Current Fuel Mileage...

B) For everyone that owns a 1997-2001 ES300 (1MZ-FE), just curious as to the fuel mileage that you are currently getting from your car. I am extremely pleased with my 25-27 mpg that mine is providing. It still has the original spark plugs with 120,000+ miles. B)

98 es300, 80% highway, I'm getting 23.5 to 24.5 MPG, so your doing pretty good on old plugs.

The dealer wanted $150 to change the plugs. But I thought, "good mileage, runs good, no money, naaah". I will have them changed this July before I head to Destin on vacation. B)

B) For everyone that owns a 1997-2001 ES300 (1MZ-FE), just curious as to the fuel mileage that you are currently getting from your car.  I am extremely pleased with my 25-27 mpg that mine is providing.  It still has the original spark plugs with 120,000+ miles.  B)

My normal Milage in my 98 is 24 to 25.1mpg (85% back roads at 45 MPH rest is in city). The WEIRD part is that after the Timing belt (along with seals and water pump) was done, I seem to be getting another .5 to 1.0 MPG more.

Just filled up yesterday at $2.18 for super duper, and got 184 miles with 7.363 gallons; which is about 24.92 MPG. Plus had AC on all week.

Highway is anwhere from 28 to 30 mpg.

98 es300, 80% highway, I'm getting 23.5 to 24.5 MPG, so your doing pretty good on old plugs.

The dealer wanted $150 to change the plugs. But I thought, "good mileage, runs good, no money, naaah". I will have them changed this July before I head to Destin on vacation. B)

$150 for plugs! WOW. You can buy then (Denso Iridium plugs) for like $11 each. But it will take about 25 minutes to install the plugs. Did mine at 60K miles. Very easy and did OEM wires and PVC. All for like $95

The front plugs look like an easy install. But the three in the rear - WOW! If you could post a link to your "easy" install, I would appreciate it.

Most of of our driving (80%) is at 55-65 mph. I really enjoy the great mileage @ $ 2.10 gallon here in Tennessee.

My average with about 80% highway is about 25 mpg. I just changed my PCV valve, this should improve gas milage a little.

Ford 212- Have fun in Destin, I've been there many times. You're not too far from me. I go to school in Murfreesboro (i'm from germantown). In regards to spark plugs, I would also like to change mine sometime soon. Honestly, I think I'm just going to pay to have it done. I tried the other day just to see how hard it was to get back there, it's the middle one that i couldn't fit the ratchet back there. VCV10guy posted up a link to a user who explained how to get the the spark plugs. Anyways, good luck. here it is

Hello Folks,

I'm new here to the group, and a great group it is!!!

I've got a 2002 that is getting ready to turn 70,000 miles.

I'm averaging 27.5 MPG and 450 miles to the tank .

I drive 80% on the highway at 65 MPH and 20% city driving usually around 45+.

I got the car used the last week in January this year and couldn't be any happier with the gas milage as I use "High Test" unleaded and paying $2.33 per gallon :cries: here in Southern New Mexico.

Whew!! Great instructions - but I WILL find someone to do it for a reasonable fee. I know what he means by the scratched arms and the wife... :angry:

My luck is when they get replaced, my mileage will probably drop like a rock. :D

Until then, I am going shoppin' on the net to find me some FREE SHIPPING!!!!

A little off topic... sort of... but what is the suggested mileage to change plugs? My owner's manual is a bit ambiguous. It says 60,000 miles, but then it lists the SC and GS in parentheses.... not sure if that means all models except SC and GS, or only SC and GS. My car just turned 60K and I have an appointment for an oil change... might as well have the plugs done too, if needed.

B) For everyone that owns a 1997-2001 ES300 (1MZ-FE), just curious as to the fuel mileage that you are currently getting from your car.  I am extremely pleased with my 25-27 mpg that mine is providing.  It still has the original spark plugs with 120,000+ miles.  B)

My normal Milage in my 98 is 24 to 25.1mpg (85% back roads at 45 MPH rest is in city). The WEIRD part is that after the Timing belt (along with seals and water pump) was done, I seem to be getting another .5 to 1.0 MPG more.

Just filled up yesterday at $2.18 for super duper, and got 184 miles with 7.363 gallons; which is about 24.92 MPG. Plus had AC on all week.

Highway is anwhere from 28 to 30 mpg.

Wow, 2.18 on super is amazing. I get about 24 - 25mpg on my 98 ES, thats without changing anything. Mostly drive highway.

Wow, 2.18 on super is amazing.  I get about 24 - 25mpg on my 98 ES, thats without changing anything. Mostly drive highway.

Yup, it is amzing the city I live in. I can buy 87 for $2.07 to $2.18.

Then if I drive 8 miles down the road I can get 87 for $2.03, 89 for $2.13, 93 for $2.18. The place is PACKED at all times.

I am going to have to talk to my wife, maybe she is driving like a 16 year old. I filled our 2001 es up the other day and it was only like 18mpg. pretty much all city though. Another time recently, I think it was around 24 with a few highway trips. Is it okay to run regular unleaded in these ? With the current gas prices here $2.53 (regular)-2.75 (super) or more, I want to just run regular.

my 02 ES is suggested to have the plugs done at 90k.

I did them at 60k and I am glad I did. I had noticed a very slight drop in mpg (~1 mpg) and there was a very very slight but noticible surging going on. Had them changed at 60k and the mpg has come back up to what i an used to and the surging is gone. I did the front three, and the dealership did the back three.

steviej

man...........i feel bad.......all city driving no heavy footing it crusing around 50 and below , full tank gets me about 240-260......i have a 97 es, spark plugs and air filter changed when i got water pump and timing belt replace and redone about 2 months ago :unsure:

Steviej- That's a great idea. I guess i never thought about doing the front 3 and having the dealer do the back 3. If you don't mind me asking, do you remember how much that cost you???? Thanks.

98 sit down. I will tell you what they told me.

They estimate the plugs to take about 2 hours if they have to remove the plenum. I'm taking a 2002 ES here. Yours may be easier and take less time.

My did take about 2 hours but I did not pay the $99/hour rate......but that is just me. The plugs were $12.50 each. Price was not different than online locations when you include shipping.

steviej

HAAHA... I think i'll have to pass on that one... i might just call anyways and talk to the service technician to see what they say. One member awhile back posted really good instructions on how to get back there without taking the plenum off. Once I get all the tools I need i'm going to try it. Thanks for the help.

HAAHA... I think i'll have to pass on that one... i might just call anyways and talk to the service technician to see what they say. One member awhile back posted really good instructions on how to get back there without taking the plenum off. Once I get all the tools I need i'm going to try it. Thanks for the help.

98es:

I have a 98 and the plugs where easy. Front 3 are a joke (5-minutes). The back three are easy. Just remove the PVC and you can get you arm in there with a swivel ½” drive spark plug socket. I also used a 3” extension. The sides in the back are very easy and the middle plug should take about 6 minutes to do.

BACK- I went in from the driver side for that side and the pass side for that side. The middle one I went in on the driver side. It is easy, I would just try it. Save some $$$ for some of “the Goose”, grey goose that is! J