'04 Rx330 For '05 Gx470

Jetstream

After 22,000 miles, have decided that our '04 RX330 has to go.

Transmission is unaceptable. *See RX330 Forum.* Drive by wire and lack of torque cause confusing downshifts. Smells a hill and downshifts.

Daily driver for wife, who is also unhappy with performance and quirks. It's also used on "long trips."

GX470 seems to be a compromise.

1 - Anyone have a GX without fold up rear seats?

2 - How is it without rear A/C?

3 - How slow must you go to get 20 MPH?

4 - What kind of MPG at high speeds? - (75-90 "This is the West")

5 - Should $10,000 to $15,000 and RX pull off the deal?

6 - Feedback welcomed!! - ............ - Jetstream - Eugene, Oregon

Hi Jet,

Been driving my '05 Blizzard Pearl for about 3 weeks now and lovin' it...

1. Here in the Northeast you cannot order one w/o rear seats, I was told that this was also 'nationwide" policy as well by salesperson,

2. N/A

3.  ???  20mph = 20mph

4. sorry still in "break-in" period, MINE not LEXUS as there is no "official LEXUS" break-in that I know of...

5. Should be doable without DVD RES, Mark Levinson, and NAV

Good luck to you!  FWIW, I had a loaner RX (dealer/service left smudges on leather and scratched bumper) and there are a few things I liked on the RX that wasn't available on GX...

1. Lighted LOGO on door sills

2. Remote read door (motorized open/close) lift gate

3. HID (Got afternarket HID kit from Xenondepot.com, installed, just a good as factory!!!)

4. HID washer - The little jet that comes up and squits washer fluid onto headlights...

These four items were just "fun" to have, only NUMBER 3 was a necessity for me!  :D

Transmission is unaceptable. *See RX330 Forum.* Drive by wire and lack of torque cause confusing downshifts. Smells a hill and downshifts.

Daily driver for wife, who is also unhappy with performance and quirks. It's also used on "long trips."

I don't have a third seat. w/o rear A/C is not bad. I don't get what u mean on 3. I get roughly the sticker MPG on the highway. i'll post more info when i get back from LA today or tomorrow. ;)

Thanks for your comments.

Have gotten used to HID lights, and Power Lift Gate.

This RX is still a dog and is being resented.

Will check out a "05 GX470.

ok. i'm back now. Now we can't compare apples to oranges here. The GX is a "rugged" Luxury Utility Vehicle based on a truck. now the RX330 is based on the Camry. Rx330 gets a better mpg than our GX, and is a lot handier for in-town use (really handy using those loaners). there are a lot of neat features the RX has but the GX doesn't . i.e. lighted Lexus trim on the door. auto rear door (GX has side openning door). DRL on the RX is still the biight light's lamp, GX is the signal light(which means that the chances of it busting out is higher, and I already had both of them bust out once!). There's many more to name.

main reason i got the GX, didn't like the design of the 330 that much (no offense) and I wanted something new that will "turn heads"! lol :whistles: :D

Edited by denslexusgx470

Den - I assume that you went over the Grapevine from Fresno to L.A.

Did the extra power in The GX make a big difference?

If you had an RX and a GX in your stable, which one would you take on that trip?

Thanks. - Jetstream - Eugene, Oregon

Den - I assume that you went over the Grapevine from Fresno to L.A.

Did the extra power in The GX make a big difference?

If you had an RX and a GX in your stable, which one would you take on that trip?

Thanks. - Jetstream -  Eugene, Oregon

yup, good old grapevine!! :P

ok. back to topic. If i did have both RX and GX, it wouldn't make a difference on which one i should bring. It all depends if i have a lot of luggage, then it's the GX. If it's a travel lite trip, I'd use an RX (especially now that the gas prices are so freaking high! :censored: ) .

Power, is about the same between my RX300 and my GX470. About the same power with the 330 also (when i used the loaner). The Gx is a lot heavier, so the higher torque compensated that resulting in the same 0-60mph stats between the two. I do like the 5-speed instead of the 4 speed of my RX300. Although, after trying at least 10 loaner RX330s, I think the RX330 is a little bit sluggish at times. But hey, if you've never tried Lexus before, I'd be happy with an RX!

Another reason why I'd take an RX to a trip (just found out after I got my GX).

1. RX is more handy in big cities, especially if the place is crowded.

2. It's harder to stop the GX, considering that the GX is obviously larger and heavier, which means more pads over the long run(my 30k check-up i just had the other day told me that it's almost time for new pads <_< ).

But my only con about my RX300:

1. Eats up more tire thread than the GX??? (well maybe because I originally had Goodyear Integritys on the RX).

I had to change the tires of the RX at 25k (because it was more than half done). But unlike my GX, I already have 30k on it, and my service rep told me I still have 10/11 left (but the reason could be that I got Michelin Cross Terrains on it originally) !!!!

Edited by denslexusgx470

I took my 04 GX on a 4,000 trip to phoenix and back from Wisconsin. My average for the whole thing, including a couple hundred city miles driving around in phoenix, was 18.0.

• 3 weeks later...

I just traded my 2005 RX for a GX. It has the third row seats, which I wanted. I'm averaging 16.5MPG in a city/highway mix right now at only 2,000 Miles. While I liked the adaptive HID headlights of the RX, the GX headlights work well, and the high-beams are fantastic. I also liked the little touches in the RX that are lacking in the GX, including the lighted Lexus logos on the door sills and the power rear door. However, I am much happier with my GX470 overall. The room behind the second row is much more usable and I've come to like the side opening rear door. Also, the lighted running boards make it easier for my children, 5 and 6, to get in and out. The ride is good and the new 270hp V-8 runs great. My only problem now is that my wife is starting to talk about the GX becoming her daily driver...

- Anyone have a GX without fold up rear seats?

k on #3 i think he ment MPG not MPH, n e ways i have a GX

1- r u talkin bout rear A/C as in the 2nd / 3rd row cuz the 2nd AC is awsome. the one thing my kids love about the rear ac is its adaptive. you set at a level and it will adjust it self. its the same thing as the front except its not digital

3- well i really redline the car sometimes and it can be prertty fast but the engine is extremely powerful. acceleration is slow at high speeds. like if i do 5 RPM to go from 75-90m takes a while for the speedometer to climb. but its still pretty fast