Hard Shifts in 2002 GS 300

My new GS 300 occasionally makes very hard shifts between 2nd and 3rd (I think). This only occurs under light throttle at low speed (20 -30 mph).

A magazine article said this also occurs in the IS 300 and is due to some digital miscommunication in the control electronics.

Anyone know if this can be fixed. Lexus dealer acknowledges the problem but says they can't do any thing about it

Larry

Welcome to the club. I also have the same problem. As quoted from Lexus Customer Service, "It has been determined that your concern with the transmission is a normal characteristic for the 2001 GS 300. No defects in materials and/or workmanship were found."

It is hard be believe that this inherit annoying problem can't be fixed. :evil:

Hi

I just returned from a 1900 mile trip in the GS300 and it only hard shifted once. Of course most of the trip was on the highway. I am very dissappointed in Lexus' attitude about this. I bounght the Lexus instead of a BMW because of the Lexus reputation for quality and reliability.

I discovered a couple of other things about the car on my trip, some good some bad.

On the bad side I already have three rock chips, so the complaints I have seen on the euro Lexus club site may be true. Another characteristic I not fond of is the car has very low straight ahead stability. This is OK on curvy roads but a nusaince on straight freeways. I think the car could use more postive caster or toe in.

On the good side: really comfortable seats, very quiet, very good sound system, fine controls(although I miss audio volume cotrol on the wheel), plenty of power and good gear selection. All in all a very fine traveling car.

Larry