Rx330 Fuel Consumption

truonsi1

Hello all, I just bought the RX330 2 months ago.According to the spec ,the RX330 supposed to get 20/26 miles per gallon (city/hightway).The most I can get out of my RX330 is 16 in the city and 21 on the hightway ( using cruise control ).My 2002 4runner do better than this.Is there anybody knows something about this PLEASE let me know.Thanks.

Quick question, do you have the FWD or AWD version? 20/26 is the rating for the FWD only. The AWD's rating is less. Also how are you recording your mileage? For highway driving, a good way to test would be to drive the same route preferably over a longer distance and reset the avg mpg reading after you have hit highway speeds.

If most of your trips are very short, this will dramatically effect mileage. Also, don't rely on the computer. Compute the mileage by dividing the miles driven by the number of gallons it takes to refill the take.

My F150 pickup is rated for 15 in town. Most of my trips are only 1-2 miles in length. The truck actually is getting between 11-12.

My Jeep Wrangler was rated at 18 in town. It was a 6cyl sport. Making the same short 1-2 miles trips, it got 13 in town. But making 15-20 mile average trips, it got 18 which was what it was rated for.

Gas mileage depends on a lot of variables. The distance, how hard you gas it at red lights, (I'm bad for this one) and the amount of stop and go you do. Those posted mileage ratings are an average. If you look at the sticker, it will post the range.

RickC

Thank you RX300-BV and RickyC for your inputs.The way i check my gas mileage is fill up the gas tank, zero down the meter and keep driving until the next fill up then using the miles divide by the gallons.I do this every time i fill up.Last month i drove 1000 miles to North Carolina, I checked with speed limit of 45, 55, 65, 75 miles per hour with cruise control on. The results were between 19 & 21 miles per gallon ( My 2002 4runner spec is 17/19 miles per gallon but on hightway it can get 20 miles per gallon.)May i ask if you own a RX330 or RX300? And how is it doing on the gas mileage?Please let me know.Sincerely thanks.

truonsi1,

I have an RX300. It gets about 20.5 mpg driving about 40% city - 60% highway. When cruising on the highway it's mpg ranges from 21-26 depending on speed without cruise control. It seems that I can better control the efficiency then the cruise control.

I have an all wheel drive RX330 and on my first tank that I checked it got 21 MPG. This was about 75% highway miles, without using the cruise control. So from what I've seen so far I think that I will be able to meet or beat the posted gas mileage after break in.

I have a brand new RX330 FWD. It got 20 Interstate driving to Florida. It got 22 combo, running around in Florida and heading back on the Interstate. Then the next tank got 20 again. I filled up 5 times with about 1500 miles, but had gas when I got home. Each tank was 20mpg except the combo tank which was 22. Now, this car is brand new. It had 300 miles on it when I left for the trip. The mileage isn't what it's rated and I hope that is because it's not broken in. I also drove 80-85 all the way there and back where I could. When I hit the backroads, I drove the speed limits. This vehicle was also loaded with luggage for 4, plus a cargo carrier full. It sagged in the rear is was so loaded, but not sure of the weight.

I will try to keep updates

~1800 miles now....

RickC

RickC, I'm afraid that as long as you drive it 80-85 and have it LOADED then you aren't going to get the rated mileage. I don't know for sure but I would bet that's not the way it's driven when they come up with the EPA estimated mileage. The break-in isn't going to make much difference. I usually drive around 5 mph above the speed limit, first tank was 21, the second was 22 on an AWD RX-330. The second tank was more city driving than highway also. My wife is taking it on a trip next week and I'll get her to check the mileage but I'm going to guess it will get between 23 and 26. I'll let you know.

RickC,

20-22 mpg with a car full of passengers plus loaded with luggage, a stuffed cargo carrier creating bad aerodynamics, and speeds at 80-85 mph is pretty damn good.

Its very doubtful that any car can hit it's rated mpg under these conditions. On the other hand, driving just yourself, no cargo, no cargo carrier, at about 55-60 mph will more then likely meet or exceed your cars rated mpg.

My RX300 gets between 24-27 mpg if I drive it between 50-60 mph on the highway.

• 3 weeks later...

I've put about 2500 miles on my RX330 (AWD version). The window sticker reads 18/24. So far, I'm getting about what Lexus claims. Note: I always use premium gas even though you don't have to in the Rx330.

City: 18 avg

Around town doing short errands with just one adult + one child...no luggage

Highway: 24-26 avg!

I've made two long trips and was very pleased with the numbers.

Two adults + one child + luggage