Navigation System

Hi,

I'm a college student doing a project on voice recognition and text-to-speech and I'm currently concentrating on GPS systems in my research. I'm basically comparing several products, and the Lexus Navi System (2005) is one of them.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me who did the voice recognition software and who programmed the computer generated voice (the one that tells you where to go and speaks the name of the streets, etc)? I would imagine it was outsourced. All I could find was who did the mapping, etc.

Also, is there a place where I could find/download audio samples of the Lexus computer talking? I want to know how real it sounds compared to other systems that use prerecorded voices.

Thanks alot :)

e-mail me your address and Ill mail you the cd rom that comes with a new Lexus w/ nav. It walks through the different screens.

Thanks, but I was able to get a copy myself. :blushing:

The CD doesn't tell me much about the computer voice and it doesn't give me any sound samples. All you can hear is "please follow the highlighted route....", which imo is prerecorded and doesn't do much for me :(

I appreciate your help :D

• 4 weeks later...
e-mail me your address and Ill mail you the cd rom that comes with a new Lexus w/ nav. It walks through the different screens.

Thanks, but I was able to get a copy myself. :blushing:

The CD doesn't tell me much about the computer voice and it doesn't give me any sound samples. All you can hear is "please follow the highlighted route....", which imo is prerecorded and doesn't do much for me :(

I appreciate your help :D

it is japanese technology and lexus is very secretive of that kind of information. denso corporation is the company that made all the voice nav stuff and they wont even give out a schematic to their units. so sorry to say you are not going to get any information even if you had the denso head techs personal phone number. the usa denso location is in long beach calfornia and the the denso tech laughed at me the last time i called to try to get some information. .i get the feeling that they dont think we are intelligent enough here in the usa to understand their technology even if they gave us the information.

it is japanese technology and lexus is very secretive of that kind of information. denso corporation is the company that made all the voice nav stuff and they wont even give out a schematic to their units. so sorry to say you are not going to get any information even if you had the denso head techs  personal phone number. the usa denso location is in long beach calfornia and the the denso tech laughed at me the last time i called to try to get some information. .i get the feeling that  they dont  think we are  intelligent enough here in the usa to understand their technology even if they gave us the information.

Yeah, I got that feeling too. I thought Denso just did part of the system design, not the voice nav stuff. Where did you find that? :)

I wouldn't think they would tell us anything about their technology :(