who have made these changes have had problems long before they would have in the normal course of things.

<_<

First hand experience. There is no substitute. My experiences with the mechanical side of these cars equals, or exceeds most people here at some things. I'm sure I've also done more research on more topics than the vast majority. Doesn't make me a God, but there you go. This also happens to be my career.

Calling in the fact that I am 22 is grossly irrelevant. It would be in the same league as someone saying, "Well yall are from California, so you that can't possibly know how a car works because California = hippies & hippies = PITA on mad shrooms! We all know PITA members on mad shrooms are non-productive.".

Both are as completely ludicrous as they are down right invalid. :rolleyes::lol:

Apparently illiteracy rules on this thread, or at least certain parties on it as there is already every bit of information here to put the puzzle together to begin with! Sadly, much of it is posted multiple times which makes this really sad. :(

Do your own research. You're questioning what I said, find your own relevant information. You don't challenge someone, then ask them to validate your side of the argument. Is November backwards month where you live!? If it is I need to know - it sucks being the only kid in school that doesn't know it's backwards! At any rate you know exactly what you're going to find... I am right, and you are wrong.

Why?

Because has been a well documented mod / adjustment for thirty years, and it's really adjustment... (It just feels good for most of us to say "mod" because it's like we actually did something hahahahahahaha!)

Google + big Toyota forums + Forum searches = a massively lopsided answer that you're not going to like. So far you've either fall into one of three dark holes, "I have not researched my own side of the argument because I am: incapable of using google+forum searches, lazy, or afraid to find out that I am wrong".

See the main problem in this thread right now is that an un-named party, or parties, are arguing without having any relevant information on what they're arguing about...

As we all know arguing without researching is akin to talking about something while not having the faintest idea about what you're talking about. IDK what the rest of yall call it, but down here it's either, "blowing smoke out your "butt". (Steve, note how "forum rules friendly"! No rule breakage in this post! LoL! :lol: :D :) )

Guys, look I rarely take offense to stuff & I haven't so far - to return the favor, address the fact that the side of this argument that I am not supporting (That means your side jragosta) - has done no research on what you're talking about. Like I've said umpteen times... (That means a gajillion + 1 in Alabama.)

<Beware: Extreme Sarcasm Zone Ahead>

This is well documented. <Nope>

This is well documented. <Wait.>

This is well documented. <Almost!¡!>

This is well documented. <I got it!>

Are we all on the same page again!?

<Now Leaving Extreme Sarcasm Zone>

Bawahahahahaha ahhhhhahaha

I think the funniest part about this so far is that yall are acting like it takes praying to a taboo pagan god in a low budget sci-fi flick to move some large mountain. It's not hard, nor would it take long to find the information you *claim* to want - so find it.

If you need help, ask me...

I will help! Click this to AIM me.

That's why my contact information is generally in every sig I make. Just don't confuse help with doing your job for you.

See Steve? I'm being questioned on my core beliefs, ethics, and general knowledge; yet I'm peaceful & in a relatively great mood because I think this is so ridiculous that it's simply hilarious! :lol: Definitely no need for insults on this thread! ROTFLMAO! rolling2.gif Everything is A-OK.

[tantrum snipped]

Sorry, your post resembles a teenager having a tantrum more than anything else.

And you can brag all you want about the massive experience you've had in your 6 years of driving, but it's laughable compared to the experience and skills of the people who designed and built the car - and they happen to disagree with you.

See Steve? I'm being questioned on my core beliefs, ethics, and general knowledge; yet I'm peaceful & in a relatively great mood because I think this is so ridiculous that it's simply hilarious! :lol: Definitely no need for insults on this thread! ROTFLMAO!

no problems here, I think you are handling it very well, not at all what is considered a tantrum by some.

There are various points brought up that make me laugh. For one, monarch's crack about your age. It doesn't hold water. Sure, some experience comes with age, but it also comes with exposure. I have worked with 30 year old surgeons in major teaching hospitals that can make a scaple sing AND I have seen 50 year old surgeons in small community hospitals that have been in the operating room for 20 some odd years yet look like they just got to med school.

In a few posts, jrag is concerned about invalidating warranties. Correct me if I am wrong, but your instructional posts deal primarily with the earlier model ES engine and trannies. It would be safe to say that the warranties on these systems have long since expired.

There are all types of people on internet forums. These people cover both ends of the spectrum and every point in between. There are those that are scared to touch (adjust, modify, etc) anything that the manufacturer has done. Conversely there are those that are willing to uncork the machine and see what wonderous possibilities are hidden inside. There is nothing wrong with either case. Each owner is accountable for his or her own decisions and actions.

If someone finds something that works, I would hope that they post it up. That is what the internet is for. I would also expect that before someone tries something that they do infact search on it to find validating results. If someone acts on a n=1, then they get what they deserve.

I am actually getting a chuckle out of this thread. Kind of reminds me of a guy named Tucker that had great imagination for possibilities with the automobile and the straight laced unbending stoics wouldn't hear of it. Fear that he may be right? Idk.

continue on gentlemen, but keep it peaceful.

steviej

The Moderator.

My sister has been driving for over 50 years and she doesn't know diddley about working on a car.  :rolleyes:

She doesn't claim to know all about cars, either ;) The point here if you claim to know everything there is to know about cars, you gotta have experience to back it up with :geek: Not saying that the person in question is, in fact, ill-qualified for making the kinds of claims he does, but it is a very good point that having loads of experience works in his/her favor. Why do you think when you looking for a job, everyone asks for experience? ;) It's common sense, dude :cheers:

Point is, driving experience does not equate to car mechanical, etc. knowledge. I believe the post to which I replied only referred to years of driving experience.

You can scream all you want. The facts are simple:

1. Lexus spends many millions of dollars designing their cars, testing them, and guaranteeing them based on their design.

2. Changing that design without an equivalent amount of testing is just as likely to cause problems as to improve things.

3. People have reported problems with the things you're suggesting. While it's impossible to prove that the problems were cause by the mods you're suggesting, you also can't prove that they weren't.

4. Given #3, I'd default back to #1. Lexus knows what they're doing. There's no evidence that you do.

I think it would be incumbent upon you to document (prove) any of these cases of problems/damage due to any of these mods being done as instructed. Therefore I am now asking you for that documentation. After all, we are adults here and any reasonable person would understand what risks, if any might be involved, and any reasonable person would also understand his own skill level and any limitations he might have in doing such mods.

You've got it completely backwards. The person suggesting that someone should violate their warranty and implement some changes that the factory doesn't approve is the one who has the burden of proof to show that their change won't hurt anything.

Leaving it alone will certainly not hurt anything - as shown by the number of Lexus vehicles which go past 200 K miles without problems.

So where's the proof that your modification won't hurt anything - particularly in light of the fact that people who have made these changes have had problems long before they would have in the normal course of things.

If you make claims, pro or con, the need to be backed up. I haven't seen that done here. Even first hand experience might be acceptable, but that's not been cited here either. Until proof is offered, those claims must remain suspect. It's only logical.

Warranty? I wasn't aware there were any '93 models out there still in warranty. If there are, please point them out and I'll go buy one. :D

[tantrum snipped]

Sorry, your post resembles a teenager having a tantrum more than anything else.

And you can brag all you want about the massive experience you've had in your 6 years of driving, but it's laughable compared to the experience and skills of the people who designed and built the car - and they happen to disagree with you.

There you go again, equating driving esperience to mechanic abilities. Most of the top aircraft mechanics I ever met, never flew a B52, but they sure could keep em flying.

There you go again, equating driving esperience to mechanic abilities.  Most of the top aircraft mechanics I ever met, never flew a B52, but they sure could keep em flying.

I would expect the "top aircraft mechanics" responsible for maintaining Air Force One (the President's 747) follow factory recommended preventive maintenance service procedures using factory recommended parts, fluids and filters. Ditto in regard to the "top aircraft mechanics" responsible for maintaining fleets of passenger jets

There you go again, equating driving esperience to mechanic abilities.  Most of the top aircraft mechanics I ever met, never flew a B52, but they sure could keep em flying.

I would expect the "top aircraft mechanics" responsible for maintaining Air Force One (the President's 747) follow factory recommended preventive maintenance service procedures using factory recommended parts, fluids and filters. Ditto in regard to the "top aircraft mechanics" responsible for maintaining fleets of passenger jets

You might be surprised how many of the modifications came originally from the guys in the shop.

But again you missed the point. The mecanics had no pilot experience. Being a pilot had nothing to do with being a mechanic. But then maybe you avoid the point on purpose, just as a diversion.

If the Toyota/Lexus engineers did a perfect job on every model, then I don't think there would ever be a TSB. In that case if there is a TSB, and if the engineering is perfect, then any TSB should be totally ignored, right?

That mod would probably damage the tranny because of the fact that it encourages the tranny to continuously downshift to gear 2 everytime you even start to go in on the throttle.

if you want to make the car downshift, just floor it...that is what the OEM design is. OEM kickdown is configured to engage when the pedal is almost floored. all this "mod" is doing is bringing the kickdown to a higher pedal level.

all the constant shifting caused by this frequent and unnecessary kickdown will eventually cause premature failure.

in escence you may as well drive your car with the shifter in gear 2. it would give the same effect and be easier on the tranny (worse on the engine though).

This isnt a mod. it is an intentional mis-configuration of the tranny.

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't like constant gear shifting (I don't either), don't set it so far. Duh!

(Just had to say that)

If this one makes you un-nerved,

you won't survive the next one!

I'll give a hint.

VB1.jpg

What's missing!?

:lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol: :lol::lol::lol: :lol: :lol::lol::lol: :lol: :lol::lol::lol:

;)

B)

• 2 years later...

I am just getting into the lexus club, I have a 93 ES300, the Kickdown cable is broken, from what I see all I need to do to replace it is dromp the pan, remove the nuetral switch, and disconnect the cable from the Throttole valve cam. According to my manual it looks like the same end that is on a Motorcycle cable.....is there anything else I need to do to replace the cable.

Thanks.

Capnfred