Newbie Question Re: Leather Cleaning

I know this is a lame post for my first post, but here goes:

I just got a certified preowned 2002 RX300 (39kmi). The dealer has put so much gooey armor all and stuff on the leather seats and steering wheel I'm sliding out of the saddle when I take a turn.

Any advice on a cleaner solution and method to get this slippery slime off my seats, dashboard, and steering wheel?

Thanks.

-Dave

p.s.: your are scaring me with all the posts regarding transmission fluid and transaxle problems... ;-)

I know this is a lame post for my first post, but here goes: 

I just got a certified preowned 2002 RX300 (39kmi).  The dealer has put so much gooey armor all and stuff on the leather seats and steering wheel I'm sliding out of the saddle when I take a turn.

Any advice on a cleaner solution and method to get this slippery slime off my seats, dashboard, and steering wheel?

Thanks.

-Dave

p.s.:  your are scaring me with all the posts regarding transmission fluid and transaxle problems... ;-)

Get ahold of a good leather cleaner and conditioner. I recommend Zaino cleaner and conditioner. You can find them here:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/mercha...gory_Code=Zaino

Next, buy a vegetable brush that you will use to get some of the deep-set grime out. Use the brush and cleaner. along with a cotton towel until the dirt is gone. Follow with the conditioner (smells like a brand new baseball glove...Mmmmm) and follow directions for a great-smelling and clean leather seat.

Another excellent conditioner (according to a coworker) is Connolly Hide Care. It softens the leather noticably, although it does not smell like leather the way Zaino does. You can read about it at:

http://www.autogeek.net/conhid.html

Thanks - that might be overkill. The car is spotless. The seats are perfect, as they should be with a PreOwnedLexusCertified... It's just that the dealer's detailer used about 15gal. of Armor-All and the seats are slippery/slimy. Maybe just some mild soap and water will remove Armor-all.

Thanks - that might be overkill.  The car is spotless.  The seats are perfect, as they should be with a PreOwnedLexusCertified...  It's just that the dealer's detailer used about 15gal. of Armor-All and the seats are slippery/slimy.  Maybe just some mild soap and water will remove Armor-all.

I would not use just any soap, as it may harm the leather. Try a leather conditioner first before resorting to anything harsher. I would hope that the Armor-All they used is not the same stuff used on the dash - it may not harm leather but is typically hard to remove. If the stuff on the seats now is a leather protectant, then it shouldn't be too difficult to remove with the leather cleaner.

1. Next, buy a vegetable brush that you will use to get some of the deep-set grime out. Use the brush and cleaner. along with a cotton towel until the dirt is gone. Follow with the conditioner (smells like a brand new baseball glove...Mmmmm) and follow directions for a great-smelling and clean leather seat.

A: You will find a brush designed to clean vegetables is too harsh for leather hides and will cause scratching. Groit’s has a horsehair brush that is designed for leather hides

2. Another excellent conditioner (according to a coworker) is Connolly Hide Care. It softens the leather noticably, although it does not smell like leather the way Zaino does. You can read about it at:

http://www.autogeek.net/conhid.html

A: Connolly Hide Care is an excellent (British) leather product it is meant for un-coated leather (90% of leather used in US and Japanese vehicles is urethane covered) it usually reacts with the covering, at best it sits on top of the leather causing stains to anything that comes into contact with the seating surfaces at worst it will have a negative reaction with urathane

I’m in agreement with SWO3ES a 5:1 solution of Woolite / distilled water is the best cleaner

JonM

Thanks for moving this to the detailing forum- I only noticed this forum after I had posted to the other forum.

Overall, the car is extremely clean - the dealer's detailer did a fine job, and the car was in excellent condition to begin with.

I think I will take a q-tip of cleaner around the nooks and crannies of the steering wheel to get out some of the crumbs. Otherwise, there's not a spot of dirt on the car. Just way way way too much Armor All on the seats and dashboard.

-Dave

The Woolite should take care of that, might take a few cleanings though.

Agreed on the woolite.

The problem with woolite is its to mild for some dirt stuck to leather.

I like to use Sonus leather cleaner. It's safe for leather, vinyl, rubber, and any other materirl inside the car.

Then I apply their leather protectant.

Both wipe on. NO NEED TO WIPE OFF!

I use the SFX sponge applicator Yellow dide for cleaning, blcak side for protecting.

Sonus leather cleaner

Sonus Leather Conditioner

SFX Pro applicator

How to detail the interior

Sorry to veer of topic, here.  Dave, I REALLY appreciate the AWESOME (truly) photograph of THE ONE, THE ONLY, - Sweetness.  Man, how I miss him! :whistles:

Yeah, I miss him too. I wish I could get a jersey at Sportmart or a highlights DVD or something. Most of all, he was one of the few softspoken guys in his field. Thanks for the comments on the picture.

-Dave

I used the woolite at 5:1 as steve recommended, with a boar's hair brush(can be purchased at any beauty supply store for 2-3 dollars)they're very gentle on leather but stong enough to work.Then after the leather is clean I use Lexol leather conditioner.Turns out great

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago I had an upholstery shop owner recommend a light application of baby oil as a once-a-month leather conditioner. Has worked well on all my vehicles (no cracks yet on any seating). Inexpensive and smells good too... :D

I really wouldn't do that. Baby oil is way too concentrated a formula for the leather seats, and especially coated leather its not even soaking in.

I really wouldn't do that. Baby oil is way too concentrated a formula for the leather seats, and especially coated leather its not even soaking in.

I only use dedicated leather cleaning and protecting products.(Thats what they were designed for)

I used Sonus Leather cleaner and Sonus Leather protector on the this volvo X70 the other day.

The Sonus leather c;leaner just gets wiped on and lightly scrubbed with the Sonus SFX applicator (Yellow side for cleaning). Work it in to loosen the dirt, then wipe off with a dry MF towel.

Once they are clean the Sonus SFX conditioner is just wiped on-using the black side of the applicator.. No buffing or drying needed.

I like the way the leather looks after. Natural looking!!

Oh these two products are made in Italy a few blocks from the Gucci tannery,

Sonus SFX Pro applicators

Sonus Leather cleaner

Sonus Leather conditioner

post-10338-1115560488_thumb.jpg

This question really isn't about my Lexus leather, but is about the leather in my new truck. I recently purchased an 05 Chevrolet 3/4 ton 4X4 crew cab and it has leather seats. The dang thing sits so far off the ground that I have a hard time getting out (and I am a tall person) without really sliding my whole body off the leather seat. This is causing the typical "stretch marks" on the leather...which I realize isn't as high quality as Lexus.....and I am wondering if there is anything that I can use to keep it nice and tight? I do clean it with the woolite/water solution and have used Lexol (put it on, left it on all day & overnight...let it sit out in the sun & everything) leather conditioner. The leather isn't dirty and is not cracking or anything, but the way I have to get in & out of the truck really stresses the leather on the side of the seat. Any suggetions other than just change my habits? Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...
You can try a solution of Woolite and water 5:1

I'm going to move this to Detailing

I'm a new (nearly mint 1997) ES owner and plan to give it a full detail in the next few days thanks to all the reading on this site. Not that I think it really needs it, but it's going from the original owners garage to my uncovered apartment parking space. But onto my question, is that 5 parts Woolite to 1 part water or 5 parts water to 1 part Woolite? I've seen the Woolite recommendation in several different posts written both ways, so I just want to make sure.

Thanks, Noya

• 5 months later...

All good advice on the cleaning of leather seats, but one outstanding question I have concerns the perferated seats for AC and heating... ( ps I am a new Lexus owner so I have been living on these boards for a week now).

The manual and the dealer told me to use EXTREME CARE in cleaning the seats as not to damage the heating and cooling portions of the seat or clog up the vent holes in the seat and back.

IS that a factor in all that has been discussed here?

Thanks,

j