Engine Knocking

moune

I have noticed that my engine makes a weird knocking noise when I am driving it. I don't know exactly what it is and was told that higher octane fuel will help remedy that. But since it is a LS, the highest octane is required already. So what is the next step up to take care of this problem. Please help.

do you have a check engine light on? when the knocking occurs? when you press the gas pedal or you hear it on a permanent basis?

do you have a check engine light on? when the knocking occurs? when you press the gas pedal or you hear it on a permanent basis?

Well I disabled my check engine light when I install a new instrument cluster, because it stayed on all the time. It starts to knock when I give it gas.

you dont have to enable the light to get the codes, connect the scanner to your OBD port located under the dash and get the codes. you can also reset the codes from the scanner. knocking under the acceleration means either low percentage of the gas in the mixture, bad gas, bad knock sensor and many other things. you have to get an error code to find out what exactly is causing this, it might be misfire in one or few cylinders as well.

Where are you buying your gas? Although you are putting premium in, is it from a reputable dealer? You may want to only get gas from a well-known chain. Also, best not to fill up your car when there is a tanker truck filling up the station's pumps as this will stir up all kinds of sludge in the storage tanks.

Are you saying that the computer causes problems on a 90 when it reaches high milage? I'll guess the TSB is the Technical Service Bulletin? Where do you find that?

Are you saying that the computer causes problems on a 90 when it reaches high milage?  I'll guess the TSB is the Technical Service Bulletin?  Where do you find that?

Both ECU & engine are the factors, and ECU replacement is the fix assuming the engine isn't out of wack. I found the TSBs on my AllData CD, and, the last time I checked, they were also readily available online and at the dealers.

Check engine error codes first before doing any repair.

Are you saying that the computer causes problems on a 90 when it reaches high milage?  I'll guess the TSB is the Technical Service Bulletin?  Where do you find that?

Both ECU & engine are the factors, and ECU replacement is the fix assuming the engine isn't out of wack. I found the TSBs on my AllData CD, and, the last time I checked, they were also readily available online and at the dealers.

Check engine error codes first before doing any repair.

I'm having the same type of problem. From idle, in gear, I get a little spark knock also. I'm running premium fuel and have no check engine light showing. Are you saying that the ECU is faulty because of high miles? I have 143k on my 90!!! Other than the little knock, engine runs great and plenty of power, fuel mileage is the same.

According to our owner's manuals, a little spark knock under transient conditions is completely normal, as the ECU runs the timing up to find what grade of gas is being used. If the knock continues under load, that's a problem, but if only during a rapid throttle opening, it is normal. Many engines experience this, and it causes no damage whatsoever.

If a tiny bit of spark knock was enough to damage a Lexus engine, I wouldn't have bought the car!

According to our owner's manuals, a little spark knock under transient conditions is completely normal, as the ECU runs the timing up to find what grade of gas is being used.  If the knock continues under load, that's a problem, but if only during a rapid throttle opening, it is normal.  Many engines experience this, and it causes no damage whatsoever.

If a tiny bit of spark knock was enough to damage a Lexus engine, I wouldn't have bought the car!

Quite likely, you need new spark plugs and cables. If so, you will find that over time, the problem will get worse at around 45 mph, 1800 - 2000 rpm.