Refinishing Clearcoat

Ok, so i painted my bumper (two toned) perfect with the clearcoat after and it looks fantastic. I thought i would do the hood and the paint went on well except I f-ed up on the clearcoat and it ran down the hood a bit. Is it possible to wet sand or sand the clearcoat off and re-apply new clearcoat without any problems?

Ok, so i painted my bumper (two toned) perfect with the clearcoat after and it looks fantastic. I thought i would do the hood and the paint went on well except I f-ed up on the clearcoat and it ran down the hood a bit. Is it possible to wet sand or sand the clearcoat off and re-apply new clearcoat without any problems?

I'm no painter but- i think you would have to sand down then feather the surrounding surface.

i had a hood done and there was a screw up by the windshield washers...they did what you want to do and even they screwed it up.(and they were pros)

the right way is to do the whole hood over.

exdotcomer,

We ocassionally have to get rid of a "sag" or "gravity indicator" in the restoration shop where I work. If you are careful, and patient, you can sand down the run using first 1500, then 2000 grit wet/dry paper, using a hardwood block (say a 5 inch long hockey stick handle) with the paper wrapped around it. The trick is to soak the paper in mildly soapy water first (keeps the paper from loading up with scraped off paint) and frequently lubricate the area you're sanding with a sprayer full of the same soapy water, or just plain water. The trick is to wet the area first, sand in the same direction for 7 or 8 strokes, and then sweep the water off the area with a squeegie. (We use a quarter inch thick rubber pad measuring 2 by 5 inches). You check your progress, and continue until you believe you have the sag removed. Then change to the 2000 grit and repeat the process, but in a cross direction, in order to remove the scratches you made with the 1500 grit. After say 2 repeats with the 2000, stop. Squeegie again and now is the time to use rubbing compounds to bring up the shine to the same level as the surrounding paint, using a power buffer. If you are careful, no, you won't have to repaint the entire panel. If you have any doubts.... go see a restoration professional to get a better explanation. If you still have doubts...it might be cheaper in the long run to let a professionl do the job for you. If its just a simple sag, say 2 inches long, they should be able to do the entire area for you in less than a half an hour...and how expensive could that be? Good luck!