Desperate 1st Timer For Advice On A 96 Es!

:( Here goes: had the car for < 1 year. It has been very well maintained with fluids, new tires brakes etc. about a month ago, after the oil light coming on, took it in to one of those 30-min oil change places who replaced filter & changed oil. They said that it was "sludged" which usually happens from NOT changing the oil (but I had had it changed 2500 miles prior) they fixed me up and a week or so later I noticed smoke coming out of my muffler, I ckecked the oil and it was LOW so I've been putting oil in it to prevent it from smoking.

Talked to a guy who specializes in Lexus repairs on the phone & he tells me the engine needs to be replaced???????

He also said that this is due to the fact that Lexus used to tell people they only had to chage thier oil every 6-8K miles and this caused major long-term engine issues?

Any of you trustworthy experts have any advice for a female that doesn't want to get taken for a ride?

where are you located?

the sludged issue was wth 97 and newer engines

try a good engine flush and fuel treatment to clean up as much as possible from the engine

and use synthetic fluids and you may be ok as it will start to loosen up some deposits

Hi. I am located in North Carolina also. What part are you from. I recently purchased a '96 ES300 and mine is doing the same thing. I had the valve covers and oil pan removed and cleaned as good as possible. It helped some but still does it some. Not as bad. I next will be having new valve stem seals replaced and try that. I too am trying not to have a new engine put in. I have changed the oil a couple of times already and used some additives and this helps alot. Let me know if you find anything else that works. Thanks

It ran about $500 for labor, gaskets,and everything. I think it will be about $800-1000 for the valve seals because the heads have to be removed. I still believe it will fix mine and save the cost of a new engine. I live in Asheville and the nearest Lexus dealership is Greenville, SC and they are expensive. I have used a local mechanic that is a friend of mine and very good. But he still doesn't cut me that good of a break. But some is better than nothing.

yeh where is a good place to take a lexus in the asheville area?

i need to find a place up there for when i go back to school.

recommendations?

in the triangle i take my car to Wasp Auto in Durham. My family has been taking toyotas to them since 1988 ( or maybe a bit later i cannot remember). I do not know about the Raleigh area, i need to find one in Cary for myself. (lots of moving planned)

I use Domestic Auto in Clyde, NC which is just outside Asheville. About 10 min away. But there is a place I have done Toyota business with also called Mostly Toyotas and it is in Asheville too. And the Toyota Dealer does excellent maintenance but expensive for repairs. If you need anymore info, let me know.