01 Gs300 Transmission Issue

I have had my 01 GS3 for about six weeks now. Yesterday I was going around a corner and got in it a little, the car hesitated, VSC kicking in??, and then shifted into third hard. Since then if I am getting on it, it shifts from 2nd to 3rd differently. Around 4000 rpm, the tranny seems to slip, the rpms jump up a couple hundred and then it shifts hard into 3rd. This only happens between 2nd and 3rd. I also have noticed that reverse is a little jumpy/hesitant. Should I be Freaking out??? This is definitely not how it was shifting

I have checked the threads, only a couple of complaints about shifting when these cars were newer. Nothing about that slipping/increased revs.

There are 42000 miles on it so I am not sure about Warranty coverage. I have no idea how particular Lexus is with the transmission coverage after 4/50.

Thanks,

Kerry

I checked the fluid last night, the level was fine. The fluid smelled foul but not necessarily burned.

As for the warranty I think it was 4/50 btb, and 6/70 drivetrain. I will call to make sure. I just am not sure how picky Lexus is on drivetrain warranty, i.e. does the tranny have to fall out of the car before they cover anything or is it pretty comprehensive.

I checked the fluid last night, the level was fine. The fluid smelled foul but not necessarily burned. 

It's bad, flush it and replace with new fluid, clean filter as well! Lexus sure won't help you if you've not maintained your tranny! <_<

I am going through all fluids and other service items ASAP.

Should I disconnect the battery to reset the ECU to learn my driving habits or will it happen without having to do that?

Should I disconnect the battery to reset the ECU to learn my driving habits or will it happen without having to do that?

It will eventually learn your driving habits, however it's quicker to pull the EFI fuse. <_<

It will eventually learn your driving habits, however it's quicker to pull the EFI fuse. <_<

Workshop manual states the ecu should be disconnected for 5 minutes to clear the gearbox settings, easiest way is disconecting the battery. The engine settings are quickly cleared by pulling the correct fuses (EFI and ECTS) for 10 - 30 seconds.

I think I'll pull the fuses, that will save me some time resetting the stereo and home link.

I checked with Lexus today, they are running a special...$249 for a tranny flush, isn't that special. I called Aamco on the reccomendation of a my Honda mechanic, $100 flushed and refilled with Toyota Product.

For what its worth, I found Lexus customer service (nationwide, 800 number etc.) to be very helpful. Mine was certified used and I had a problem with my trans that the local dealer would never get to the bottom of. I complained to the national number a few times and they got the local shop to work harder on it and eventually they replaced my trans and everything is good and has been fine for a while.

My impression about them was that if you're reasonable and you can demonstrate that you've maintained your car well, they want to take care of you. If your car really has 42000 miles on it (nothing fishy about the mileage), it is unreasonable to think that a $40K Lexus that's less than 5 years old should have a serious trans problem. Lexus wants and has a reputation for great reliability and customer service and they want to keep it that way -- if you explain it to them like that I bet they will take care of you. I'm not saying they would pay for a fluid change, but if you did all of the above and paid for a fluid change and there was still a problem, I bet they would take care of it or at least offer you some help.

Mine is outside of the 3 years for my certified warranty but is still under the 100,000 miles. They offered me a significant break on another problem I was having. The trans thing started when I was still under the 3 years, but they didn't end up fixing until after the 3 years.

Per Countyline Lexus here in Hollywood, FL the factory warranty is 4/48

I bought my '01 GS300 6 weeks ago. I realized after buying it from a non-Lexus dealer that one of the rear shocks was bottoming-out. When I took it into the dealer it had 48,200 miles on it. I was prepared to pay to have the shocks replaced since it was actually outside the warranty. Without even asking, my service guy put everything through under the warranty and I didn't have to pay a penny.

So, if you only have 42k on yours, you should get it into the dealer, explain the problem and let them know that you want to get it solved before the car goes out of warranty. If they give you any flack that because it was originally sold in say February 2001, that it's beyond the 4 year mark, tell them you want to see in writing what determines the starting point of the 4 years. If they don't want to give in at first, usually if you lean on them a little, they will give in. If not, that's why there's the national customer service line.

BTW...this happened a couple years ago on my Acura. When I told the the dealer the tranny was acting funny, they did a complete service on it under warranty.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the input guys. I have it at a T.O. Haas where a friend is a mechanic. He has worked on all my Lexus and Honda cars. He is very particular and services his own warranteed vehicles with oem parts and mfg sugg materiels. He is going to flush the system with the tranny fluid from Lexus for $80. Lexus wanted $249 for the same service. He is flushing the cooling system and brake system at the same time.

This car was off lease in Missouri and a local dealer I know bought it and sold it to me. As a matter of fact, it was sold in February of 2001. I guess my only concern is that Lexus will look down on the fact that I did the service somewhere else. I have had the car checked since I bought it and there is no record of any service except for the $1000 mi service and a coupe of oil changes. So, that is why I am having all fluids and filters changed now. I have only had the car six weeks so this is all I will have to prove maintenance.

I guess I feel since I bought the car from a non Lexus dealer and am having others and myself service it, I may not have much to lean on them with.

Its an unfortunate dilemma because the car is in such great shape. This is my third Lexus an I have alot of faith in the cars integrity.

I am taking it out of town this weekend, after the service, so I will be able to put some miles on it to see if it was just a happenstance of tranny fluid at the end of tis life. I will keep you posted.

I do appreciate all the great info!!!!

I think I'll pull the fuses, that will save me som time resetting the stereo and home link.

If you pull the EFI fuse, you don't have to reset anything!

<_<

You also have to pull the ECTS fuse on a series II as the ECU has two power sources. It's in the workshop manual and also can be confirmed with the wiring diagrams.

I think I'll pull the fuses, that will save me som time resetting the stereo and home link.

<_<

You also have to pull the ECTS fuse on a series II as the ECU has two power sources. It's in the workshop manual and also can be confirmed with the wiring diagrams.

Colin, ECTS fuse, series II?? Over my head in acronyms..please explain! Thanks

KerryJ,

I am having the exact same problem with my 01 GS300...I've received no help from Lexus because it never happens when their Techs are driving the car...and surprise surprise the damn car doesnt do it when I want it too....

SO..I bought it in 10/04 with 42k miles....its now 05/05 and I have 53k on it and every other day it happens and I am having to live with it...my work and school take up so much time that I havent even had the chance to get rid of it and buy a new one...

if the transmission flush works please let me know..as you can imagine I'm now really tired of it and although my car looks awesome I'm beginning to hate it and Lexus too...

my email is rishin99@hotmail.com

Thanks alot

As long as you have receipts for work done or maintenance, it make no difference. You can choose who you would like to work or maintain your car. Now if the problem is traced back to whoever did the work previously then that's another problem. If you go to Lexus with a problem and you have receipts showing preventative maintenance was done on a vehicle and a problem still developed, it will be better for you, as it shows ou've maintained the vehicle. <_<

[

Alfa56,

have you tried removing/replacing the fuses etc? I'm getting so tired of this...I used to own Honda's and thought the only luxury line car that would be as realible if not more would Lexus....but man was I wrong..

quote=alfa56,May 19 2005, 10:09 AM]

I did full transmission flush at dealership and it did not help

[

Alfa56,

have you tried removing/replacing the fuses etc? I'm getting so tired of this...I used to own Honda's and thought the only luxury line car that would be as realible if not more would Lexus....but man was I wrong..

quote=alfa56,May 19 2005, 10:09 AM]

I did full transmission flush at dealership and it did not help

Alfa56 and rishin99, I feel your pain...Hang in there. These cars have 6yr 72k mi warranty on drivetrain. You must be persistent with the Lexus Dealer. Going a step furhter like 98 GS and SFLGS300 did and document all correpondence and services regarding this issue and take it to a higher level. Is the problem progressing at all? Is reverse acting sluggish? I had to reschedule my tranny flush until tomorrow. I am going to diconnect the fuses tonight and see if that makes a difference?? I don't expect it too. Hopefully the tranny service helps.

Turbo I agree that it would be hard for Lexus to ignore a problem on a car that has a well documented and proper service history, unfortunately some of us haven't had these cars for very long, and only have minimal service records from a short period of time.

I am not freaking out like I was. I bought a Lexus for a reason, and I made sure it had plenty of drivetrain warranty left for a reason. Why else offer warranties if they are only good to those who service at Lexus or buy at Lexus Dealers.

We will see what tomorrow brings...its great to have such knowledge and experience so readily available! Thanks to all who are keeping up with this thread.

<_<

Colin, ECTS fuse, series II?? Over my head in acronyms..please explain! Thanks

ECTS fuse is just one of the fuses in the engine bay which provides power to the engine ECU. If you want to reset the ECU you must remove this fuse.

Series II, Mark 2 - the second generation of Lexus GS 1998-2005.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/knowledge...ex_v2&id=35&c=3

If you want to reset the transmission then leave the fuses out for 5 minutes or more.

I had all fluids changed on Friday. The tranny was flushed and I still had the akward shift. I took it out of town this weekend and put about 400 miles on it. I could reproduce the problem from a dead stop everytime I tried. When i got home tonight I put in the new air and cabin filters and pulled the ECTS and the EFI fuses, waited five minutes and replaced them. I road tested the car for 45 minutes applying every shifting combo, cornering and from a dead stop...I was unable to get it to happen. I hate to be too optimistic, but I think we have a fix!! Thanks for the guidance Colin and Turbo, I will sleep well tonight. You guys rock!

Rishin and Alfa, have you tried pulling these fuses yet??

I almost forgot, reverse still feels like it has a sublte lurch to it, I think I remember my first gen GS doing this also. Does anyone esle notice this???

Thanks again.