Fuel Consumption

In my other post, we started talking about fuel consumption, and writing down what we are getting out of our cars.. Some get 21miles to the galon, others 25...

25..That works out to about 9kms to the litre... As I live in Japan, there is really no such thing as highway driving.. Well the way I have to go to work anyways..

And so, everywhere I go is city driving.. And I am only getting 6.5-7kms to the litre which works out to about 17miles to the gallon?

I am not technically minded, but have a single pipe on the back with a twin head exaust, and basically as I know it, a stock motor...

What can I do to increase my performance a little. Even if I could get another km or 2 out of it, I will be happy.. I am going to try the heavier oil. But any thing I can run through the fuel, or engine to help me out? Any tricks would be helpfull!.. Which way should I hold my tongue when driving? That sought of stuff!

:ph34r: Chris :ph34r:

post-7-1057052908.jpg

not sure on product available in japan

a good fuel injector cleaner would work that is done by a shop for 100

the oil will not help mileage thuogh only wear inside the engine and noises

could probably use a good internal cleaning though to clean all the varnish from stop and go driving

but as i never have been to japan i cannot speak for there roads and conditions

in accordance with sk, I cannot speak to what my driving would yield if me and my car were in the land of the rising sun.

I have yielded 23-24mpg city and 30 highway with a totally stock setup except:

K&N drop in filter

synthetic 5W-30 oil changed every 4-5k miles.

I only run premium fuel (93 octane, US rated)

before the filter, I was running 20-21 mpg city. Drop in filter results may vary amongst users and engines.

steviej

As the place is pretty small. I dont get to go crazy much.. So I would say that I drive at a normal city pace.. Every now and then when I need to, I get under her a bit and let her raw. But again, that is not very often... I will try the oil.. And in Japan, we have regular fuel, and hi oc.. I guess it is high octane? Not sure.. What would be the story with that?...

Anyways, thanks for the help.. I will try a few things and let you know.. But if anyone else has any suggestions, I would love to hear. Good or bad...

please remember that Jap cars residing in Japan are tuned for 100 octane fuel while in the US its anything from 87 to 93 aint it?

surely that must play an important factor into consumption and performance

Hey good point!...

Well I just finished a tank of fuel. Fuel light started to come on, and I was just on 440kms.. Some guy said that he gets another 40kms after the light comes on.. I didnt want to risk it... But I am sure I would have made 450kms no probs? That works out to just under 8kms to the litre..Better than I first thought, but still not happy? Is that the norm? 20miles to the gallon? I think???

Oh yeah.. What size tank do we have in the 96 ES.. I am thinking 60litre? Thats how I am working everything out...

2002 ES has a 18.5g tank (sorry, 70 L). I don't know if that changed from previous.

I have 2-3 gallons left when my light comes on. But I never let the light come on. I always fill up when I get to 1/4 tank.

steviej

hey aus the oil will not help you save gas that i mentioned it only helps reduce waer on the engine

sorry for the mix up

i get an 100km once the fuel low light comes on

this might sound stupid but try replacing wires from the battery

with newer bigger gauge

i did that last night since i was putting a new battery in

i also changed to new termnials

while i was doing all this i found a few of the wires from the battery to be in slightly bad condition especially the + one for the starter

and the body ground located under the battery tray

it may cost about $30 for the wire and conetors

i have to say the car has pepped up

it starts alot faster and with a much more up beat sound than before

the lights on the dash have whitined againand my battery gauge is now always at peak

so it was a much improved thing to do

also i noticed the car much happier to rev harder

time to go back to the dyno

oh yah i have also changed the batteyr before and had it trickle and rapid charge many times and never had this much of a response

i also have an optima spiral battery now which does have reduced resistance so i guess itis up in the air

but i did find the bad wires

starter and ground are about 1 1/2 feet so it is very short and easy to change

Hey Sky.. Will do...Anything to get a little more power out of her....

Another thing I wanted to ask was. I changed my badges, and when removing the sticky stuff from the original badges, i scrubbed a little too hard on the bodywork, and so wore a little on the paint... I am thinking giving it a wax, and hope I can buff it up.. Any ideas??? It looks a little flat at the momment..

sorry to jump in sk, but something similar happened to me recently.

try a "cleaner wax" first. use a very soft cloth and put a dab of wax on the dull spot. make very smal circles starting in the center and work out. I prefer the liquid cleaner waxes over the paste kind. Gives you a little moisture to work with.

if that doesn't do it, then kick it up a notch.

try a very fine cut polishing compound, with a very soft cloth. same motion as the wax. Again, i prefer liquid pc's rather than pastes.

If this does it, then go back with he cleaner wax to smooth it out even further.

Go light, go slow and make small cirlces (dime size).

If it works and you have waxed the spot you need to adhere the emblem to, a little rubbing alcohol will cut the wax.

good luck.

steveij

not sure on product available in japan

a good fuel injector cleaner would work that is done by a shop for 100

the oil will not help mileage thuogh only wear inside the engine and noises

could probably use a good internal cleaning though to clean all the varnish from stop and go driving

but as i never have been to japan i cannot speak for there roads and conditions

skperformance,

what is the earliest mileage you would recommend a throrough fuel injection cleaning? Also, I found a place that does a Bilstein r-200 engine flush for 2/3 the price of the dealer cost (dealer uses the BG system). IS the engine flush a waste of money?