How To Disable Automatic Tilt Steering Wheel

odoyle

i have a 98 lx470. does anyone know how to disable the auto tilt steering wheel when the the key is removed from the ignition? i would still like to be able to adjust it manually. thanks for the help.

i have a 98 lx470. does anyone know how to disable the auto tilt steering wheel when the the key is removed from the ignition? i would still like to be able to adjust it manually. thanks for the help.

The dealer has a code book of all the items that can be enabled/disabled. They can do that for you.

jacara

thanks for the advice i'll give the dealer a call.

indiasfinest

the reason i want to disable it is because it broke once with the original owner and he had it fixed under warranty. i've read this is a common problem and i would rather disable it before it breaks again because the warranty has expired.

thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but has anyone come up with a way to disable the motor themselves and still leave the ability to manually adust it with the buttons? I just purchased a 2001 and it is working ok, but really don't see the need of it moving each and every time I get in and out of the vehicle.

The dealer did it for me for my 98 LX470. But they stated that if auto is disabled it will not work at all. Not on demand even from the buttons. Pretty much all or nothing. So I showed them where I wanted it and then they disabled it. I started to have problems with it working intermittently so I wanted it where it was most comfortable before it cratered completely. I think they wanted over $1500 for a new system.

I know this is an old thread, but has anyone come up with a way to disable the motor themselves and still leave the ability to manually adust it with the buttons? I just purchased a 2001 and it is working ok, but really don't see the need of it moving each and every time I get in and out of the vehicle.

The attached LPS list is for the 2007 LX470 and I don't know the first model year they apply to -- probably 2001 or 2002. Any Lexus dealer should be about to tell you.

Disabling the "auto tilt away" through LPS does not disable the adjustment buttons on the steering column.

LX470_LPS.pdf

The attached LPS list is for the 2007 LX470 and I don't know the first model year they apply to -- probably 2001 or 2002. Any Lexus dealer should be about to tell you.

Disabling the "auto tilt away" through LPS does not disable the adjustment buttons on the steering column.

I think the LPS program was not available across all models until the 2005 model year. So any LX model before then I think it's all or nothing.

I think the LPS program was not available across all models until the 2005 model year. So any LX model before then I think it's all or nothing.

OK ... I finally found the customizable feature list for the 1998-2002 LX470 on the Chilton website -- it is attached.

It looks like only one feature on the 98-02 LX can be customized -- the "auto tilt away" steering wheel can be disabled.

Disabling the "auto tilt away" should not disable the tilt/telescope adjustment button on the steering column -- at least it does not when disabling the "auto tilt away" on the 98-00 LS400 like I have.

I suspect that the first year of the wildly expanded customizable settings list for the LX began with the 2003 model year since the list was substantially expanded for the LS beginning with the 2001 model year. Maybe NicLX470 can supply definitive information???

LX470_1998_2002_CBES_LPS.pdf

OK ... I finally found the customizable feature list for the 1998-2002 LX470 on the Chilton website -- it is attached.

It looks like only one feature on the 98-02 LX can be customized -- the "auto tilt away" steering wheel can be disabled.

Disabling the "auto tilt away" should not disable the tilt/telescope adjustment button on the steering column -- at least it does not when disabling the "auto tilt away" on the 98-00 LS400 like I have.

I suspect that the first year of the wildly expanded customizable settings list for the LX began with the 2003 model year since the list was substantially expanded for the LS beginning with the 2001 model year. Maybe NicLX470 can supply definitive information???

Awesome I am glad you found that.

Unless there was a total loss of communication my dealer told me that it was not possible to disable auto without turning off the whole system.

I might have to print this and show it to them!!

And yes the dealer must do it.