Fuel Injector

Hey all, I have a 2000 ES w/ almost 90'000 on it. Lately when I start it , it will turnover, RPM's hit 500 for a second and then it stalls. It is cured by stepping on the accelerator to get the RPM's up to idle, then it's fine for the rest of the ride and there is no stalling at all. This just started happening and it's erratic, it does not happen most of the time. Any idea what this could be?

No, I was surprised about this. I don't think it could be a major problem but I just can't figure what it is. I haven't done much work on this car. I used to do all my own work but now I live in the city and don't have a driveway.

No, I was surprised about this.  I don't think it could be a major problem but I just can't figure what it is.  I haven't done much work on this car.  I used to do all my own work but now I live in the city and don't have a driveway.

worse comes to worst you just adjust your idle a bit for now

I always use premium gasoline. Plugs and wires definitely need to be changed out. I picked up some iridium plugs but just haven't done it yet. I have not put any injector cleaner in it. Can you recommend an injector cleaner?

sounds like a combination of dirty IACV (idle air control valve) and throttle body. Common problem, as the miles go up, carbon builds up on those items. Rough idle and no start conditions are usually the symptoms. The stomping the gas pedal points me to the IACV. Do a SEARCH on "control valve" over the past year just in the ES thread and you will see what I am talking about.

both can be cleaned manually or professionally. You may also want to consider having a motorvac done (speciallized service that cleans the entire top end of the motor). You have to hunt around for a shop offering this service in your area.

steviej

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just got the motorvac service. $85 to plug this tank into one of my intake hoses and run the car for 30 minutes. The problem ceased for a week then I had an incident yesterday but the car never stalled. the idle just crept along at 350 then I gave it the gas. So basically it has made the problem occur less. I am now going to put in iridium plugs and new wires and see where that gets me. I have to change the timing belt in two weeks so I'm trying to not replace the IACV if I don't have to. Of course, the mechanics want at least $500 to replace it. May have to do it myself.

The throttle body may need some more cleaning.

As a motorvac cleans everything that comes into contact with gas not air. So the throttle body is before them and is cleaned by a can sprayed by the tech.

It probably needs to thave the secondary bypass recleaned.

Take it back and mention it to them, they might redo the throttle body for free.

• 1 month later...

As a motorvac cleans everything that comes into contact with gas not air. So the throttle body is before them and is cleaned by a can sprayed by the tech.

Take it back and mention it to them, they might redo the throttle body for free.

Thanks man,

I think I have to take off the plenum to get to my 3 rear plugs, where the plenum attaches to that intake, is that where I should spray the injector cleaner? Speakign of which, do I need to take off that plenum to get to the rear plugs?

Thanks man,

I think I have to take off the plenum to get to my 3 rear plugs, where the plenum attaches to that intake, is that where I should spray the injector cleaner? Speakign of which, do I need to take off that plenum to get to the rear plugs?

Blackes2000 - note that I just posted what sounds like the same problem, though when I accelerate and pump up the RPMs, I still need to keep my foot on the gas pedal . Has your problem been solved by changing the plugs or otherwise?

Hmac,

My problem occurs much less now. Probably once every 3 weeks. I was changing the plugs last night when I went to pull the coil off and the clip broke off. I'm hoping that the new plugs add to the problem occurring less. I would start with a motorvac service, it cleans your whole upper throttle body. That's what helped me a lot.

Hmac,

My problem occurs much less now. Probably once every 3 weeks.  I was changing the plugs last night when I went to pull the coil off and the clip broke off.  I'm hoping that the new plugs add to the problem occurring less. I would start with a motorvac service, it cleans your whole upper throttle body. That's what helped me a lot.

thanks very much. I'm going to have to bring it in and I'll talk to my guy about that (unfortunately I don't have the skill to get under the hood like you do). And I'll keep you posted as to how things turn out.