1999 Rx300 Trailer Hitch Questions?

rhack1

Hi...i just bought a 1999 white rx300 and am looking to put a hitch on it?...heard the lexus hitch is very overpriced...found an internet deal of a new hitch wiring kit and a used hitch (good condition) for $200...is this a good deal...is this hitch worth it versus any other kind (hidden hitch, draw-tite, etc)...does anyone know or have pdfs of the install instructions?...thx...Rob

Main concern on aftermarket or used hitches on 99 to 01 RX300 is the wiring harnessess. Lexus has changed the ones on 99 to 01 4 times that I have counted in my :ph34r: lexus guy parts bible and the last change did not work on 01-02 models and they had to do something else for those. best bet is go to the dealer (hopefulley get a nice knoledgeable parts person) and have him show you the latest greatest for the retro fit to your 1999 if there no help or not nice email me and Ill give you part numbers for the latest on your year so you can go to dealership empowered with the number so they show you correct one. Once you look at that you will have a better accesment of what an aftermarket one should look like and the tow reciver is basically a piece of steel not much diff. between draw tite and factory. Hope that helps :ph34r: L:exus guy

what is the latest electrical harness kit for a 1999...what problems existed with previous versions...have a deal for $220 with a guy from ebay (on the side) for a lexus hitch and a new harness kit...thx...Rob

thx for the info...the wiring harness the guy has is 08921-48050....any idea what the issue may be with this one versus the 08921-48051?....i don't want to push it with my local lexus guy who doesn't appear to know...was told the 48050 works with a 1999...i REALLY appreciate your knowledge and help...also, do you have a pdf or something with the install instructions for the lexus hitch?...thx...Rob

Just recieved e-mail from another rx300 owner that there is a number for a draw tite harness on etrailer that is super cheap and works really well so i personally would go that route with an aftermarket hitch piece :ph34r: Lexus guy

thx...but i now own the lexus wiring harness part # 08921-48050, not the 08921-48051...any idea of the reason for the update...can't seem to find a tsb on it or anything...will check out draw-tite one too...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I agree, the class III Draw Tite hitch went on easily. But I don't seem to have a trailer harness connector under the vehicle. I've removed the protective plastic box and followed a harness back into the left rear compartment (inside the vehicle) where there's an 8-pin orange connector with a cap on it, but it doesn't fit the harness I got from Draw Tite. Does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for a 1999 RX300?

If you don't have a pre wired vehicle, then you are going to have to buy the Lexus/Toyota wiring harness. It's fairly expensive, about $170 and it takes about an hour to install. I just helped a friend do his RX300 and it's mostly tedious stuff like removing a lot of the stuff in the hatch to get to the wiring connections that need to be made.

The wiring harness fits perfectly and has a brain that needs to be mounted near the spare tire. The instructions that come with the harness are very detailed so you won't have any problems at all. Also, for $25/year you can sign up for alldata and get all of the information you need on your vehicle.

Good luck.

JP

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I AM SHOWING THAT OG NUMBER PT207-48980 N/A BUT I BELIEVE THE REPLACEMENT 08921-48051 WIRE HARNESS ASSY WITH BIG CONVERTOR BOX LIST IS 162.65 SORRY FOR TAKING SO LONG WITH REPLY :ph34r: LEXUS GUY

Any hints on how to install 82670-48050 I need to add this to my RX330 for my trailer lights

Thanks

Ron