Should The 400h Have Its Own Subforum?

Should the 400h have its own subforum?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Should the 400h have its own subforum?

• Yes
    • No

msr- And I think it will grow stronger with its own forum.

Its not like we're cutting non 400h owners out of the 400h forum, you can still read and post in there just like you can in any other forum.

If you like reading about both, you can certainly surf through both forums.

If you prefer to read exclusively about the one vehicle you own, the RX3** or the RX4** you can breeze through a separate forum quite quickly on your lunch break or during your morning coffee without having to sort through all the other posts.

True, both vehicles share many (not all) body parts and interior features, but under the hood, under the rear seat, and under the car itself the two are night and day. Technically, the RX400h is more similar to the GS hybrid and the Prius than the RX300.

Dear Management Team (and other Powers That Be concerning this issue):

Here's my last ditch effort to influence your decision, even though the vote count thus far is clearly in favor of division, please note that only 37 people voted (meaning most people simply don't care). I venture to say that the audience (based on thread traffic) of the current subforum (300/330/400h) is respectable but not huge, and certainly not so large that splitting is a practical necessity. So what's broken that needs fixing ? I submit to you that further subbing would only decrease readership and participation of all threads (it's only logical), albeit admittedly the discussion would probably be more to the point.

There was an argument that even with a separate forum for the 400h, people who want to browse both 300/330 and 400h topics can still do so. My counter argument is that many if not most folks who are here are casual surfers/users who may not make that extra click (if you allow me to play amateur phycologist here, it does take a concious decision to make that extra click, and if you don't have a specific reason to browse there, you're just as likely to skip it). The point is that there is much to lose but not much to gain from such a split.

Now why am I so concern ? Because I want to see this forum do well and I'm convinced creating a subforum would NOT better serve the community.

What I'm concerned about in splitting is the effect on discussions about things that are common across the RX series. For instance, the problem of the rear hatch being too high in some garages. Once the split is done, does one post it in both forums to get the benefit of the expertise in both groups? Even if one posts in both groups, the discussion potentially becomes fragmented with some people not seeing the useful comments of others in the other forum.

Then maybe like some others have mentioned a subforum for hybrid discussions would serve better.

I'm convinced that SOME sort of a change is neccisary.

I like hearing the RX400 stories in this Forum along with the 330 and 300's. The RX400 trials and tribulations, and the successes, are part of the spirit of the RX line, I think. My 2 cents.

I like hearing the RX400 stories in this Forum along with the 330 and 300's.  The RX400 trials and tribulations, and the successes, are part of the spirit of the RX line, I think.  My 2 cents.

One thing that might make things really easy is to just post either in the subject line or the little description line below which model the post refers to. I've noticed several folks doing that and it's helpful if you are looking for specific information rather than just browsing.

I would vote for keeping it one forum if the 300/330 owners don't mind having us around.

the only reason why, personally, there should be sub-forums is that if there's specific questions about a particular model, it would be a lot easier to search the answer if every car had their own sub-forum. then general talk can be in the general forum (i.e. RX300/RX330/RX400h, with sub-forums for RX300, RX330, and RX400h.).

that's my two cents :whistles:

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking about this, and we've resisted doing model or generation specific subforums for a long time, and I believe rightfully so, but I think we may need an RX400h subforum.

I most definitely think that the RX400h should be in a separate forum and not in a sub-forum. As a new RX400h owner reviewing the "combined" forum trying to glean messages for MY car, I was overwhelmed by messages regarding other cars which are very different in terms of the power system and some other features.

It would help greatly to be able to read a specific forum for the RX400h.

If I need info on a feature such as Navigation which is pertinent to many Lexus models, I can look at the topic in another Forum.

If you consider that the RX400h is a recent model with a new technology and that there is a significant amount of messages already posted regarding it, it would seem likely that this topic will be increasingly of interest to specific owners so there is a need for a separate forum. We have entered a new time period for a different car and the interest in hybrid technology will only increase. The next Lexus model with a hybrid power system should also be in the hybrid Forum because there are many similarities.

I've been thinking about this, and we've resisted doing model or generation specific subforums for a long time, and I believe rightfully so, but I think we may need an RX400h subforum.

The 400h is really an entirely different vehicle that attracts am entirely different buyer, and I know from experience on the Prius boards "hybrid people" talk about different things than normal car people. Things like gas mileage comparisons, in deopth discussions of the technology and algorythms and such. Kevin K was way off base with his attack and I've punished him for it but he may have had a point. They ARE very different.

So what do you guys think? Reply to the poll and use this thread to discuss it. It would be a subforum of this forum so people would click the "RX300/RX330/RX400h" forum tab then see "RX400h Discussion" as the first link at the top of the page.

[quote=SW03ES

Different Forum....>>>>

I am frustrated trying to find specific info on the RX 400h. Here is a copy of a message I just sent to Mathew... an administrator for the ownersclub...

could you help me search more efficiently? The topic list is extremely long and will get longer quickly. I think that in a very short time, the Forum/subforum list for specific 400h info will be unmanagable.

Hi.

First of all, thank you for all your efforts in our behalf.

I am spending a great deal of time trying to find info specifically for the RX 400h. this is more of a problem in the Lexus Forum site than in any other similar web site.

I just registered and in the beginning, I could not find a forum for the 400h. I thought, perhaps, it was because the car was new... but, then, I went through each of the forums and found it listed with other cars ... it was difficult to find the 400h so I almost decided to stay with the other Forums which were easier to use.

I replied regarding a question if a new separate Forum for the 400h should be made... YES !

I was informed that I had voted already but, aside from my opinion in a message, I have not officially gone through a voting submission. I did; however, see the poll results. Is there a problem with the poll voting protocol?

I know that if I scroll through a large number of threads, I can find a topic but that takes time. this is a cumbersome procedure.

Is there any way to only retrieve thread messages posted after a certain date? It would help immensely if I could search for messages, new topics and specific topics which have been posted after the last date I reviewed them.

I am very happy with the 400h SUV and would like to review and reply to messages in a more efficient manner.

<<<Is there any way to only retrieve thread messages posted after a certain date? It would help immensely if I could search for messages, new topics and specific topics which have been posted after the last date I reviewed them.>>>>

Here is a reply from Mathew re: searching for messages:

The "Member Bar" - near the top, in the right hand corner has several tools that can help.

You can click on "My Controls" - and you will be shown the last five topics you posted / read.

You can also click on your own name - and find all the threads and posts you have ever made.

You can click on "Search" - and find threads on any keywords you choose.

You can also subscribe to a thread or topic - and be sent emails when new posts or topics are created.

<<<Is there any way to only retrieve thread messages posted after a certain date?  It would help immensely if I could search for messages, new topics and specific topics which have been posted after the last date I reviewed them.>>>>

Here is a reply from Mathew re: searching for messages:

The "Member Bar" - near the top, in the right hand corner has several tools that can help.

You can click on "My Controls" - and you will be shown the last five topics you posted / read.

You can also click on your own name - and find all the threads and posts you have ever made.

You can click on "Search" - and find threads on any keywords you choose.

You can also subscribe to a thread or topic - and be sent emails when new posts or topics are created.

Understood. This forum is the most flexible of the 3 that I've found, to be sure.

But, does this mean that there will be no change in the subfourm organization, in spite of the poll results?

Just curious.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 14 years later...

Yes, because the topology is different. 

The power to the rear axle is different. 

There is no center differential. 

Modifications are different. 

Owners primary rational is different.

And maintenance is different ...