A/c Compressor

RFeldes

I have been following the guide to replace the A/C Clutch. I have the plate off but I cant get the pulley (Hub or whatever it is called) off. I see the slip ring but cant get that off. What tool would I use to get this off. Is there a better guide with better photos?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a better guide with better photos?

weazel8, is the AC0947 diagram on page AC-28 of the coolings.pdf file in post #19, what you're refering to? I did a google search on the Special Service Tool number and came up empty. Wouldn't any straight-ended slip ring expander tool work?

btw, thanks for bumping this thead. I need to follow-up on what I finally did.

I bought the compressor from Techchoice in Texas, current cost, $275, receiver/dryer $24. I mentioned I was going to convet to R134 so he included a bottle of PAG oil and O-ring kit. With shipping, my cost was $314.

This past Saturday, I had a friend help me who works on building air compressors ans knows a thing or two about cars. We got the car jacked up but couldn't remove the upper-rear bolt of the compressor. He started to round off the head and threw in the towel for fear of risking me more dollars if it rounded off all the way. He was planning to use nitrogen gas to evac the system btw. I'm giving the guy $50 for trying and he did replace the receiver/dryer and some O-rings.

So I took it to a shop on Monday, $120 to replace, $50 to evac/regharge, $124.88 for 2.5 lbs freon. I decided to stay with R12 so it cost me a little more than I initally planned. But they said I saved in the end due to them having (or wanting) to disconnect everything to flush.

My total out of pocket expense was $677.88, not bad.

However, while the air is blowing cold, I notice that the some of the vents are blowing warm air. The far left one mostly, left center somewhat. If I close the far left one, then the centers blow colder. Off to search the forum on that, I recall seing some threads discussing it.

Another thing, the alternator is suspect, because in the past, I had battery problems when it got hot. Last summer no problems due to the AC not working. Now that I have AC, less than 24 hours later and nominal driving (in 110F heat). The battery doesn't appear to be charging. I have the battery out right now charging so we'll see. The alternator must not be charging the battery due to the added load of the AC and hot temperatures.

With my front wheel vibrations (another thread), my wife says this thing is starting to become a money pit. But then again, we didn't pay to much for it 2 years ago.

Wish me luck.

I went and got a slip ring set and it worked. I got everything off and am putting it all back together now. The problem I am running into is the Hub (The part that has the pulley) I cant get that back on. I went and rented a tool, an AC clutch hub installer, but I have no idea how to use it. It seems like it should have come with some sort of screw that I screw into the compressor shaft or something. Anyone know of any spots where there are good instructions on how to use this tool, or any ideas.