Planing On Buying Sc300 1998....need Advice!

Aight.... so I work at a premium hat store.... i have all these high profile customers come in...juvenile, skin, whacko, kate hudson, jude law... and who not!... anyways the point is rich people come in there... and this man comes in dressed in hugo pants and shirt and *BLEEP*... and was driving the big !Removed! Lexus SUV wateva its called!.... newayz I started talkin to him and apparently he wants to sell his '98 red sc 300 with 90K miles on it.... and he said around 4000-4500$.!! I WAS SURPIRSED NOW IM THINKING HE'Z SO RICH AND DOESNT CARE ABOUT HOW MUCH HE GETS FOR IT.... or hezz just stupid and blurted out the price without knowing how much he can get for it.... but he is coming in to show me the car tomorrow.... so what should I look for...what are some of the problems this car has!... PLEASE NEED HELP!!...i hope this deal worksout!!

That price would be excellent if you got it for that. If you had the VIN# and had a Lexus Dealership next to you can run that # and get a full report for free. Check and see if the timing belt has been replaced and the last service date, 80k is the usual replacement, if that is the case then sweet deal.

carry a magnet with you. look at the car from an angle and look for bumps or swirls. if you see something close to being a bump or swirl put the magnet over it. it should stick (sides only). if it doesnt then it has been in an accident.

drive the car and take it on a straight road. keep going straight and let go of the wheel (obviosly make sure youre not in traffic). if it veers off to the side then either your alignment is off or there is frame damage.(check for air pressure too before you do this)

open the hood and run the engine. listen for an exhaust leak.

make sure to run the vin# if possible. but vin#'s dont always show you everything

and make sure it just plain runs right.

Aight.... so I work at a premium hat store.... i have all these high profile customers come in...juvenile, skin, whacko, kate hudson, jude law... and  who not!... anyways the point is rich people come in there... and this man comes in dressed in hugo pants and shirt and *BLEEP*... and was driving the big !Removed! Lexus SUV wateva its called!.... newayz I started talkin to him and apparently he wants to sell his '98 red sc 300 with 90K miles on it.... and he said around 4000-4500$.!! I WAS SURPIRSED NOW IM THINKING HE'Z SO RICH AND DOESNT CARE ABOUT HOW MUCH HE GETS FOR IT.... or hezz just stupid and blurted out the price without knowing how much he can get for it.... but he is coming in to show me the car tomorrow.... so what should I look for...what are some of the problems this car has!... PLEASE NEED HELP!!...i hope this deal worksout!!

It sounds too good to be true. I know that i would never give out a price for a car if i didn't know how much i could get for it. I NEVER do that. "The rich stay rich by buying cheap" There's something wrong with it. There must be. I always try to get the best deal for something. Even if i am rich B) LOL

hi I purchased from private party a 1998 sc300 with 48000 mi for $13500 a couple of months ago, so your deal looks unbelievablygood .Do what others suggest prior to purchase and figure on spending some bucks on repairs.

First off after purchase change all fluids tranny,diffrential, power steering, brake,coolant and oil.

Good luck

Scott

Just use CarFax. Cheap and thorough. I almost bought a 540 with a six speed manual, for a ridiculous price. When I ran the Carfax (after having multiple conversations with the owner, who had a really good "story" that was believable), it showed the car had been totalled and then restored. No thanks.

Believe me, you can take your magnet and drive the straight road and listen to the engine, blah blah, but the best $20 you will ever spend could be for a CarFax report. I know, they may not report it and fix it themselves, but if it was in a major accident, odds are it was filed.