Need Advice Guys. Buy Or Not To Buy ?

Zdeno

Hi Guys. I sold my 91 LS400 month ago and i cant live without lexus, so I have to buy other one. I just want to ask you guy what to expect from 1997 ES300 with 128K miles in great condition. Still thinking about that if the $7500 is good or not and if I´ll have to put some more monney to the car now. Could you guys please let me know what do you think about ? Thank you !!!

Hmm... I checked KBB.com (I used a random So Cal zip code) and for a good condition ES it costs roughly $8500 w/128k on the clock. If you're dead set on an ES, I'd go for it and make sure the owner has all of the service records (which were done on a timely manner). That's important because the ES engine had an oil sludge problem (check it out in the ES forum). Watch out for the valve cover gaskets considering the car has 128k on it (unless it was replaced sometime in it's lifetime). Check the engine mounts to make sure they're not worn out or about to go (particular the front and dogbone/torque mount). Oh ya like any other car check the suspension for any sounds, in the ES in particular listen for any clunk sounds in the front and/or rear as that may be a sign that the strut mounts are worn out. Those are the trouble spots I can think of right now on the ES in general. Good luck!

Thank you !! This this I did on my 91 LS when I bought it and dont want to it again. IT was 160K on the clock and after 5 K I had to replace all for struts, motor + trany mount, AC comressor, tune up and it wasnt cheap so I´m scare about that. I´ll have to check it everything so close.

Ah I see. Ya what I told you shouldn't be anything new to you (except the engine sludge issue, unless you keep tabs on the ES forum too). Oh ya if the valve cover gaskets are or were leaking, make sure the PCV valve is replaced or was replaced when the valve cover gaskets were done. Since it's at 128k, I hope the owner did the 120k (60k) service on it.

I just talked to the owner and he said that the valve cover gaskets or PCV valve are not replaced replaced. He sadi that he had no problems with the car co it means it is still oroginal.

Can you go for a 98 or 99 instead? The 97 is technically the first year issue of the upgraded styling. If your heart is set, I agree with others comments, make totally sure you have all maintenance & service history up to date before you buy. Keep us posted & good luck! B)

:cheers:

Hmm... 128k on the originally PCV valve isn't good. It should have been replaced 68k miles ago (or at least inspected and cleaned). I'd have the valve cover gaskets inspected just in case since the pcv valve wasn't replaced at all. Ya as for the timing belt, should have just done the water pump as a preventative maintenance. As to where the PCV valve is, it's located near the throttle body on the passenger of the car. It looks like an upside down "L" with the top white in color and a small hose attached to it. I'll see if I can "borrow" someone's picture on the forum and show you exactly where it's located as well as where the valve cover gaskets are located. Did you ask if he did the 60k service recently? It should have been done at 120k. If he didn't do it, I'd probably try to negotiate the price down more or find another vehicle because that service is about a $1k at a Lexus dealership ($500 or less at an indie).

Here's a link I took a post a few days ago by another member showing where the PCV valve is on the 1MZ-FE engine. pcv valve location Look at the 2nd picture in the link of where it's located.

I also attached where the gasket is located on the front engine bank, it's in between the seam in the circled area in the picture (I highlighted the obvious portion of the gasket). I'm sorry I couldn't find a good rear bank shot. Either way the rear bank is harder to look at, you'd probably should have a tech look at it. Hope this helps.

Valve_Cover_Gasket__Front_Bank_.bmp

Just in case there's still any confusion over the PCV valve location, i edited this pic of my engine to show you. The arrows point to it, it's not the small black cable in the foreground, its the larger black hose in the background. Follow this hose to the right towards the headlights and you will find the valve. The black dianostic port unclips right off without having to unbolt anything. Hope this helps.

post-13068-1114538174_thumb.jpg