Whining Noise During Acceleration

Jangell

I have a 2000 LX 470 with about 45,000 miles on it...

Recently, I noticced that during acceleration I am hearing a whining noise coming from the front of the car (Sounds like the engine/trans area)

The noise gets a bit louder as the car increases in speed, but stops during coasting...Only hear it when accelerating.

Any ideas?

Recently, I noticced that during acceleration I am hearing a whining noise coming from the front of the car (Sounds like the engine/trans area)

The noise gets a bit louder as the car increases in speed, but stops during coasting...Only hear it when accelerating.

Any ideas?

It could be the compressor. Try turning the A/C off, if the noise is still there then it's no that. That's my first guess.

Any ideas?

It could be the compressor. Try turning the A/C off, if the noise is still there then it's no that. That's my first guess.

Tried it with the AC off...Noise is still present.

Ok, are you sure the CDL is off? If you are not sure what that is, it's the center differential lock and it should not be engaged. It should only be used offroad on dirt or loose gravel and when traveling very slow.

Ok, are you sure the CDL is off? If you are not sure what that is, it's the center differential lock and it should not be engaged. It should only be used offroad on dirt or loose gravel and when traveling very slow.

This might b stupid...but how do I make sure this is not on/engaged?

This is rather interesting.....I have a 04 lx470, 21k miles, and i have the same problem...began about 2 weeks ago. Same exact description. I thought it was radio interference...but still occurs with radio off.

I look forward to everyones replies.

This might b stupid...but how do I make sure this is not on/engaged?

The CDL switch is located to the left of the climate controls. It looks like the wheels, two axles and drive shafts. If it's engaged, you would see a matching light on the bottom of your instrument panel. The CDL locks the transfer case and sends equal power to front differential and the rear differential.

• 1 month later...

:cries:

I have an '03 LX470 with 26G miles....AND THE SAME PROBLEM!!!! This began a couple of weeks ago and I thought, for sure, the engine or transmission was 'going' and I would end up stranded. I called my Service Writer and had the car flatbedded to the dealer. They kept the truck for 3 days and told me that they don't hear the whine.

To me, it sounds like a wind tunnel...mostly from a standstill and at low speeds. I know that this is a new 'sound' and that the truck is just is different.

I have an appointment tomorrow morning for the Service Manager to ride with me...but, I'm guessing they will tell me that it is 'normal'. I'm going to insist on driving another truck and see where that goes.

At least I know I'm not alone with this problem! If you'd like an update, post a reply or email me.

• 3 years later...