Ls400 Motor Mount Replacement

Tom1204

I have a 1999 LS400 with 60,000 miles and our dealer is advising that the front and rear motor mounts need to be replaced. Does anyone have any advice on replacing these mounts, any unusual difficulties or problems to be expected?

Don't know about the 99 model, but my 95 was a pain in the *** on the passenger side. Driver's side was cake.....or so my mechanic said.

best way to replace the left and right motor mount or cushion is by taking out your steering rack and pinion, evrything is within easy access, but then again if you dont its a pain, now the tranny mount is a piece of cake

I have a 1999 LS400 with 60,000 miles and our dealer is advising that the front and rear motor mounts need to be replaced. Does anyone have any advice on replacing these mounts, any unusual difficulties or problems to be expected?

I dont really trust your dealer. Unless your car has gone through some serious times during its course of only 60K, you shouldnt have to replace them until 120k+.

I dont really trust your dealer. Unless your car has gone through some serious times during its course of only 60K, you shouldnt have to replace them until 120k+.

GRAND_LS 4 I couldn't agree with you more. The LS is my wifes car, it isn't driven hard, and no one has every serviced the car but the Lexus dealer (and it's received all recommended service, on schedule). We did not have to replace the mounts on her previous 92 LS, and it had 100,000 miles on it when sold. My LX470 currently has 70,000 miles on it, and no problem with motor mounts there either. Couple all of this with a quoted price of $975 to replace the mounts, and I know that I can purchase the parts for less than $250, I'am having a difficult time believing that the mounts need replacement.

I know when mine were replaced at 92k, the tranny one looked fine, but the two motor mounts were shot. I had that "thump" when you started the car, and could feel / hear the engine more throughout the frame. They made a big difference in my case. But, mine is also 4 years older than yours Tom and that might have been the difference.

GRAND_LS 4 I couldn't agree with you more. The LS is my wifes car, it isn't driven hard, and no one has every serviced the car but the Lexus dealer (and it's received all recommended service, on schedule). We did not have to replace the mounts on her previous 92 LS, and it had 100,000 miles on it when sold. My LX470 currently has 70,000 miles on it, and no problem with motor mounts there either. Couple all of this with a quoted price of $975 to replace the mounts, and I know that I can purchase the parts for less than $250, I'am having a difficult time believing that the mounts need replacement.

Do you notice anything wrong with the car? Or just a recommendation they made while it was there for service?

best way  to replace the left and right motor mount or cushion is by taking out your steering rack and pinion, evrything is within  easy access, but then again if you dont its a pain, now the tranny mount is a piece of cake

Is it easy to take out the steering rack? And would you need a wheel alignment thereafter?

if you are a DIY its pretty straight forward, if you have a repair manual, i replaced my steering rack and since everything is already in plain view i replace my motor mounts at the same time, and yes you need an alignment. :cheers:

• 9 years later...

What abnormality did you notice to prompt the replacement recommendation?

There are no "rear mounts". There is a single mount on each side of the engine and one under the transmission. The transmission mount is very easy to replace, probably within the capability of almost anyone with a wrench. The right engine mount isn't hard to do.

The left one (driver's side) is difficult to access but can be done without removing or moving any major components. The parts themselves can be bought inexpensively on line. Bad mounts are usually evidenced by vibration when in gear at idle. Vibration is lessened by increasing engine speed slightly. The mounts aren't very robust and can be expected to cause problems over 100K-120K miles or so. You should find a good, independent shop for your car. I have heard Lexus "service" reps. (not the techs themselves) say things to customers about their cars that simply weren't true. It is a business in which dishonesty is rampant and VERY profitable.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced all 3 mounts just a month ago. As mentioned above, the rear and driver sides were easy but the passenger side was a pain (although it looked easy as I didn't have to deal with the steering rack. I didn't have to touch the steering rack by the way and didn't do alignment after replacing them.

• 6 years later...

Hi I have a 1993 LS400 with 165,000 I bottomed out on something going slow ,now my engine is 2.5” higher in the front fan is hitting top radiator hose ,grinding noise coming from transmission has anyone seen this before?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2020 at 12:00 AM, RacWolfy said:

Hi I have a 1993 LS400 with 165,000 I bottomed out on something going slow ,now my engine is 2.5” higher in the front fan is hitting top radiator hose ,grinding noise coming from transmission has anyone seen this before?

i have not heard of your particular situation but you need to have your mounts inspected if you have not done so already. Have a shop put your car on a lift and your problem should be obvious.

• 3 weeks later...

So I  figured out what the deal was ,Two weeks prior to the incident I had my neighbor,a retired mechanic replace the front crank seal , he had the front of the engine tore down and when he put it back together he put the top radiator hose on backwards,so it did not clear the fan ,but we did notice because the top cover concealed it and the fan just stoped on the hose quitetly until the fan bearing got roached and sent a grinding sound through the intire car coincidentally the next next morning when I started the car after the bottom out , when I started investigating I saw the fan was hitting the hose and thought the engine had raised, checked motor mounts and realized  the hose was backwards and stoped the fan and ruined the fan  bearing , I did replace my trans mount anyway , that got rid of the heavy clunk when starting, anyway I bought the new bearing and John wanted to installed for free he was very embarrassed for having installed the hose backwards as I was for not noticing it as well anyway, I guess it was a false alarm, but thanks for responding and the segestion Craig that was a good call . Thanks Rob