Efi Fuse

After reading several posts that suggested pulling the EFI fuse to reset the transmission, I finally got around to doing it. Wow! I noticed a major difference in throttle feel and shift feel. I'm amazed at how much better it feels.

I had originally purchased my ES300 from an elderly (80's) driver who never took the car on the freeway. I had rarely driven automatics prior to my Lexus, but the shifts never felt right. Much smoother now!

Many of the posts I read said that after replacing the fuse the driver went out and drove their car as fast as possible. Why is this? Instead of driving quickly, I've just been driving like normal, since I mainly use side streets. Is there a benefit to pulling the fuse then driving faster?

Should I re-pull the fuse and then take it out on the freeway?

I swear I love this car more and more the longer I own it! :wub::wub:

Thanks!

by pulling the fuse, it has cleared your "habits" that the tranny/ECU has learned so to speak. Pulling the fuse is in essence clearing the memory. The programming reverts back to the factory default and you begin the learning curve/process again.

People say to go drive the freeway so it will learn quick acceleration and fast shift points. However, the learning process takes time and about 1000 miles or so to be really effective. I don't one run on the highway will set that programming in stone.

Not to burst your bubble, but you most likely will slowly regain the ES behavior that was present before you pulled the EFI, because that is the way you drive over a long period of time.

steviej

It's not to drive fast at a steady freeway speed, but to do some kick down accelerations once in awhile. Just blow it out once a week or so, and it will keep on running and shifing well. Of course, if you drive like a granny for the next few hundred miles, the car will revert to granny style. :D

where is this EFI fuse located? fuse box under the hood? or underneath steering column? which one exactly is it?

I have a 99 ES. The EFI fuse for mine is located under the hood on the driver's side parallel to the front fender. I used the schematic from the owner's manual obtained from lexus.com. The schematic is also on the underneath of the fuse box.

The EFI fuse on mine is #18, double check to make sure it's the same on the 98:

Document.rtf

Hopefully, the graphic worked?!?! :wacko:

• 15 years later...