Egr Pipe Replacement ?

Jeff

Seem to have an exhaust leak when engine is cold on my 96 LS. Took the car to the shop and they said it's the EGR pipe off the back of the engine that is cracked. How much trouble to repair or how much should the job cost to have repaired ? thanks

Seem to have an exhaust leak when engine is cold on my 96 LS. Took the car to the shop and they said it's the EGR pipe off the back of the engine that is cracked. How much trouble to repair or how much should the job cost to have repaired ? thanks

For a reference point, the EGR was replaced by the PO on my 1990 LS400 for $125 part plus a whopping $608 labor. No doubt much cheaper at an independent.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

Big time hassle to repair. To make the job tolerable, you have to drop the transmission to get to the pipe. Some have talked about doing it without dropping the transmission, but there's a bracket on the pipe that you won't be able to bolt on (if I remember correctly).

Simple.

Disconnect the egr pipe at the exhaust end, complete the "break" if necessary, bend the pipe over 180 degrees, hammer it shut and reinstall.

Worked fine on my 95 LS.

Passes emissions flawlessly.

I did the blank off each end trick on my mk1 LS 400 :chairshot:

Bad idea,the car used ALOT more fuel,as it took longer for the engine to get up to temp.

I swear it was also worst on fuel after it warmed up,i was told theres a sensor in the inlet manifold which senses the air temp coming into the manifold from the EGR pipe..weather there was a sensor or not i found my car ran better with a new EGR pipe....

:chairshot: :chairshot: The replacement pipe is a pig of a job to do...i didnt drop the transmission to replace it,but if i had to do the job again id take the engine out to make it easier.

It took 2 of us two days to change the pipe....like it says in one of the above posts theres a bracket around the middle of the pipe,which makes it tricky to thread the pipe down to where it lives....Its also important to make sure you put the bolt into the bracket,it helps hold the pipe in place and stops the pipe from vibrating,the life of the pipe will be reduced if the bracket bolts not put in.

Cheers chips.

• 1 month later...

I have a BRAND NEW Lexus stainless EGR pipe and both end gaskets; These are still in the Toyota sealed wrappers.

This is for a 1993 LS400. Contact me with PM if someone wants for 70% invoice.

tks

Easy repair. Lower the engine crossmember and remove the trans crossmember. Remove the right cat and you can see the upper mounting blots for the EGR pipe where it bolts to the water bypass. You'll need some good 12mm swivel sockets and long extension. With an hours time you can replace the pipe.

• 1 year later...

I had my 93 LS400 Cal. model EGR pipe replaced with middle 12 bolt also tightened.

To me it is impossible to installed it back without removing Trans. What I did is:

-- to cut brand new OEM EGR pipe into two pieces near top end of the pipe - i had this thinked about a year and it is the only way to do it

-- get a 1/2 inch copper coupler (used for plumbing ) from HomeDepot with a shoulder or blocker in the middle. So make sure, pipes inserted into coupler at even length

-- get wide hose clamp - if you can find a hose clamp with two ssrews it will be better

-- installed coupler on the bottom piece of EGR pipe (the coupler i got from HomeDepot just fit snugly with EGR pipe :P and tighten hose clamp on the middle of the coupler where two pipes are met together

-- you could get 1/2 inch steel pipe coupler somewhere, but i think with hose clamp tightened should do the job

-- installed bottom piece of pipe from bottom (yes, need to remove Cat)

-- have middle 12 mm bolt installed,-- you need a "short" retching wrench (the one with head can be moved back and force) and a 1 foot long stell rod (less than 1/2 inch) -- i use it for adjusting garage door spring

-- attach wrench with rod with duct tape so you can get bolt put into right possition

-- use anhter long piece of device to push the head of the bolt while you are trying to make 12mm bolt screwed in one to two threads.

-- push and pull the 1 foot long rod slowly to get bolt screwed in -- this is difficult one, it took me about 1/2 hours to get bolt screwed in 1 or two threads :-)

-- then remove 1 fort long rod (It is attached to the retching wrench with duct taple)

-- then use you hand to tighted wrench every 2- 30 degree -- no enough room

-- before it is going to be tightered, install top piece pipe by inserting the pipe to the couple 1st

-- then tighten 2 bolts on the flange.

-- then finally tighten middle of bolt by hand

-- so far, 3 months passed, i still happy the way to have it installed....... by the way, to make a decision to cut brand new ($130) inton two pieces is not a easy decision

-- I like to see your folks opinion whether this is a good idea or not....

thanks for reading

If you like to get more details for how to install, please email me at seattle_usa@hotmail.com with you phone #...... good luch

I just got my EGR pipe replaced and also, some more welding work in exhaust done to seal some cracks..

Cost $200 for EGR pipe and gaskets.. - Got it from dealer..

$325 for repairs.. The mechanic told me it was really a hell of a job.. 93Ls400 .. So ur seems pretty close.. Let us know if there is any change in mileage after this is done..

Thanks for the info, The car is at the shop and the price is $629 to replace. I guess if I get another 133K out of the new pipe it's worth the bucks.

• 12 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 6:29 PM, Big brent said:

What does that egr pipe carry.   Is it just exhaust fumes or liquid slso

EGR pipe routes HC, CO and NOx from the exhaust back to the engine.

• 3 months later...
22 hours ago, vissine said:

This is going to be my big task in a few days. I am planning to replace the EGR pipe without removing passenger CAT or dropping transmission.

I finally replaced it. I had to remove the passenger CAT, without removing the darn thing, I had no way to insert the bottom screw (on the top side). I did not need to drop the crossbar or raise the transmission. The car is quiet now. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...