Lemon? Poor Lexus Service?

nyc11370

I bought the 05 GX 3 months ago

First Problem – Windshield creaking noise

Within the first week, I heard creaking noises came from the windshield around the rearview mirror area. It is especially noticeable during nighttime driving because outside is quiet. Some days I hear the noise but some days I don’t, so the problem is on and off. It is very annoying because the car is new and it’s not cheap.

The 1st time I took the car in I cannot duplicate the problem so I took the car home without fixing it.

The 2nd time I took the car in, I was able to duplicate the problem to the “road test technician”, but he disagreed the source of noise, he said it is from the dash not the mirror. Anyway I didn’t argue because he is the professional dealing with the cars everyday. I schedule the appointment w/ loaner car for the next week.

First Attempted Fix

A week later I took the car to the dealer as scheduled even I did not notice the noise that day.

I picked up the car a week later. I started to notice the windshield creaking noise again the next day. Also, I found the same mileage on the odometer, so very obviously the “hands-on” tech did not test drive before and after. Further more I found out very likely the “hands-on” tech did not talk to the “road test” tech because the service advisor told me the “road test” tech was on vacation when I took it back.

Second Problem – Messed up interior trims

I notice the interior trims are messed up due to the 1st attempted fix. Originally I told the “road test” tech the noise is from the windshield mirror but he thought it is from the dash. So the “hands-on” tech removed the dash trims and put insulator to ease the noise. Obviously, the hands-on tech fixed the wrong place and he did not test drive before and after. Furthermore, he left screwdriver marks on the edge of the plastic trims, scratch on the window buttons console, the front wood trim don’t level with the surface, big gaps betweens panels and I can see the insulator tape sticks outside of the gaps. I will post some pics. I complained to the SA and he said he will have the leather guy to check out the next time. So I made another appointment for the noise and interior problem.

Third Problem - Passenger side rear door upper hinge/joint welding peel

I didn’t take the car in for the 2nd appointment (yesterday) because I didn’t hear the noise for the last few days before the appointment. I was hoping the noise problem disappeared and I don’t want to fix the interior because I know the tech will do more damage (use screwdriver to pile the wood trim again).

Unfortunately I heard the noise again last night and I found another problem when washing the car. The passenger side rear door between the upper hinge/joint and the chassis, the welding is peeling off so only two screws are holding the upper hinge from the chassis. This is dangerous, if the upper hinge may break apart from the chassis, the door may come off.

So finally I took it back to dealer today, hopefully they can fix all three problems.

I think I am the only unlucky one GX owner. Can anyone here share the Lemon (Law) experience?

Sorry to hear about your experience. If I were you, I would demand to speak with a Service Manager. Explain, in detail, your experience with their service dept. and the existing problems w/ your vehicle. If they dont accommadate you in anyway, which i highly doubt, call/write to higher managment and also consider contacting Lexus corporate (customer service). From my perspective, if I spend $40K plus, I naturally build high expectations of the product and obviously the SERVICE being provided. Hopefully, Lexus will attempt to exceed your expectations rather than continue to take away. Furthermore, I have been extremely satisfied w/ Lexus service and I think more people can testify to that. Hope this helps. Please update us.