Need Pros And Cons On Pre-owned '00 Gs400

I just purchased a pre-owned 2000 GS 400 with 30k miles. However, I have yet to see the car.

I'm flying half way across the country in two days to claim the vehicle and projecting a long road trip back to california(1800+/- miles).

I particularly envision a swift ride home in this GS400 only because I had a smooth test drive experience at a local dealership in a car comparable to what I bought.

Hence, any type of input (based on experience) that you could share would be essential for my upcoming journey and for the most part, the unimaginable big picture.

This car is replacing a 740i BMW that is currently in the shop(and soon will be sold).

I wait impatiently to handle and manipulate this reportedly agile piece of machinery, the GS400.

Thanks loads in advance-

socalgs4

i picked up a 99 gs300 and have nothing but good things to say :D i did purchase an after market warrany for 3 years/45k miles just to be safe, but somehow i get the feeling i'm not going to need it. i would check your lex from top to bottom for anything out of the ordinary. before i got this one i looked at one and it was pretty beat up. though it was subtle i did notice some scratched off paint by one of the bumper joints, leading me to believe that it had been a fender bender or two... before i keep rambling on, just make sure you check out the car completely, take it to a lex dealer for an inspection.

it's a lexus/toyota so it'll pretty much run forever! my friend's got one and it's got 220k miles and still runs like new. good luck and enjoy your ride back :cheers:

I recently purchased my 2000 Platnum GS400 in NY area, and I am very happy with it. It has 28K miles on it. I paid $28500 for it. The car vibrated a little at 55-80 mph, but re-balance fixed the problem.

Before buying this car, I have looked at few others of same model. Besure that all the body serial plates are still in place and match with the vehicle serial number. Check for any paint chip on the hood of the car and the bumper. Lexus factory paint should be very thick. Chipping could be the sign of repaint... Look for any damage and/or bend on the radiator as it may have front-end damage. Look for any paint spray that may get under the hood and around the doors => sign of repaint. Make sure that the engine is smooth and has good acceleration. Lexus should be very quiet on the highway, except wind noise. Look under the car for any sign of silicon spray near the fender. Dealer tends to hide fender problem with silicon spray. Test drive it on the local and highway. Look for noise from the brakes, engine belts...

In general, do a complete check of the car. You are spending 30K for it. Good luck.

Hung

Hello GS enthusiasts

First and foremost, the helpful notes/inputs are very much appreciated. Thanks much.

I successfully picked up the car and am extremely stoked with it. The 2 day drive back to socal was a smooth run especially at 135mph top speed. This is a fabulous car, not to mention the robust power plant.

One query though...

Nearly flawless, silver on black 2000 GS400 with just under 31k miles (at purchase), nakamichi audio, cd changer, rear spoiler.

I paid $28.5 - Did I get a sweet deal?

Lastly,

I'm looking for a set of stock/optional 17" alloy wheels (unchromed), to buy. With tires is a bonus.

Thanks, paolo

• 1 year later...
Hello GS enthusiasts

First and foremost, the helpful notes/inputs are very much appreciated. Thanks much.

I successfully picked up the car and am extremely stoked with it. The 2 day drive back to socal was a smooth run especially at 135mph top speed. This is a fabulous car, not to mention the robust power plant.

One query though...

Nearly flawless, silver on black 2000 GS400 with just under 31k miles (at purchase), nakamichi audio, cd changer, rear spoiler. 

I paid $28.5    -    Did I get a sweet deal?

Lastly,

I'm looking for a set of stock/optional 17" alloy wheels (unchromed), to buy. With tires is a bonus.

Thanks, paolo

135 mph top speed? It goes way faster than that. I got my needle buried at 160 on the Kansas turnpike for a couple of minutes and still had another 1000 rpm to go until redline. Man I wish we knew of a way to take out the speed limiter !!!