Anyone Try 245/55r16

mike229

A salesman at Tire Rack tried to get me to buy 245/55R16 for my 00 LS in 2003 but I stayed with the standard 225/60R16. I've bought a lot of tires from Tire Rack over the past 15 or so years and I would have thought that the salesman knew that the wider tires would fit. Of course, he was probably going to make a lot more money from me if I had bought the much more expensive wider tires.

I did something similar in the early 90's on my first LS. I used 225/60R15 instead of the OEM 205/65R15. Braking felt far better with the wider tires and the car felt more stable on at highways speeds. But the increased ride harshness was not fun (my wife hated it) and I thought the "breakaway" was less predictable when driving at the limit on curves.

I suspect that the 245's would ride a lot rougher and doubt that the slight improvement in handling or braking would be worth it. 245/55's are however within the tire width range that the 7 inch wide LS wheel can handle.

A rare tire size but same diameter as stock 225/60/16 so the speedo will be 100% accurate

245/55R16

Anyone try these or know if they will be too wide for the rim or for the wheel well?

I don't see any choices available on tirerack in that size mike :blink: I think you best bet might be to stick with the stock size. ;)

:cheers:

Actually you are right - tire rack does not carry then - only a few tire companies even make that size. But there are a few choices in that size available to order locally and out on the web

I kind of like the wider tire road feel and they look way better too, but honestly, I think the handling and braking will outweight any harshness. The LS rides so smooth to begin with I cant imagine a wider tire making it that much worse...

My only concern is that they would fit which it sounds like they will - thanks for the responses - any more responses are welcome!! :cheers:

Trust me on this one Mike - the ride could be a substantially harsher with the 245's. 245's will be substantially wider and the tires will be effected simply because the contact patch will be much bigger. And the tire/wheel unit will be way heavier too. You might want to do some research on how increasing "unsprung weight" affects handling. If you do go with 245's, keep the pressure to the minimum to help the ride quality. I was really surprised how going from 205's to 225's in my first LS made the ride so rough and I soon went back to the 205's.

Tire Rack used to have a good selection of 245/55R16 but the selection may be drying up since fewer cars use 225/60R16's these days.

Let us know how the 245's work out. Heck I might want to change my mind and give it a try!

Trust me on this one Mike - the ride could be a substantially harsher with the 245's.  245's will be substantially wider and the tires will be effected simply because the contact patch will be much bigger.  And the tire/wheel unit will be way heavier too.  You might want to do some research on how increasing "unsprung weight" affects handling.  If you do go with 245's, keep the pressure to the minimum to help the ride quality.  I was really surprised how going from 205's to 225's in my first LS made the ride so rough and I soon went back to the 205's.

Tire Rack used to have a good selection of 245/55R16 but the selection may be drying up since fewer cars use 225/60R16's these days.

Let us know how the 245's work out.  Heck I might want to change my mind and give it a try!

Agreed, all the more reason to keep your existing size. B)

:cheers: