Smoked In!

Ribbler

I thought I'd found the deal of the century today. Perhaps I did. You tell me. Its a 1996 LS400 with 54K miles on it for $12,000. One owner, pearl white in beautiful shape. I get to the owner's place and after two seconds inside I realize this thing has been smoked in - not just a few cancer sticks (no offense to any smokers here - it just messes with my allergies in a bad way) here or there but heavy chain smoking. Its been cleaned up but wow!!

How do the rest of you look on a vehicle that's been smoked it? Doesn't it generally decrease its value? Perhaps there's an effective way I can get the smoke smell out without having to replace the seats etc. What do you think?

friend of mine had the same problem. he cleaned the seats with leather cleaner, cleaned the windows really well, sprinkled the carpet with carpet freshner, and left the windows down a lot. after a few weeks, you could not smell the smoke. he also used canned air frehners. :)

I thought I'd found the deal of the century today. Perhaps I did. You tell me. Its a 1996 LS400 with 54K miles on it for $12,000. One owner, pearl white in beautiful shape. I get to the owner's place and after two seconds inside I realize this thing has been smoked in - not just a few cancer sticks (no offense to any smokers here - it just messes with my allergies in a bad way) here or there but heavy chain smoking. Its been cleaned up but wow!!

How do the rest of you look on a vehicle that's been smoked it? Doesn't it generally decrease its value? Perhaps there's an effective way I can get the smoke smell out without having to replace the seats etc. What do you think?

Well I'm a smoker & it dosen't mean anything to me personally........re-shampoo the interior & use a real good leather conditioner. Open the windows & moonroof over night if it's parked in a garage away from prying eyes & use a good dose of Fabreeze auto to spray inside. Look at it this way, at least it wasen't a pipe or cigars! ;) B)

:cheers:

I ran into the same problem a few years ago with a Porsche

I used leather cleaner on all leather and plastic upholstery.

(I'll look for the exact product, but I think it was Maguier's)

Followed that with leather conditioner.

I shampoo'd all the rugs thoroughly and cleaned all the hard

bits (metal and plastic) with soapy water, then Armor-all'd the

plastic.

I then left the windows open whenever possible for a few weeks.

It took a while, but the car ended up smelling fine.

I didn't use air fresheners, as my wife is allergic to fragrances.

Good luck, it can be done.

steamclean all the fabric parts of the enterior and clean the leather with the cleaner and softener. this should do it. also put few air fresheners in the car. i never heard of smokin in the car decreasing the value, i think its a matter of personal prefrence

see the local dealer , many have a smoke machine, basically a de-ionizer, Also take fabric softener sheets and stick them all over the car. There great at absorbing odors

Smoking in a car, or house, or anything decreases its value tremendously. But one suggestion though, one place people seem to overlook is the headliner!!! You have to clean it well with both fabreez, and that knit roller (does an amazing job of cleaning, pulls the dirt right out).

I still remember the day back in 2000 when my friend bought his 96LS with 58K for 12,800. Best deal of the centery. But if I were you, i'd add a three thousand and get a 98.

Thanks everybody!! I appreciate your help. I'm glad to know that the smoke smell can be overcome.

Lexusfreak, I hope you didn't take offense (I don't think you did). None was intended. The smoke just gets my allergies going. I actually enjoy the smell of cigar smoke even though I've never smoked!

hey ribbler,

have anybody hear of an ozone machine?

i read somewhere that you can rent this machine and let it run overnight in the car and it will eliminate all odors.

see the local dealer , many have a smoke machine, basically a de-ionizer, Also take fabric softener sheets and stick them all over the car. There great at absorbing odors

Smoking in a car, or house, or anything decreases its value tremendously. But one suggestion though, one place people seem to overlook is the headliner!!! You have to clean it well with both fabreez, and that knit roller (does an amazing job of cleaning, pulls the dirt right out).

I still remember the day back in 2000 when my friend bought his 96LS with 58K for 12,800. Best deal of the centery. But if I were you, i'd add a three thousand and get a 98.

If that's the case, just sell the vehicle to a fellow smoker! :lol: :whistles: ;)

I'm with GRAN LS 4, I regret not bumping up my price range. I have a '97 but the '98 has a bit more power and a newer look.

The price isn't bad but there is no way I would buy this car to drive myself. You will never get the smell out. Buy a 98 and get about 40 more horses. 90 to 97's are dogs with the a/c on starting off going up a hill. They are most likely faster at sea level though. I'm going to switch to a 98 some day. The prices are coming down on those. Heck if I wait a couple more years I might get an 01 which is what I really want.

B) First thing, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT apply any pressure AT ALL to the headliner when/if you clean it - that is a very expensive mistake. All headliners are very delicate.

Second, go to Wal-Mart and purchase 6 boxes of "Arm & Hammer" baking soda, follow directions on box, and place them under seats, dash, etc. - 88 cents per box. Odors will dissappear within days. ;)

Thanks guys for the advice. Why do you suggest to get a 98 other than the engine? I don't see many difference when I look at them side by side. I do notice that the head lights are different. What are the other differences?

Thanks guys for the advice. Why do you suggest to get a 98 other than the engine? I don't see many difference when I look at them side by side. I do notice that the head lights are different. What are the other differences?

The list is long, including, newer headlights, braklights, seatsing surfaces, headrests, more sound insulation, 5-speed tranny, VSC, VVT-i, HID's, All auto up/down (my favorite) power windows with pinch protection. One touch moonroof, different wheels, Outer rearview mirror was changed to reduce wind noise, Another rear personal light was added to the rear quarter pillar area, snow mode, a multi-information display was added to the instrument cluster to display vehicle data and warnings, An automatic recirculation system was added to automatically switch the air inlet mode in accordance with the level of concentration of harmful elements in the air, function to operate all windows was added to the door lock remote control, A garage door opener, integrated antana, ASL was added to the sound system, the list continues....

More info here....

http://www.lexls.com/lsgenerations.html

When I used to drive Cadillacs, I took it in for repair (one of many times) and the guy who worked on it smoked in my car.

The dealership used their ozone machine and it completely removed the smell. I was pretty impressed.

Tom

A few weeks ago i was looking at a CPO 02 rx300 and could tell it was smoked in; It wasn't horrible but i could tell. It has that smell no one can miss. Everything was covered in this thin tan color. The windows, the leather, the mats; everything was covered in tar.

I personally can't stand the smell of smoke. Even though someone tried to mask it in the 02 i saw, it was still there and turned me away. My wife is actually allergic to it, so she CAN'T ride in a car that has been smoked in. Even if the smoke itself isn't there, the stench is...

When I used to drive Cadillacs, I took it in for repair (one of many times) and the guy who worked on it smoked in my car.

The dealership used their ozone machine and it completely removed the smell.  I was pretty impressed.

Tom

wow this is exactly what happened to me when i took my rx in to get the moonroof fixed. When i got it back 1 week and a mysterious 107 miles later (LOL) there was a smell of smoke inside. It dissapeared within a week though; i don't know how. Maybe it was just the people who were working on it had smoke on them. It wasn't that bad.

I smoke and can;t stand a car or anywhere that reeks of smoke.

I never use ashtrays it only makes the car stink.

Like eveyone suggested take it to get detailed by a good shop, My guy removes all the seats to steam clean all the carpets.

I did my civic on friday and man what a difference to remove the winter salts stains in my winter beater. I got a little crazy when he took out the seats, so while he cleaned them i poped out the center console ad pulled up the carpet. Wow what a mess the under pads where soaked and roten smelling ( it is 15 years old). I bought new under pad from a carpet store for $5 and dropped it in after cleaning the floor.

Now the car smells cleaner but the previous owner had a dog as well as smoked in thr car,so now it smells a bit like wet dog .I also bought an ionic air purifier for $20 it works good to remove smells but has an odd smell like an operatory. If you hate hospitals then this would not be a good thing to get.

If it smells that bad and looks like there is a lot of nicotine residue I would make sure to have the dealer run the VIN to see if the mileage is correct. Sounds to me like a leased ex sales person car with the odometer rolled back...Just a Hunch <_<

If it smells that bad and looks like there is a lot of nicotine residue I would make sure to have the dealer run the VIN to see if the mileage is correct. Sounds to me like a leased ex sales person car with the odometer rolled back...Just a Hunch <_<

You mean if you see alot of 'smoke residue' in the vehicle (windows, etc) you think the mileage might be tampered with? :blink::wacko:

I wonder what people did 30+ years ago (when most folks actually did smoke)? I wonder if a customer that wanted to trade their car in that did not smoke......if they gave him/her less money on the trade because the car was never smoked in? Compared to today that appears that nobody want's to go near a 'smokers car'. :lol:

Suppose the non smoker had a severe case of constant flatulence!? :blink: :o (a condition some refer to as the trouser coughs!) :ph34r::huh: I don't know about you, but I know what car I'm going to look towards! :lol: ;)

Bottle of Fabreeze & a pine tree air freshener ;) :whistles: :P